2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 15, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
just curious -- how many of the top guys will be represented by Boras?

Will that influence who the Sox select?

Rodon

Jackson

Conforto

Fedde

Those are the ones that are more or less "confirmed" to have Boras representation.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
I hope that the same team that today was willing to eat $6 million on Jeff Keppinger is not afraid of spending in the draft.

I agree Sox tried the cheap route for years and here we are today. cannot even get a decent OF prospect to be called up because there isn't one right now.

Edited by Soxfest

In Keith Law's chat today he reports he has heard nothing about the Sox passing on a top three arm to go under slot with a second tier collegiate. By the sounds of it, if you don't want the Sox selecting Kolek, better hope he goes before they pick.

Alex (St. Louis)

Keith, there has been some talk that the White Sox might pass on Rodon, Aiken, or Kolek for an underslot arm. When you say in your mock draft that the White Sox would like one of the big three arms, does that mean you are hearing they would not in fact pass on one of the top 3 pitchers to go underslot?

Klaw (1:30 PM)

I haven't heard that at all with them. I've heard they'd love to get Kolek, though.

Kiley's first mock:

Pick 1

Houston Astros LHP Carlos Rodon - North Carolina State

ANALYSIS: The Astros decision has been narrowed down to Rodon and Aiken, but it's far from decided right now. We didn't learn who the Astros chose with their last two #1 overall picks until they announced it and, in both cases, the final decision wasn't made until the last few days before the draft, if not draft day itself. The Astros know the track record of #1 overall picks (read: top talent) is better than every other pick, but also aren't afraid to go below slot for the guy they want and won't shy from bucking industry consensus. The interesting decision here is to take the high school arm that checks every box and is the slight industry preference as the top talent or take the college arm with a high upside but lots yellow flags that are starting to add up. The industry perceives that Houston is feeling some heat about getting some results at the big league level soon and that will drive this decision with the talent basically a coin flip. GM Jeff Luhnow has seen Rodon pitch well a couple times down the stretch as his stuff has been better than it was early in the season. I would take Aiken here, in part because he'll likely be cheaper than Rodon (who is advised by Scott Boras), but this isn't a vacuum for Houston. Even those like me who are low on Rodon still think that, in a bad scenario, he's a league average starter and quickly, so it's hard to knock the decision.

Pick 2

Miami Marlins RHP Tyler Kolek - Shepherd HS (TX)

ANALYSIS: There's two rumors you hear a lot on the Marlins pick: 1) that the Oklahoma-bred scouting staff loves midwestern power arms and think Kolek is the best player in the draft and 2) that ownership won't let the scouting staff pass on Latin pitcher as talented as Rodon that could drive attendance in Miami's market. In this scenario, they don't have to choose between the two, so Kolek is the pick. It sounds like Miami would take Rodon over Kolek in the case that Aiken ends up going to Houston.

Pick 3

Chicago White Sox LHP Brady Aiken - Cathedral Catholic HS (CA)

ANALYSIS: I wrote this week about how the White Sox may be a real wild card depending on how the first two picks play out. In this case, they have a easy decision as the top player on my board falls into their lap. If Aiken and Rodon go in the top two picks, that's when things could get interesting. There's a belief that the White Sox wouldn't take Kolek here and are now shopping for below-slot options because their preferred pick, East Carolina RHP Jeff Hoffman, tore an elbow ligament a few weeks back. Hoffman should still go in the top 11 picks, but likely doesn't go here; the rumored below-slot candidates are all college players.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1403161.html

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 16, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Kiley's first mock:

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1403161.html

Yes please. If Aiken falls to three we should be doing cartwheels.

It's funny he mentions the rumor that the Sox are shopping below-slot second-tier collegiate options when yesterday Keith Law said we are focused on the top three and hasn't heard anything concerning that scenario.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 16, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-...mock-draft-2-0/

Baseball America release their second mock and it is full of surprises. Alex Jackson goes to Miami, White Sox get Aiken, and Kolek falls all the way to #7.

Sox getting Aiken would be awesome.

Cubs, Twins and Mariners would be insane to pass on Kolek.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 16, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Sox getting Aiken would be awesome.

Cubs, Twins and Mariners would be insane to pass on Kolek.

I think the Twins are locked onto SS Nick Gordon. I don't think the Cubs would pass on Kolek with Aiken/Rodon off the board. Man the best case scenario would be Rodon going #1 it sounds like. Miami would take Jackson or Kolek, leaving the White Sox with the no brainer selection of Brady Aiken.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 16, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
I think the Twins are locked onto SS Nick Gordon. I don't think the Cubs would pass on Kolek with Aiken/Rodon off the board. Man the best case scenario would be Rodon going #1 it sounds like. Miami would take Jackson or Kolek, leaving the White Sox with the no brainer selection of Brady Aiken.

I read somewhere that Nick Gordon has a pre-draft deal with the Twins.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 16, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
I would love 1 of Aiken, Rodon or Kolek. Why are many down on Kolek?

For me, I just think he is going to have a hard time maintaining his body as he ages, I am not really a big fan of his delivery, and velocity is the third or fourth most important thing to me when looking at a pitcher. I am no scout and he will probably be very good, but Aiken to me has the whole package. Rodon is terrific, though you probably have to figure he is going to have to have TJ somewhere along the way which may slow his time to the majors.