Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
I liked Addison, but he did seem to wear down the past two years down the stretch (his velocity dropped 2 MPH last year). This is a good haul for him.

I had no issue with trading Addy but I wanted the right return. This may be just a little less than I was hoping for but it also is at a position where this franchise could seriously benefit from an upgrade. He's also exceptionally young and, assuming he makes the roster this year (which I'm not sure about right now) he's under team control through 2020.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
Holy crap, that came out of no where. Now it makes sense that the Sox were still adding right handed relievers.

You have to like this deal for the Sox, as now they have their 3B, and they have him under control for the next six years. All they gave up was a closer they really don't need for at least a year or two, in an organization where they pump out quality hard-throwing relievers by the bucketful.

Next up Petricka? Webb?

If I had to guess, Jones out of ST and then up for grabs?

At least it can't be Santiago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
I had no issue with trading Addy but I wanted the right return. This may be just a little less than I was hoping for but it also is at a position where this franchise could seriously benefit from an upgrade. He's also exceptionally young and, assuming he makes the roster this year (which I'm not sure about right now) he's under team control through 2020.

I think this again may reflect the new premium for power.

The one thing that worries me is I saw a quote from Towers earlier this year saying they needed to add more powers to their corners. Why would he say that with this kid in the wings? And then he's traded, so I wonder if he had kind of soured with their scouts.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
Reed's stuff is fine. Agreed about the second part though. Love the trade.

His fastball wasn't nearly as fast as was advertised, as he seemed to be in the 92-94 range as opposed to 94-96mph range like we were told he was at in the minors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)

Replacing Addison Reed is a lot easier to do than getting a 3B. Look at the free agent pool for 3B and closers, you can always create a closer, see Grilli, Jason or even pull one out of your ass. It is extremely tough to find a third-baseman.

Hahn is rebuilding on the fly here and it looks like he knows what he is doing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 55s

GM Rick Hahn on Davidson: "We view him as potential middle of order, run-producing 3B for a long time"

I've said this with every acquisition except Eaton...the Sox continue to seem like every deal is focused on acquiring more power.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)

Less than you were hoping for? This is a fantastic return for Addison Reed. Not sure what you were expecting, but Davidson is an incredibly talented prospect at a major position of weakness for who also addresses our OBP issue. Win all around IMO.

And on top of it, we can now use Nate Jones or someone else as our closer in 2014 and potentially turn that player into a valuable asset if he succeeds in the role. Makes so much sense in a transition year where winning doesn't really matter.

Trade Beckham for a starting catcher now!!! Kidding obviously but if Rick can acquire something at the catchers spot then I'm going to be one thrilled White Sox fan.

Either way I'm actually very excited to watch this team now, didn't think that was going to happen going into the offseason.