Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else hear Rosenthal on the MLB network? Said he has a mole within the White Sox that will "hopefully produce." This came after KW challenged Rosenthal that he couldn't break a story on the White Sox.

Guess we'll see if Rosenthal is just BS'ing the next time we make a move. Watch for Rosenthal on twitter....

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Anybody else hear Rosenthal on the MLB network? Said he has a mole within the White Sox that will "hopefully produce." This came after KW challenged Rosenthal that he couldn't break a story on the White Sox.

Guess we'll see if Rosenthal is just BS'ing the next time we make a move. Watch for Rosenthal on twitter....

Today could get exciting.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Probably not. It's a mad dash to the airport after the Rule 5. Sure they could do something, but it's more likely to happen after today.

Yes. Rick Hahn was quoted in a story basically saying the Winter Meetings have become obsolete. With everyone with cell phones, and texting and email, they can get just as much accomplished, if not more in some instances, in their own offices. He came to the meetings on Monday and said he got more done at home Sunday than at the meetings on Monday. There is probably some groundwork done, and some stuff should happen shortly. I think a lot of teams want to have certain things done by the holidays.

I think the Winter Meetings still happen because it's easier to network, establishing and maintaining relationships with teams. Having a few drinks, shooting the s***, getting on each other's good sides so it's easier to negotiate and work together. It's also easier to work the 3-team deals like we saw, because you can get all 3 guys in the same room.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
I think the Winter Meetings still happen because it's easier to network, establishing and maintaining relationships with teams. Having a few drinks, shooting the s***, getting on each other's good sides so it's easier to negotiate and work together. It's also easier to work the 3-team deals like we saw, because you can get all 3 guys in the same room.

Even in the modern age, there is nothing that equates to pressing the flesh.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
Even in the modern age, there is nothing that equates to pressing the flesh.

Rick said even the meetings that used to be done face to face in a hotel room during the Winter Meetings are mostly done over the phone. There was that picture of the 3 GMs in a room. I don't know if they were in the same room when the deal got done or they met to go to their press conference or what. They probably aren't going to get rid of them any time soon, but for deals-sake, it appears they don't make much of a difference anymore. Obviously there are other aspects to the meetings that most fans don't care much about.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Rick said even the meetings that used to be done face to face in a hotel room during the Winter Meetings are mostly done over the phone. There was that picture of the 3 GMs in a room. I don't know if they were in the same room when the deal got done or they met to go to their press conference or what. They probably aren't going to get rid of them any time soon, but for deals-sake, it appears they don't make much of a difference anymore. Obviously there are other aspects to the meetings that most fans don't care much about.

Last Tuesday or whatever was one of the busiest days I've ever remembered in an offseason.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
I think we really need to trade Beckham. I want Semien to start from the start of the season to see what he can do

If you believe what RV said, that Beckham never was healthy last season, I think you would want to roll the dice to see if you can get more in July, which would also allow Semien to get a little more seasoning.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
If you believe what RV said, that Beckham never was healthy last season, I think you would want to roll the dice to see if you can get more in July, which would also allow Semien to get a little more seasoning.

I agree. I want Semien to get an extended trial at AAA. What would happen if Beckham were traded and Semien (predictably) started the first 2 months of the year putting up something like .230/.270/.300? We'd be calling for him to get demoted and his confidence is shot. If you keep him at AAA, not only do I think he's more likely to succeed and possibly even force his way up, but if he struggles, he can work it out down there rather than facing the stress and rigors of an MLB atmosphere.

A few facts about Gordon Beckham last year:

1. Beckham hit .287 vs RH pitchers, but only .195 vs LH. That is the exact opposite of what you would think.

2. Beckham broke the hamate bone in his wrist after the first 7 games of the season. He missed six weeks, came back and through July 22nd had his average well over .300. On that date he re injured the wrist, tearing the ligament away from the bone. He continued to play the rest of the year, but hit .240 in August and a lowly .210 in September.

When RV says he was hurt, he is not kidding. I think we need to give this kid a break. If his wrist has healed, there is no reason why he cannot be an above average 2B offensively - better than Semien - and certainly he is already an "A" defensively. There is little doubt in my mind that the Sox are going to commit to him unless somebody knocks them off their feet with an offer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
I agree. I want Semien to get an extended trial at AAA. What would happen if Beckham were traded and Semien (predictably) started the first 2 months of the year putting up something like .230/.270/.300? We'd be calling for him to get demoted and his confidence is shot. If you keep him at AAA, not only do I think he's more likely to succeed and possibly even force his way up, but if he struggles, he can work it out down there rather than facing the stress and rigors of an MLB atmosphere.

