2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
My predictions are ass backwards. Hercules getting good reviews, Lucy not so much.

Lots of pressure on Ant Mani, IMO, to not be the first Marvel POS.

Italian version? Mania? Just kidding.

I think the only movie that's debuted under $70 million in their current string is The Incredible Hulk.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:27 AM)
Italian version? Mania? Just kidding.

I think the only movie that's debuted under $70 million in their current string is The Incredible Hulk.

No, it's being made by Apple. Jk

There just seems to be so much going on behind the scenes with Ant Man that I'm afraid it could be bad. Peyton Reed is an odd choice to replace Wright.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:45 AM)
No, it's being made by Apple. Jk

There just seems to be so much going on behind the scenes with Ant Man that I'm afraid it could be bad. Peyton Reed is an odd choice to replace Wright.

I don't think it will be bad,per se, I just think it might feel like less than its predecessors. Changing directors and rewriting like they did is never good though.

I just got back from watching Lucy ....... I will not ruin it by posting my comments, but I will add

this tidbit.

If you are a fan of La Femme Nikita (movie) , Leon the professional, and / or The Fifth Element, the same

director made it.

I sure would like to see your comments,

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
I don't think it will be bad,per se, I just think it might feel like less than its predecessors. Changing directors and rewriting like they did is never good though.

And now 4 actors have left it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:06 AM)

It did work out in the end with World War Z, to the point where they're making a sequel from what I understand.

Expendables 3 was already leaked online, I guess 200,000 have already downloaded it in 24 hours.

That series has probably reached its nadir, although I guess there will be one more. With Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes, Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas...and now adding Kellan Lutz (Twilight) and Ronda Rousey (MMA) for the youth appeal, there's not many 80's stars left. Isn't Steven Seagal pretty much the only action star from that decade who hasn't appeared in one of these?

Next time, please add Arianny Celeste to the line-up or a random Chinese female star just to take away from the testerone level.

Fwiw, Rousey is probably as good or better than Gia Carano, although that's a pretty low bar to get over.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
I know I'm a pessimist about that movie and everything Snyder, so it comes as no surprise that I think that looks awful.

It looks borrowed from 300.

That said, Gal Gadot is hot

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
It looks like Sheena/Conan the Barbarian or a bad Brigitte Nielsen outfit from the late 80's.

Despite being too leggy and model-esque for the part, agree about Gadot.

You are right, Wonder Woman isn't leggy or model-esque

image.jpg

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
You are right, Wonder Woman isn't leggy or model-esque image.jpg

Umm...the more recent tv archetype has always been the Lynda Carter/Megan Fox/Miss America look. The cartoon image you just attached isn't a size 0-2 or even 4. More of a Lucy Lawless look.

I guess you can argue they're "Amazonian" or whatever, but there's no denying the fact that Gal Gadot isn't as strong or muscular, especially her lower body (compared to Scarlett Johansson or the other three)...one of the other top contenders was Jamie Alexander, the Thor/Avengers actress. Of course, there's also talk of her having her own stand-alone movie (and that it wouldn't have been logical/cohesive for her to play 2 Marvel characters simultaneously).

Voluptuous would be another adjective...Gadot, that's just not the word that comes to mind. She's more of a Cat Woman IMO (and yes, I realize that Anne Hathaway and Halle Berry are "curvy," too).

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how it turns out tapping a relatively unknown (other than Fast & Furious) actress.

Saturday Update: Universal reports that Lucy earned a strong $17.1 million on Friday, including Thursday night's $2.75 million early grosses. BoxOffice projects the film could net around $46 million for the weekend.

Making Lucy's debut even more impressive is the fact that its opening day handily topped that of 2010's Salt, starring Angelina Jolie, which took in $12.5 million on its way to a $36 million opening frame. There's no doubt that Scarlett Johansson's rising star power in the wake of her Marvel movie turns helped drive Lucy's success. Unfortunately, early word of mouth looks like a mixed bag with a 58 percent Flixster user score. Reviews are on the fresh/rotten bubble at Rotten Tomatoes as its score hovers at 60 percent this morning.

Meanwhile, Paramount's and MGM's Hercules bowed to $11.05 million on Friday for a projected weekend of $30 million. Star Dwayne Johnson is to thank for giving the film some needed moviegoer appeal, although the numbers are still modest in the grand scheme of things for a $100 million production budget (excluding marketing and distribution). Overseas performance will be the key in determining the film's theatrical profitability. Early word of mouth is also somewhat mixed at 69 percent on Flixster, while critics gave the film 63 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Edited by caulfield12

Don't people skim reviews? How could anybody in their right mind go see Lucy after those scathing reviews. If a movie is deemed a total disaster I immediately cross it off the list. Like Sex Tape. I didn't bother.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 01:26 AM)
Don't people skim reviews? How could anybody in their right mind go see Lucy after those scathing reviews. If a movie is deemed a total disaster I immediately cross it off the list. Like Sex Tape. I didn't bother.

Lucy is right on the borderline at 50-60% positive and negative reviews.

There are a lot of similarities with Salt, the Angelina Jolie movie. If you went only by reviews, pretty much the only movies you'd watch would be the Top 20-30 favorites for the Academy Awards, and 50% of those are movies that bore most people completely to death and leave them wondering how those "artsy" critics could possibly see something in a movie that they're totally missing.

God's Not Dead and all of those movies with Kirk Cameron/Courageous/Left Behind are ripped to shreds by critics...so you would be left with only Heaven is for Real and a split decision on Noah, just like Lucy.

You would never watch a single Michael Bay or Adam Sandler movie, either.

Edited by caulfield12

I skim reviews but they're not the end all be all of if I see a movie or not.

If it's a subject matter I enjoy and others don't, I may still go see it. Lots of great movies had bad reviews. It's all subjective.

If a movie on RT has like 10%, I'll probably avoid it no matter what.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 07:10 AM)
I know that I'm late to the me, but Holy crap was Prisoners good.

This movie will have a longer shelf life (like Shawshank) on cable than it did in the box office. Surprisingly compelling film, kind of flew under the radar and wasn't properly promoted by the studio IMO.

One of those movies you always ask your friends to see and try to find their opinions on it...which are always mixed. But everyone can imagine themselves in that situation and how they would handle it, or reacting as Terence Howard did along the way perhaps.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)

There are a lot of similarities with Salt, the Angelina Jolie movie. If you went only by reviews, pretty much the only movies you'd watch would be the Top 20-30 favorites for the Academy Awards, and 50% of those are movies that bore most people completely to death and leave them wondering how those "artsy" critics could possibly see something in a movie that they're totally missing.

God's Not Dead and all of those movies with Kirk Cameron/Courageous/Left Behind are ripped to shreds by critics...so you would be left with only Heaven is for Real and a split decision on Noah, just like Lucy.

You would never watch a single Michael Bay or Adam Sandler movie, either.

It'd take a lot for me to go back to see a Sandler movie after Grownups. Oh boy, that was a snoozer. You'd have had to pay me a minimum of 100 bucks to go see Grownups II.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)

well I am a fan of most of Luc Besson movies as a director or screenwriter. if you are a fan of Le Femme Nikitia,

Leon, Wasabi or Fifth Elment then you might enjoy the move.

for me, however, I am a fan of his movie, however I find his films in recent yrs to be a waste. I don't seem

to enjoy them anymore. look as he is trying to shock the world with his weird cinematographer.