Sox to Make Hard Push for Granderson

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
I think Hahn is going make trades and not sign any more major free agents at least this winter.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like Hahn will do nothing else other than minor moves here and there, which will mean another 90+ loss season in 2014.

God I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like Hahn will do nothing else other than minor moves here and there, which will mean another 90+ loss season in 2014.

God I hope I'm wrong.

To be quite blunt, you know absolutely nothing at this point in time. For all we know, he may have 5 moves planned.

We'll get a better idea after the winter meetings. It's likely this is pretty close to the team we'll see on opening day, and it's likely they'll lose 90+ games. And, as I've asked many others, did you really expect anything differently?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
To be quite blunt, you know absolutely nothing at this point in time. For all we know, he may have 5 moves planned.

We'll get a better idea after the winter meetings. It's likely this is pretty close to the team we'll see on opening day, and it's likely they'll lose 90+ games. And, as I've asked many others, did you really expect anything differently?

I expected them to be at least able to pretend to try.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
I expected them to be at least able to pretend to try.

The more things happen this offseason, the more I wish the Sox would seriously consider trading Sale. There just seems to be an every-increasing gap between the top teams in the AL and the White Sox.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
If everyone's getting overpaid, perhaps it's time we start readjusting our expectations for player salaries.

On a team with 99 losses, poor attendance and for now a bleak outlook for 2014, how do you suspect this can happen?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)

I disagree with most of what you say here. First off, I think this team is easily a 70+ win team as currently constructed. Our rotation will be better this year with no Axelrod and a stronger Danks. The offense can only get better, and I honestly think it can get way better if a few key things go right. The upgrade from Paulie to Abreu as the everyday 1B will be significant and I'm also extremely high on Viciedo and Garcia taking off next year. Those three guys will make or break the offense, but right now I'm on the optimistic sides of things with them. Obviously C & 3B are big holes and 2B is a big question mark, so we're still a flawed team offensively. The defense should also improve some, but then again who expected the dropoff from 2013 to 2012. Still, overall this is easily a 70+ win IMO as long as we stay healthy and don't suffer extreme bad luck.

Second, I disagree with you that this is pretty close to the team we'll see on opening day. I'm very confident at least one starter will be traded and that a catcher will be added. I also wouldn't be surprised to see De Aza, Gillaspie and/or one of Ramirez/Beckham being shipped out, with Semien taking over in the middle infield and a new CF or 3B coming back in some sort of trade. I also think they'll add a left-handed reliever in free agency. Point is that it's not even the winter meetings yet and IMO we should still expect a lot of changes, especially on the position playing side.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
I disagree with most of what you say here. First off, I think this team is easily a 70+ win team as currently constructed. Our rotation will be better this year with no Axelrod and a stronger Danks. The offense can only get better, and I honestly think it can get way better if a few key things go right. The upgrade from Paulie to Abreu as the everyday 1B will be significant and I'm also extremely high on Viciedo and Garcia taking off next year. Those three guys will make or break the offense, but right now I'm on the optimistic sides of things with them. Obviously C & 3B are big holes and 2B is a big question mark, so we're still a flawed team offensively. The defense should also improve some, but then again who expected the dropoff from 2013 to 2012. Still, overall this is easily a 70+ win IMO as long as we stay healthy and don't suffer extreme bad luck.

Second, I disagree with you that this is pretty close to the team we'll see on opening day. I'm very confident at least one starter will be traded and that a catcher will be added. I also wouldn't be surprised to see De Aza, Gillaspie and/or one of Ramirez/Beckham being shipped out, with Semien taking over in the middle infield and a new CF or 3B coming back in some sort of trade. I also think they'll add a left-handed reliever in free agency. Point is that it's not even the winter meetings yet and IMO we should still expect a lot of changes, especially on the position playing side.

I agree with this, and also, if we end up seeing Semien and/or Leury starting in the infield, plus maybe a new young OF, we may end up closer to a 2011 situation than a 2012 one with a youthful energy and desire to play hard. We have the starting pitching to be a whole lot better than last year.

That said, Hahn still needs to approach the offseason as if we're a shoe-in for 90+ losses because now is the time to do some serious work on the foundation of the organization.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Especially four year 60 million. 15 million a year?? No thank you

I thought he would probably get 16 the way things have been going. On the bright side, I think the Sox can make an offer to Dunn next year and pick up another draft pick unless he plays the whole season the way he started last year.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
I thought he would probably get 16 the way things have been going. On the bright side, I think the Sox can make an offer to Dunn next year and pick up another draft pick unless he plays the whole season the way he started last year.

I really doubt they Sox would do that considering they have been unable to dump him on another team without them giving up a draft pick. I couldn't envision much of a market for an aging DH only player.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
I really doubt they Sox would do that considering they have been unable to dump him on another team without them giving up a draft pick. I couldn't envision much of a market for an aging DH only player.

Granderson's about what Dunn is at the plate, he does provide more defensively, but Dunn is a little better offensively. I can see a team handing Dunn a multi year deal next season, its probably worth the risk. If he accepts your offer you get a guy that can put up 40 HR's for 1/$15M.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Granderson's about what Dunn is at the plate, he does provide more defensively, but Dunn is a little better offensively. I can see a team handing Dunn a multi year deal next season, its probably worth the risk. If he accepts your offer you get a guy that can put up 40 HR's for 1/$15M.

If the market for Dunn was comparable to the market for granderson, we would of had no problem shipping off his remaining contract at the deadline. We had absolutely no takers for a him for a year and half of 15 million a year.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
If the market for Dunn was comparable to the market for granderson, we would of had no problem shipping off his remaining contract at the deadline. We had absolutely no takers for a him for a year and half of 15 million a year.

Again, I think this is another contract that does make Dunn a lot more reasonable for a trade target for teams.