FIRE JEFF MANTO

pettie4sox

Why would you want to fire guy who ,took a team that was already bad at drawing walks who said (paraphrasing) , "That's OK dudes walks are over rated," and got the Sox to take even less walks. After all he got Dunn to take less walks and that leg kick thing has worked wonders for Viciedo. Plus everyone on our team who was there last year is hitting better in 2013 than 2012.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

The problem is that 4 or 5 of the 10 hitters are young/raw or not MLB starters...

Keppinger

Gillaspie

Flowers

DeAza/Viciedo

...and the main power guys are on the downside of their careers

Dunn

Konerko

Ramirez and Rios are the only prime guys on the roster and the hitting is suffering because of it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 02:41 AM)
The problem is that 4 or 5 of the 10 hitters are young/raw or not MLB starters...

Keppinger

Gillaspie

Flowers

DeAza/Viciedo

...and the main power guys are on the downside of their careers

Dunn

Konerko

Ramirez and Rios are the only prime guys on the roster and the hitting is suffering because of it.

Good point. That is why regardless how good our pitching staff looked on paper at the beginning of the year that we we would not be able to compete with Detroit this year.....UNLESS they have a year where KEY people get taken out (Like we had the year where Thomas and Ordonez went down simultaneuosly). Other than that....because of the points that you just made...........I feel that the only REAL chance that we have of moving forward this year......is if Detroit and others just move Backwards because of injuries. REALLY DON'T mean to be pessimistic. but the "reality" is..............It is what it is with our lineup....................and Knightni has pretty much summed up what was viewed upon our lineup from the beginning of the year. Heck...our lineup reminds me of the 68 Sox. We had a TEAM ERA of 2.53 and couldnt win the pennant. The batting lineup was a funeral parlor with arms and legs. Kind of the same thing here.But regardless....its baseball season...............and I still enjoy watching The sox even though it hurt to see them play this way.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 01:14 AM)
Why would you want to fire guy who ,took a team that was already bad at drawing walks who said (paraphrasing) , "That's OK dudes walks are over rated," and got the Sox to take even less walks. After all he got Dunn to take less walks and that leg kick thing has worked wonders for Viciedo. Plus everyone on our team who was there last year is hitting better in 2013 than 2012.

His theory on drawing walks is insane. I want to try and give credit to this organization but man do they seem to be doing some really dumb things recently.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
His theory on drawing walks is insane. I want to try and give credit to this organization but man do they seem to be doing some really dumb things recently.

Exactly. Maybe they can bring Frank in on special assignment to have him instruct the team on the finer points of patience and pitch selection--sort of like the Royals have done with Brett. This gleeful disregard the Sox seem to have for taking walks and exhibiting any kind of a selective approach to hitting is insane. Robin had a good eye at the plate...I sure wish he would try to pass that along to the team.

And yes, anyone who fails to understand the importance of drawing BBs or even just working the count has no business being a major league hitting coach. Manto has to go.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
It's the players .... Not the coach

Well that can be said for alot of firings that have happened in the sports world. You could say the coach did the best he could ect ect. It wont matter because the coach is ultimately held accountable.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
Well that can be said for alot of firings that have happened in the sports world. You could say the coach did the best he could ect ect. It wont matter because the coach is ultimately held accountable.

How many hitting coaches will we go through then?

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
How many hitting coaches will we go through then?

I think Manto gets fired if the streak continues into next week. But if things dont click with a new coach it only makes it easier for a GM to decide what direction to go in. Its just a quick fix to try and spark something.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
I think Manto gets fired if the streak continues into next week. But if things dont click with a new coach it only makes it easier for a GM to decide what direction to go in. Its just a quick fix to try and spark something.

Good point. But what I meant was more that the players we have seem to be meatheads, but that is just me

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
I think it goes deeper. Get when of your scouting and development as well.

Another good point. And being cheap to sign draftee's and signee's when you are cheap you get the ones others pass on. It happens a lot with the pitching. How many times have seen a pitcher that they claim his fastball touches 95 and he's low 90's at best. Same with hitters

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
Another good point. And being cheap to sign draftee's and signee's when you are cheap you get the ones others pass on. It happens a lot with the pitching. How many times have seen a pitcher that they claim his fastball touches 95 and he's low 90's at best. Same with hitters

That's an organizational philosophy particularly with pitchers. Move them to the starting rotation and don't have them overthrow the ball, because if they do that their control suffers and they get hurt more often.

Frankly...it's been incredibly effective.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 06:22 PM)

Very true JR nonsense of not spending any money on the best players available for YEARS has come to roost.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 06:33 PM)
That's an organizational philosophy particularly with pitchers. Move them to the starting rotation and don't have them overthrow the ball, because if they do that their control suffers and they get hurt more often.

Frankly...it's been incredibly effective.

How so?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
And clearly once they got on Don Cooper's staff, their performance fell apart?

Has this "philosophy" been implemented in the minors. If not/why not? I don't think it's an organizational philosophy if they are only doing it at the MLB level.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
I think it goes deeper. Get when of your scouting and development as well.

100% true. I didn't like the Manto promotion in the first place, as his view on walks didn't seem very...modern. It may not make a difference, but I have no problem with him getting canned.

Having said that, we have a huge issue with developing hitting prospects in the minor leagues. I don't know where I read it, but Joey DeMichele basically said that our organization lets our positional prospects figure out things on their own for the most part. If that's true in the slightest, then we're in a lot of trouble, especially if we keep drafting raw/toolsy players. Our minor league hitting coaches and instructors need to be working with our players everyday and teaching them how to make adjustments and get better. These prospects are not going to figure it out on their own.