Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
Yep....many speculated a few pages earlier that this would be the case.

I wouldn't guarantee that it doesn't get announced after the NLCS and ALCS, before the Series... they've done that in the past few years, too

Hahn had a season ticket holder phone call today, and he said free agent news won't happen for a couple of weeks. It seemed weird when he said it, almost like he was saying we will have something to announce, but it will be in a couple of weeks.

They might have agreed on terms or are close, but I am sure they are going to want a physical so it may be a little bit before an announcement even if everything is agreed upon.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Getting excited about the prospect of 150 games of Abreu, Semien, and Avi Garcia. New blood.

I am all for new blood...........anyone else think If we sign Abreu that Konerko is history no matter what he decides?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
I'd have to imagine that Abreu's agent now will give teams time to up their bids. I am sure it is his camp stating White Sox at $70 million. Teams know what they have to bid over to get into the game.

I'm not 100 percent on this...but I think once you put your bids in then thats it.

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
I'm not 100 percent on this...but I think once you put your bids in then thats it.

Seems to me Sox would just be bidding against themselves, because If someone really wanted him they would of outbid the Sox already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
I hope someone can fill me in on how this predictor translator works:

“@enosarris: Abreu's in news, so here's his Davenport Translation (biggest sample): .321/.446/.660. DT for Cespedes .271/.338/.489 (real: 265/.324/.472)”

No clue what it means and I don't really see the validity to it but I found this...

Baseball Prospectus co-founder Clay Davenport devised a stat called Equivalent Average (EqA), which takes all of a hitter's contributions (power, on-base ability, etc.), compares those results to league norms, and calibrates them on a scale that mirrors batting average. A .260 EqA is about average, .300 is very good, .350 is fantastic, .400 is astronomical. Abreu posted an EqA of .308 during the 2005-06 season … the year he turned 19.

Davenport runs translations for Serie Nacional players, just as he does for Japanese league players, minor leaguers, and others not in the majors. He considers the competition in Serie Nacional to be equivalent to high-A ball in North America's minor leagues — the Carolina, California, and Florida leagues. After comparing a player's performance to the rest of his league, Davenport then must establish how players from that league did when they graduated to higher levels. Once he has a good idea of how players typically change between leagues, he translates an average major league player to Serie Nacional. The Cuban player's translation thus comes from looking at how far above or below the average major leaguer he would be.

Miguel Cabrera was the best hitter in Major League Baseball in 2011. Jose Abreu, even after adjusting his numbers to reflect A-ball competition, blew Cabrera out of the water.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
I hope someone can fill me in on how this predictor translator works:

“@enosarris: Abreu's in news, so here's his Davenport Translation (biggest sample): .321/.446/.660. DT for Cespedes .271/.338/.489 (real: 265/.324/.472)”

I'm not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that while DT is our best estimator for this type of thing, it's not really very accurate. It's a pretty old model, I'm not sure if Clay kept updating it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 07:35 PM)
At mlb.com, it currently has the Astros, White Sox and Red Sox as the 3 favorites...

Obviously Boston's not going to announce it during the post-season with Napoli directly affected by that decision.

That was earlier today...if Boston bid just above 40 million then they for sure didnt get him