Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Yep. Surprised this hasn't been stated yet. There is indeed pitching at the major league level, but other than Erik Johnson there really isn't anything of significance as far as starters go. Rienzo is interesting but probably a bullpen arm. Also Hahn might have a preference towards position players here, but if a very highly valued pitching prospect with a high ceiling is on the table you very much consider it. IE Gausman and Baltimore. Gray and Oakland. It might also allow you to flip Quintana or Santiago down the road for more pressing needs.

If I value any sector of development out of the White Sox system, it is pitching. No one was talking about Santiago or Quintana either before they got here. The Sox have produced all kinds of pitchers if you look around baseball.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 07:18 AM)
If I value any sector of development out of the White Sox system, it is pitching. No one was talking about Santiago or Quintana either before they got here. The Sox have produced all kinds of pitchers if you look around baseball.

Yeah, but they don't get obsessed about in our system for 4 years so they don't count!

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Jon Morosi just tweeted, "Mariners had high level scouts at Peavy Start yesterday and Brewers-Padres all week, the sort of thing a buyer would be expected to do."

Now that's interesting.

I really don't think this is a big deal. All kinds of teams are going to have all kinds of scouts in all kinds of places this week. If you saw a Royals scout at the Tigers-Sox game yesterday, what do you think that meant? Selling to the Tigers? Buying from the White Sox? Or scouting the Sox for the current 3 game trip?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
I really don't think this is a big deal. All kinds of teams are going to have all kinds of scouts in all kinds of places this week. If you saw a Royals scout at the Tigers-Sox game yesterday, what do you think that meant? Selling to the Tigers? Buying from the White Sox? Or scouting the Sox for the current 3 game trip?

A Royals scout? Maybe he was just at the wrong game and didn't realize it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)

Just saying interesting in regards to Morosi's tweet regarding them as buyers and potentially looking at Peavy. They have some decent pitching and hitting prospects.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
Okay, now you're just making things up. 1st - Sale has not been on the DL this year. 2nd - Sale has never thrown 126 pitches in a game in his career. Sale is still only in his 2nd year starting in the big leagues. He will never build up the arm strength to go 200+ innings per year if you coddle him. It's become pretty evident that the White Sox are trying to extend their pitchers out a little more this year. I'm sure this is in the hopes that next year or whenever we contend again that they will have built up the durability to be able to go the distance when we need them. I've got a good feeling that Don Cooper and the White Sox training staff know a hell of a lot more than some random guys on a message board and are doing whatever they think is best to maximize their value out of Chris Sale.

Sorry typing on my phone and didnt have exact number but he threw 124 pitches. Also didnt pitch from May 18th to June 2nd. I think that's around 15 days. also has had 3 other appearances this year where they gave Sale 1 to 3 extra days to rest. Sporry i was off 2 pitches. Still not smart on a wasted year to abuse Sale like that.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
Sorry typing on my phone and didnt have exact number but he threw 124 pitches. Also didnt pitch from May 18th to June 2nd. I think that's around 15 days. also has had 3 other appearances this year where they gave Sale 1 to 3 extra days to rest. Sporry i was off 2 pitches. Still not smart on a wasted year to abuse Sale like that.

Your kind of missing the point. Sure this is a wasted year for the White Sox, but it is a tremendous year for the development of Chris Sale. It's the perfect time to try and extend to build him up. If he needs to miss a start, he misses a start. The team isn't going anywhere anyways. It's pretty common to have your young pitchers build up to the 200+ inning mark over a couple years. What do you want them to do? Keep him under 200 again this year? What happens next year then if by some miracle we are competing for the division? Sale will get to mid August or early September and start to burn out because he's never been pushed. The White Sox know a hell of a lot more than any of us on this message board and I have faith they are doing what's best for Sale and for the team.

I love how some people here are experts on pitch counts and pitcher health all of a sudden. Anyone who says that Sale, Peavy, etc. have been overused are liars because they don't know. I don't know. We don't know what the game plan is between Ventura, Coop, Herm, the pitchers, the strength and conditioning coach, etc. The only possible pitcher that you can make a legit argument for that he was overused was Crain, but that could have been orders from Hahn/KW to get Crain in as much as possible to show case him, you just don't know.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Just read a trade deadline chat from CBSSports that Heyman tweeted. It was mentioned that he could see the Red Sox trading Allen Webster.

