Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

I think for Rios, a second tier prospect like Kingham or Bell, plus a couple AAA pseudo prospects should be fine. Like, Kingham, Pimentel and Lambo for Rios and some cash.

I mean who knows its all conjecture but theres about a half dozen names in play for prospects and definitely some names to get stoked about.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for Rios, a second tier prospect like Kingham or Bell, plus a couple AAA pseudo prospects should be fine. Like, Kingham, Pimentel and Lambo for Rios and some cash.

I mean who knows its all conjecture but theres about a half dozen names in play for prospects and definitely some names to get stoked about.

either Polanco or Hanson should be the headliner for a Rios deal. I'd like Polanco, (as long as the Sox could trade for Luis Sardinas in a separate deal with Texas). The second guy Nick Kingham if Alexei is included. Or if Kingman is off the table, two guys with upside like Tyler Glasgow and Clay Holmes.

I wouldn't have a problem including some cash with Rios because its like spending money on a free agent. Instead of a vet, it's for a consensus top 50 prospect. Those guys are more likely to pan out and are more valuable long term for the Sox than an overpriced vet.

Looking at the list of propsects, Barret Barnes, with his power/speed combo, seems like the kind of guy the Sox like to target.

As for Alvarez, I'd take him in a second for the Sox. The comparisons to Dunn are flawed in that Alvarez fills a huge poistion of need for the Sox and he's only about 24 years old. You figure Pedro is going to continue to get better. I'm sure he's always going to strike out alot but he will become a better hitter with age.

About 3-4 years down the road, I think Alvarez and Viciedo manning the corner infield positions would be very good for the Sox. But, Alavarez is not going anywhere. The time to get him was this past off season.

If the Cardinals pull the trigger on acquiring Cabrera from the Indians, it could help the Sox extract a little more out of Pittsburgh as they may have a greater sense of urgency and try to answer that deal.

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)

I think you're right that Rios alone won't net Hanson or Polanco [esp. with word that offers for Rios haven't been what the sox thought they'd be]. Kingham would be a guy to target for Rios, plus two other lower tier guys like you said. If Ramirez was added, then I could see Hanson being part of a 2 for 2 swap. It might boil down to what STL would offer for Alexei if PIT would include Hanson.

Basically, only 2 SS prospects might be in play this deadline-Hanson and Sardinas. If the Rangers get Garza, then Crain alone probably won't net Sardinas.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
FWIW, Marc Hulet at MLB Trade Rumors has a few tidbits. Saying basically Hanson, Polanco and Glasgow would be off the table.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/pros...trade-bait.html

Except in a blockbuster, which it could be considered. Also, it is pretty much just his speculation, nothing there with any sources to back up his opinion.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
FWIW, Marc Hulet at MLB Trade Rumors has a few tidbits. Saying basically Hanson, Polanco and Glasgow would be off the table.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/pros...trade-bait.html

If that's true, I hope the Sox don't move Rios and Ramirez for anything less than Bell, Heredia, and Kingham.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Except in a blockbuster, which it could be considered. Also, it is pretty much just his speculation, nothing there with any sources to back up his opinion.

True enough. Hanson as a SS might be hard to get. Yet there is word that he may not stick at SS, and have to move to 2b. He's had a ton of errors this year, like 24 so far.

The issue with the Pirates, if I had to guess, is they would be willing to move better prospects if the party they were trading with picked up salary. If the Sox were to move Rios/Ramirez, that's $22 million or so in salary just next year? And another $7-8 million this year still? Then they'd still be taking on at least $12 million in salary for '15 if you include the two buyouts.

My guess is that is more than the Pirates will be willing to take on, but considering the lack of other options out there, it might be something they are willing to do if we take on, say half of that money in exchange for higher quality prospects.

I think this might actually be one of the best fits out there.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
The issue with the Pirates, if I had to guess, is they would be willing to move better prospects if the party they were trading with picked up salary. If the Sox were to move Rios/Ramirez, that's $22 million or so in salary just next year? And another $7-8 million this year still? Then they'd still be taking on at least $12 million in salary for '15 if you include the two buyouts.

My guess is that is more than the Pirates will be willing to take on, but considering the lack of other options out there, it might be something they are willing to do if we take on, say half of that money in exchange for higher quality prospects.

I agree that the money can be a very big issue with the Pirates. But doing this move, would not only help the team but the fans too by showing them they are committed to win this year. Their line up could be lethal with Rios and Alexei.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)

I think this is where the Sox willingness to pick up payroll will really help, especially with the amount that is coming off the books at the end of the year.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 07:15 AM)
I think this is where the Sox willingness to pick up payroll will really help, especially with the amount that is coming off the books at the end of the year.

Yeah, I think it will come down to whether Pittsburgh would be willing to actually put some of their best prospects on the block in exchange for the money, or if they are just willing to increase the quality of the talent coming back marginally.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
Yeah, I think it will come down to whether Pittsburgh would be willing to actually put some of their best prospects on the block in exchange for the money, or if they are just willing to increase the quality of the talent coming back marginally.

I am hoping that last years collapse is weighing in the back of their minds as to whether they should make a big move or not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
Obviously, the Pirates aren't going to take on a lot of money, so the Sox would be eating a significant portion of these contracts, so if it's for second tier prospects, I don't see how it helps the Sox get better now or in the future.

If the Sox are including money, it wont be for second tier guys. The Pirates will have enough money to take on those contracts without any money from the White Sox thanks to the new TV deal, but if they want payroll flexibility to add more, it will cost them some of their better prospects.