2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 20, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)

Oh I know the game. They can imply or straight up call it robot baseball (I don't remember the name, link is blocked at work), but the bottomline is that those are cyborgs.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 20, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
I actually think he said a HS pitcher high draft choice is the worst, just not drafting a HS pitcher in general.

Why would he say something like that 3 weeks away from one of the most important drafts this franchise has ever had.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Why would he say something like that 3 weeks away from one of the most important drafts this franchise has ever had.

Because he obviously has no idea there is a very very large chance that he will have to be talking up said high draft choice HS pitcher in about 2 1/2 weeks.

I wonder if he will lie to everyone and be excited about the pick, or disapprove of the choice or just say "Rick Hahn knows what he is doing"

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Because he obviously has no idea there is a very very large chance that he will have to be talking up said high draft choice HS pitcher in about 2 1/2 weeks.

I wonder if he will lie to everyone and be excited about the pick, or disapprove of the choice or just say "Rick Hahn knows what he is doing"

At the very least, Hawk needs to say something like, "It's a risky pick, and not something I would do, but our guys (Hahn/Laumann, etc) love this kid and think he's going to be a good one." Something like that. He can't go all apes*** excited about a 17-year-old pitcher.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:45 AM)
At the very least, Hawk needs to say something like, "It's a risky pick, and not something I would do, but our guys (Hahn/Laumann, etc) love this kid and think he's going to be a good one." Something like that. He can't go all apes*** excited about a 17-year-old pitcher.

If it's Aiken, I think he can talk about how he has 4 pitches and doesn't rely on his fastball. If it's Kolek, then it basically goes against everything he said.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
If it's Aiken, I think he can talk about how he has 4 pitches and doesn't rely on his fastball. If it's Kolek, then it basically goes against everything he said.

It would be funny if Rodon and Aiken were off the board, and they passed on Kolek for Alex Jackson.

Probably won't happen, but it's not necessarily the wrong move in the long run.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 20, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)

My custom teams were always all Mcycles with Laser Guns, and I would always win by getting all their guys to low HP and then killing them by beaning them with pitches until they didn't have enough men to field a team and had to forfeit.

Baseball America ‏@BaseballAmerica 21m

Re: Kolek. @jluhnow and Nolan Ryan attended at least one of the Shepherd High righthander's final five starts. http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/...out/#22822101=0

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/...out/#22822101=0

Tyler Kolek invited to Astros pre-draft workout

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Baseball America ‏@BaseballAmerica 21m

Re: Kolek. @jluhnow and Nolan Ryan attended at least one of the Shepherd High righthander's final five starts. http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/...out/#22822101=0

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/...out/#22822101=0

Tyler Kolek invited to Astros pre-draft workout

Of course, it's an online survey or poll, but even his native Texans only voted 53% to 47% to take Kolek #1 overall.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:13 AM)
Anyone before us taking Kolek is best.

I'd much rather take Kolek than a guy like Aaron Nola though. Swing for the fences rather than some safe college arm. I'd be okay with Freeland over Kolek at #3 but if Rodon and Aiken go 1-2, it could literally be anyone for the Sox.

Question for the masses: I want to subscribe to either Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus and am wondering which you guys prefer for prospect information? I enjoy both the Effectively Wild and Baseball America podcasts quite a bit and can't decide which I'd rather give my money to.

Virginia/Maryland is also underway. I'll list the current BA draft rank in parenthesis.

Plenty of interesting draft prospects in that one. Jake Stinnett (66) pitches for Maryland. He's a legit talent who is a senior and could provide some draft savings due to lack of leverage. For Virginia, most people already know plenty about Derek Fisher (30), as he was one of the most touted college bats to begin the season. OF/1B/DH Mike Papi (45) is a little less known around here but he could be of interest to those who like Casey Gillaspie. OF Brandon Downes (171) is worth mentioning. Lastly you have RHP/1B/3B Nick Howard (25) who has serious helium. Callis wrote about him just today actually.

Who are the guys who are rising or dropping on Draft boards the most?

-- Darren K., Denver

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/pipeli...p;vkey=news_mlb

The two players with the most helium are Elk Grove (Calif.) High outfielder Derek Hill and Virginia right-hander Nick Howard. Howard, who also doubles as a first baseman/DH for the Cavaliers, has shown a 94-98 mph fastball and an 82-85 mph slider as a reliever. Once he gets to pro ball, he could move quickly as a bullpen weapon or get a shot as a starter after pitching in that role as a sophomore.

Fun day to be off work!

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Question for the masses: I want to subscribe to either Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus and am wondering which you guys prefer for prospect information? I enjoy both the Effectively Wild and Baseball America podcasts quite a bit and can't decide which I'd rather give my money to.

I'd personally go Baseball America, as they have much more draft coverage than BP and that's what is going to be interesting throughout the next month or so.