2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
The Devil Rays/Rays were the first team in the history of the modern draft to have the #1 pick 2 years in a row. That was 2007 and 2008. The Nationals then had it 2 years in a row in 2009 and 2010. The Pirates stole one in 2011 (taking Gerrit Cole, who's already a monster), and now the Astros are the first to ever have it 3 years in a row.

Think about that for a second...in the first 40 years of the Rule 4 draft, no team had ever had the first overall pick two years in a row. In the 8 years since that anniversary, we've had 3 teams get it consecutively, and now the Astros have had it 3 years in a row.

A few things come to mind...revenue sharing has allowed for teams that suck to still make money and survive. This allows for more patient development plans and even serves as an incentive for extremely low payrolls; teams are no longer reliant on their live gate and thus can afford to bite the bullet for a few seasons. Additionally, the pendulum can swing the other way. Successful teams can garner massive media contracts and therefore afford higher payrolls, often time guaranteeing some modicum of success and keeping them out of the first several picks of the draft.

Interesting phenomenon.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
Jesus Michael Wacha is good. I don't know how anybody hits him. He hides it well and he just throws darts. Watching on TV it looks like it's about 102 MPH

I didn't like Wacha around draft time, but man he's something. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Cardinals organization can develop players with the best of them. Fun team with a bright future for sure.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
I didn't like Wacha around draft time, but man he's something. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Cardinals organization can develop players with the best of them. Fun team with a bright future for sure.

His stuff is unreal. You could tell he was pretty damn nervous heading into the 8th as he wasn't taking any more than 5 seconds between pitches. He looked really wild in those final two innings, but I think that was mostly nerves.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)

I remember a lot of people saying how pissed they would be if the Sox picked him.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
Yeah but I'm growing tired of the Braves. Hoping they flame out early in October.

I agree. I had the sound off during the highlight, and I know Gomez is a major dumbass, but it seems like the Braves are always the ones getting into spats like that. Have some damn fun.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
I didn't think his little pose was all that insane. IMO every Sammy Sosa homer was more ridiculous than that. The Braves handled it in the absolute worst way, regardless

Say what you want about the Braves, but it was over the top by Gomez. He screamed as he hit it than stared at Maholm the whole time. He's probably getting drilled tonight if he plays and it will be well deserved. The Braves are in the playoffs and the Brewers are near the bottom. Gomez looks like the idiot he is.

The funniest part was Gomez acting tough but hiding behind guys.

MLB ran past highlights of Gomez and Maholm's history. Goes back a few years. Gomez has taken Maholm yard a few times and enjoyed it than Paul started throwing at him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 05:37 AM)
Say what you want about the Braves, but it was over the top by Gomez. He screamed as he hit it than stared at Maholm the whole time. He's probably getting drilled tonight if he plays and it will be well deserved. The Braves are in the playoffs and the Brewers are near the bottom. Gomez looks like the idiot he is.

The funniest part was Gomez acting tough but hiding behind guys.

MLB ran past highlights of Gomez and Maholm's history. Goes back a few years. Gomez has taken Maholm yard a few times and enjoyed it than Paul started throwing at him.

You mean his whole team, as they held him back?

According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, Robinson Cano has asked the Yankees for a $300 million contract

.It's another strong indication that the impending free agent second baseman is headed to the open market. Cano won't come close to $300 million in the end, but the final sum to sign him might creep near $200 million. The 30-year-old Roc Nation client is batting .315/.384/.519 with 27 home runs and 106 RBI in 157 games this season.

Per Rotoworld

Good luck with that Cano.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, Robinson Cano has asked the Yankees for a $300 million contract

.It's another strong indication that the impending free agent second baseman is headed to the open market. Cano won't come close to $300 million in the end, but the final sum to sign him might creep near $200 million. The 30-year-old Roc Nation client is batting .315/.384/.519 with 27 home runs and 106 RBI in 157 games this season.

Per Rotoworld

After the Arod disaster, good luck indeed.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)

Per Rotoworld

One of the ESPN bloggers threw some numbers together based on Cano's current performance and how other elite 2b have aged and came up with $211 million as a fair price for him. Thought it was an interesting read at least.