Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Yup. Exactly. Somehow the Sox have skipped the whole "development" process and picked up three core pieces ready to take swings in the bigs on Opening Day.

Well that's of course if Eaton and Abreu don't suck. I don't know why we're comparing ourselves to the Cubs but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this trade, but i feel they should've been able to get a bit more because pitching is such a premium. During the trade deadline i was hoping the sox would acquire Eaton, he has the tools to be a 4WAR player year in and year out think Denard Span in '09 .311/.392/.415 with average to slightly above average defense in CF while stealing 20 Bags. A future core of him and Semien excites me tremendously.

L Eaton CF

R Semien 2B

L De Aza LF

R Abreu 1B

R Garcia RF

L Dunn DH

R Phegley

L Gillaspie 3B

R Ramirez SS

We're in a rebuild might as well take a full season to see what we have in Gillaspie and Phegley. I still think Conor can develop into a 2 win player at 3B and phegley could very well develop into a 1-1.5 war player.

140 innings with a 1.4 WHIP and a 43% flyball rate from a 26 year old.....and he's a #2 starter in the making? Hector will have a nice career as a big leaguer, but anyone who isn't wearing white sox colored glasses should see that isn't a front line starter just with a simple eye test.

Eaton for Santiago was a fair deal and made a ton of sense for our organization. Eaton may or may not work out, but he's sure worth a shot and Hector Santiago isn't the type of guy that will keep you up at night because you traded him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Would be real nice if he and Semien can get anywhere near their gaudy obps in the minors.

Holy s***, good point. If Semien can translate his ability to draw walks to the mlb level, he would be perfect in the 2 hole when he's ready.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
I like this trade, but i feel they should've been able to get a bit more because pitching is such a premium. During the trade deadline i was hoping the sox would acquire Eaton, he has the tools to be a 4WAR player year in and year out think Denard Span in '09 .311/.392/.415 with average to slightly above average defense in CF while stealing 20 Bags. A future core of him and Semien excites me tremendously.

L Eaton CF

R Semien 2B

L De Aza LF

R Abreu 1B

R Garcia RF

L Dunn DH

R Phegley

L Gillaspie 3B

R Ramirez SS

We're in a rebuild might as well take a full season to see what we have in Gillaspie and Phegley. I still think Conor can develop into a 2 win player at 3B and phegley could very well develop into a 1-1.5 war player.

Frankly, I no longer believe pitching is that big of a premium anymore. The average ERA for the MLB last year was 3.87. I fully believe that a guy like Eaton, who is hopefully something like a .300/.360/.440 player for the Sox (or something in those whereabouts) is far more valuable than a mid 3's ERA starter.

I like Paulino as a swing man (long reliever/6th starter) guy. It'd be nice to add an innings eater/vet right hander/ or right handed ace (push hard for Tanaka if/when he is posted?) to the rotation.

1. Sale

2. right handed ace

3. Quintana

4. Johnson

5. Danks

And after todays' trade, I think De Aza is likely the one out. (I remember Baltimore wanted a left-handed LF. Maybe we match up in a deal?)

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
So right now we are looking at

Sale-Quintana-Johnson-Danks- Rienzo?? Paulino??

I would rather sign someone better then Danks or Johnson to plug into the rotation

Danks is a 3-4 WAR pitcher if he's healthy and producing. He's a risk, which is why he's slotted #4. Johnson showed good command, strike out ability, and velocity. He's going to be rough around the edges, but he's a definite possibility to be a 3-4 WAR pitcher too.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
For all the overrating and overhyping of Sox players that occurs here, Erik Johnson is criminally underrated. Erik Johnson >> Hector Santiago.

I would agree with that for sure. It think Santiago could be better, but he is much further away, and Johnson will end up being a very solid guy in the middle of the rotation.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
For all the overrating and overhyping of Sox players that occurs here, Erik Johnson is criminally underrated. Erik Johnson >> Hector Santiago.

Johnson can be every bit as good If not better than Santiago.

Very pleased with this trade, this is the type of player the Sox need.

I'm not too concerned over our rotation as some others on here but would Colon be a good guy to take a chance on for a year or two?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
Danks is a 3-4 WAR pitcher if he's healthy and producing. He's a risk, which is why he's slotted #4. Johnson showed good command, strike out ability, and velocity. He's going to be rough around the edges, but he's a definite possibility to be a 3-4 WAR pitcher too.

Well there are 5 pitchers to a rotation and we need another, a right hander IMO

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
I like Paulino as a swing man (long reliever/6th starter) guy. It'd be nice to add an innings eater/vet right hander/ or right handed ace (push hard for Tanaka if/when he is posted?) to the rotation.

1. Sale

2. right handed ace

3. Quintana

4. Johnson

5. Danks

And after todays' trade, I think De Aza is likely the one out. (I remember Baltimore wanted a left-handed LF. Maybe we match up in a deal?)

I love the thought of Brody Colvin in the swing man role, he has the ceiling to be your right handed ace if he can work things out. Also would be worth a call to check in on Tommy Hanson and see what his price tag is for a deal similar to Paulinos in length.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
I love the thought of Brody Colvin in the swing man role, he has the ceiling to be your right handed ace if he can work things out. Also would be worth a call to check in on Tommy Hanson and see what his price tag is for a deal similar to Paulinos in length.

There are still a few project type guys floating around out there. It still wouldn't shock me if we worked something with Floyd.