Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
Why does everyone think Seager sucks and can be had so easily. He is a nice player and Seattle isn't moving him.

Don't we pick 3rd like the amateur draft? Or am I missing something.

Nope.

Wite: "I don' think anyone has said ADA sucks."

Me: "JoshPR only posts to say ADA sucks."

Marlins 40 man is full so we pick second unless.they decide to clear a spot by draft time.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Has two 3-team trades so why not another? Rick Hahn said #WhiteSox still considering direct and 3-team deals. Lot of ideas floating around.

Expand

https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN

Yes please

Yeah, I can't see the Sox being gone unless they get both a 3B and a C, plus maybe another LHRP.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 3m

Hearing #WhiteSox looking at catcher Adrian Nieto for the Rule 5 draft. Would possibly trade up to get him. Phegley, Flowers in jeopardy.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo

Unless the Sox know something we don't about this guy, I see no reason to go after him. He's a 24 (just turned) year old who just played in High-A last year. And he has nice stats, but IDK if I would want them to carry him on the 25-man all year.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
Unless the Sox know something we don't about this guy, I see no reason to go after him. He's a 24 (just turned) year old who just played in High-A last year. And he has nice stats, but IDK if I would want them to carry him on the 25-man all year.

If he's not very good, they'll give him back or work out a trade to demote him to AAA. It's not a big deal.

Another Scouting Report

23. Adrian Nieto -

A former Aflac All-American and long-time teammate of Eric Hosmer, Nieto has an impressive skillset for a catcher. When the Nationals selected him in the 5th round of the ’08 Draft, many considered Nieto to be the premier switch-hitting catcher in the nation. And though he’s flown under the radar thus far in to his pro career, he’s steadily improved with every promotion and appears poised for a breakout season.

Because he’s a catcher, Nieto has been forced to focus on developing his fielding, while many other prospects are able to go almost full speed ahead on their work in the cage. As a result, he’s still a little bit raw for a guy that just turned 23. But, he’s come along steadily over the past few seasons. After hitting .302/.397/.462 in the New York Penn League in 2010, he’s held his own in the South Atlantic League over the past couple of years, totaling a .256 batting average and .739 OPS.

Nieto’s two best tools are his power and arm strength. He hits well from both sides of the plate, and he has the juice to drive the ball out to all fields. In batting practice, while batting left-handed, he shows plus homerun power to right field, but he’s also learning to drive outside pitches the other way. His aggressive approach is the only thing standing in the way of bringing more power in to games, and he’s done a nice job of exercising a more disciplined approach recently.

Defensively, Nieto has a strong, accurate arm and hes posted pop times in the 1.8-1.9 second range throughout last season. His receiving is improving to a solid level, and while he still has trouble handling hard breaking pitches to his arm side, he looks like he’ll be able to stick at catcher moving forward. If he can make good on his promise, he could be a solid catcher in the Greg Zaun/Johnny Estrada mold.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
That was written almost 5 years ago so I don't really know if that is relevant anymore. Rather pass on him or try to trade a small piece from the minors for him to be given a shot to start the year in AA. Rule 5 material though? No thanks.

here is a new one Nieto

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
here is a new one Nieto

Still think I'd rather bring him on in a minor league trade. go with Perez or a relief pitcher with our pick. With Hahn being determined to leave with a catcher, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be Perez if he doesn't work out a deal by the draft.

Edited by chisoxfan310

I have a hunch that we're working on a three team trade with the blue jays involving a swap involving Beckham and Larwrie.

Both the Jays and Sox beat writers are reporting teams to be exploring three team trades again... With Anthopoulos being quoted as thinking it gets done.

Again... Beckham and Lawrie are just speculation on my part.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:37 PM)
I have a hunch that we're working on a three team trade with the blue jays involving a swap involving Beckham and Larwrie.

Both the Jays and Sox beat writers are reporting teams to be exploring three team trades again... With Anthopoulos being quoted as thinking it gets done.

Again... Beckham and Lawrie are just speculation on my part.

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier....certainly seems possible