Wonder if Hahn has asked about him as part of a package.

I suspect this is a player the Red Sox would very much move. Webster doesn't project as an ace starter, but certainly has the skills and makeup to be a solid middle of the rotation pitcher, and pretty soon. Webster would be part of a package I'd assume.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
I suspect this is a player the Red Sox would very much move. Webster doesn't project as an ace starter, but certainly has the skills and makeup to be a solid middle of the rotation pitcher, and pretty soon. Webster would be part of a package I'd assume.

I think a package of Webster, Cecchini, Marrero and Britton would be a good package for Peavy and Lindstrom.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Just read a trade deadline chat from CBSSports that Heyman tweeted. It was mentioned that he could see the Red Sox trading Allen Webster.

Wonder if Hahn has asked about him as part of a package.

webster/owen/ranaudo are all solid prospects, personally i like owen the most even though he is the farthest away. Any of those three along with Cecchini and swihart and I'm ecstatic.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
webster/owen/ranaudo are all solid prospects, personally i like owen the most even though he is the farthest away. Any of those three along with Cecchini and swihart and I'm ecstatic.

That would be a great deal in my opinion. If anything interchangeable I think i would change Swihart for Brentz or Britton. But I'm not picky.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
Your kind of missing the point. Sure this is a wasted year for the White Sox, but it is a tremendous year for the development of Chris Sale. It's the perfect time to try and extend to build him up. If he needs to miss a start, he misses a start. The team isn't going anywhere anyways. It's pretty common to have your young pitchers build up to the 200+ inning mark over a couple years. What do you want them to do? Keep him under 200 again this year? What happens next year then if by some miracle we are competing for the division? Sale will get to mid August or early September and start to burn out because he's never been pushed. The White Sox know a hell of a lot more than any of us on this message board and I have faith they are doing what's best for Sale and for the team.

What they need to do is improve his efficiency so he can throw more innings on less pitches. Building him up with 115+ inning games is wearing him out. Joe Madden never pitches his pitchers like that. Neither do most manager. Leyland, and the tigers weak pen, is an exception. But even he doesn't wear his starters out as much as the Sox do with a dismal team. I'll go with the majority in baseball over Robin Ventura.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I think a package of Webster, Cecchini, Marrero and Britton would be a good package for Peavy and Lindstrom.

I'd really like Brentz in the deal. Something like Webster, Brentz, Cecchini, and one lesser piece would be a great return in my opinion.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
I'd really like Brentz in the deal. Something like Webster, Brentz, Cecchini, and one lesser piece would be a great return in my opinion.

I like that too. Like Almanzar as the lesser prospect? That would be a great package.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
What they need to do is improve his efficiency so he can throw more innings on less pitches. Building him up with 115+ inning games is wearing him out. Joe Madden never pitches his pitchers like that. Neither do most manager. Leyland, and the tigers weak pen, is an exception. But even he doesn't wear his starters out as much as the Sox do with a dismal team. I'll go with the majority in baseball over Robin Ventura.

Once again, you are wrong. James Shields last year pitched +120 5 times, +115 11 times

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...p&year=2012

David Price +120 twice, +115 8 times last season

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...p&year=2012

Sale only pitched +115 5 times last year and never hit 120

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 06:57 AM)
One question I have: are there teams out there who have top-notch position player prospects they'd be willing to trade but aren't interested in Rios or Peavy? If so, getting younger pitching talent in return for them and flipping that talent over for these position players could be an option.

Yep Hahn is going to shock us all , grab a bunch of prospects , hitters and pitchers and in the offseason make a bid for Giancarlo Stanton . You heard it here 1st ;)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
Yep Hahn is going to shock us all , grab a bunch of prospects , hitters and pitchers and in the offseason make a bid for Giancarlo Stanton . You heard it here 1st ;)

I would be ecstatic with Stanton playing at the Cell. I cant even imagine his power numbers there.