Matt Thornton to Boston

Jake

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough crowd here on soxtalk. This guy was Bostons #6 prospect and the #8 prospect in the whole Sally league last year and he more than likely fell to #11 due to the hamate problem(once again we've seen PK struggle with the same injury a few times)....For a guy who, pretty much, has become strictly a LOOGY. I think that's a fair trade with the slight edge going to the White Sox.

Here's a good article from a Boston perspective on what they gave up....

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/ba...brandon-jacobs/

Chicago had long been interested in Jacobs, introducing his name into talks with the Red Sox about potential deals involving starting pitchers (Gavin Floyd, John Danks) during the 2011-12 offseason — and for obvious reasons.

Interesting, KW...I mean Rick Hahn...always gets his guy...Didn't have to give up a SP either.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
So far this is a typical Soxtalk thread regarding Sox player values. Our guys are all worth s*** until they get traded, and then its we never got enough.

Not at all. This is exactly the type player I expected. 10th rounder types for our older players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
What on Earth does his draft round have to do with anything? He got 2nd round money.

You are right. Has absolutely nothing to do with it. Just more of the sentiment from some that either our folks aren't worth anything or we HAVE to trade them for scraps. I still agree that Matt was going to be traded but wish we had gotten a bit more in return

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
You are right. Has absolutely nothing to do with it. Just more of the sentiment from some that either our folks aren't worth anything or we HAVE to trade them for scraps. I still agree that Matt was going to be traded but wish we had gotten a bit more in return

The White Sox got pretty good value for Thornton, especially since he's basically a highly-paid LOOGY now. The only reason, in my opinion, that anyone should be frustrated with getting Jacobs back is that they likely wouldn't have had to target him if there had been any development by the outfielders in the system.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
The White Sox got pretty good value for Thornton, especially since he's basically a highly-paid LOOGY now. The only reason, in my opinion, that anyone should be frustrated with getting Jacobs back is that they likely wouldn't have had to target him if there had been any development by the outfielders in the system.

The only other thing is he'll have to be on the 40 man next year, correct?

Matt's the guy that's on the cliff of old-age that greg thinks Jesse is on.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Brandon Jacobs will be heading to Birmingham according Buddy Bell on WhiteSox Weekly. Said Mitchell, Trayce, and Walker will remain there as well. Mentioned that someone will have to DH every day.

And, Michael Earley, who has better numbers at AA than Jacobs at High A. Someone should be going to Charlotte.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
And, Michael Earley, who has better numbers at AA than Jacobs at High A. Someone should be going to Charlotte.

Honestly, I'd rather see Earley get the ABs than Mitchell. Mitchell could be released and I wouldn't worry about it.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
I think a lot of people are missing the point. Some of us are not complaining about the value of the prospect we are getting in return. I could care less if it's Red Sox's 11th, 12th, or 13th best prospect, I just want someone who has good baseball skills and is a good bet of making the majors, even if they don't have the ceiling as high as Jacobs.

Our minor leaguers that has the best chance of making the majors are Semien and Sanchez, guys who might be role players or average players, but have better baseball instinct and are more likely to make the majors. We don't have enough of those guys in the minors. Getting a Marco Scutaro type of player as prospect in return is a lot more ideal for us at this point.

We already have enough lottery tickets, raw athletes in the system with Mitchell, Thompson, Walker, Hawkins, Zapata, I would even throw in Barnum, and now Jacobs. We will be lucky if even one of them will make it to the majors, and it would be at least several years away. I am afraid it's going to be a long rebuild that keeps on coming up short.

The problem is that the Semien's and Sanchez's of the world are, in all likelihood, complementary players. They're not going to get us to the playoffs...they're bench players, like Eduardo Escobar, for example.

He (Thornton) has been effective against both left-handers and right-handers for most of his career. This year, for reasons not easily explained, right-handers and hitting .320 against Thornton but lefties are batting .173.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
One outing, one loss for Thornton

Can't be walking the leadoff hitter Matt. (Chris Young of all people) Sucks for him, but never upset to see Boston lose.

Side note from that game: Turns out the Cubs did have their 3B of the future in their system the whole time. Too bad they traded him to Oakland, Donaldson is killing it this season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
The problem is that the Semien's and Sanchez's of the world are, in all likelihood, complementary players. They're not going to get us to the playoffs...they're bench players, like Eduardo Escobar, for example.

[/i][/b]

I would disagree regarding Semien. The most eye-catching stat in his second straight excellent offensive season is that he has 66 walks and 61 strikeouts on the year. Not bad for 22 year old middle infielder in AA (leading the league in runs). If he doesn't collapse he'll be appearing on some top 100 lists next year.