You could also say after getting time in the bigs last year and being brought back to AAA could hurt his confidence especially after thinking he has a shot of making it.. Or we could just start him at 3B but I don't think that would be the right thing to do for him

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)

1. Beckham hit .287 vs RH pitchers, but only .195 vs LH. That is the exact opposite of what you would think.

2. Beckham broke the hamate bone in his wrist after the first 7 games of the season. He missed six weeks, came back and through July 22nd had his average well over .300. On that date he re injured the wrist, tearing the ligament away from the bone. He continued to play the rest of the year, but hit .240 in August and a lowly .210 in September.

When RV says he was hurt, he is not kidding. I think we need to give this kid a break. If his wrist has healed, there is no reason why he cannot be an above average 2B offensively - better than Semien - and certainly he is already an "A" defensively. There is little doubt in my mind that the Sox are going to commit to him unless somebody knocks them off their feet with an offer.

Another fact is that he is 27 and no longer a kid. He may get one more chance but its time for him to put up or get out, IMO.

If he wasn't healthy after the 6 weeks he missed then why did he continue to play?? Especially through September?? What was the point if he was hurt? Let him get healthy. I am done making excuses for Beckham and I think you should too. He is 27 and entering his 5th full year and hasn't progressed at all.

I think we should block Semien with someone & make him earn a starting job. No bench, no multiple roles, no "here's the job, go ahead and lose it."

I also have no issue dealing Beckham for value & starting Keppinger at 2B since we're probably going to suck anyway. Make Semien earn the promotion, and if you have Sanchez at Charlotte too then maybe you get a nice little post-ST position battle going on to see who is going to come in & save the day at 2B.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
I think we should block Semien with someone & make him earn a starting job. No bench, no multiple roles, no "here's the job, go ahead and lose it."

I also have no issue dealing Beckham for value & starting Keppinger at 2B since we're probably going to suck anyway. Make Semien earn the promotion, and if you have Sanchez at Charlotte too then maybe you get a nice little post-ST position battle going on to see who is going to come in & save the day at 2B.

Well obviously he will have to earn it in spring training. Nobody has came out and said it was his job to lose.. Even if we do trade Beckham that doesn't mean Semien is the starter, he has to beat out Garcia and Kepp still.

I would rather Beckham be the guy off the bench who can play 2b, SS, and 3B

I agree, I for one am definitely not near ready to give up in Gordo. I think he finally puts it together this season, so long as he stays healthy. I do think Seimen will be a decent MLB'er he needs at least another half a season or a whole season to develops in the the minors. We rush Beckham similarly as we have Seimen (quicker even) and I believe that is why it has taken Beckham so long to put it together. Allowing him to jump to the majors without seeing any kind of failure in professional baseball till he reached the Majors effected his psyche and stunted his growth. I think it would be a major mistake trading him away, and I believe whichever team we would trade him to will recover the Beckham we thought we drafted out of college. He's one of my favorites and I want him to become what he should be on the South side not somewhere else.

I also think we need give Steverson a chance to work with some of these kids. What he did in Oakland shouldn't get unnoticed for the potential he can bring to our hitters with some work.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I agree, I for one am definitely not near ready to give up in Gordo. I think he finally puts it together this season, so long as he stays healthy. I do think Seimen will be a decent MLB'er he needs at least another half a season or a whole season to develops in the the minors. We rush Beckham similarly as we have Seimen (quicker even) and I believe that is why it has taken Beckham so long to put it together. Allowing him to jump to the majors without seeing any kind of failure in professional baseball till he reached the Majors effected his psyche and stunted his growth. I think it would be a major mistake trading him away, and I believe whichever team we would trade him to will recover the Beckham we thought we drafted out of college. He's one of my favorites and I want him to become what he should be on the South side not somewhere else.

I also think we need give Steverson a chance to work with some of these kids. What he did in Oakland shouldn't get unnoticed for the potential he can bring to our hitters with some work.

Semien has over 1000 AB's in the minor leagues. Beckham had just over 200 AB's before being brought up. Didn't even spend a full season in the minors. I don't see how you can compare the two when it comes to being rushed.

The Gordon Beckham apologists are funny. Ok he was hurt last year...but how a about the other 2,000 plate appearances he has generally sucked in?

Trust me, a little piece of me dies every time I open my closet and see my #15 Gordon Beckham white sox jersey that I paid good money for just hanging there. But its over, you gotta give it up at some point. Move on and see if Semien can translate his minor league play to a respectable OBP and good defense.