2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

Yes, the OS rosters are out.

Yes, there are probably reviews of The Show '14 PS4 somewhere.

And Gamestop wouldn't take my PS3 today because at somepoint someone dropped my PS3 and the bottom piece broke off, so it is currently held on with electrical tape. They said they can't take it if the shell is damaged, so I'm out of luck there.

But on the plus side I got $60.10 for a PS3 controller ($10.50), MLB 14 the Show ($40), and MLB 13 The Show (9.60). For whatever reason I did not get charged tax, so I will get The Show '14 PS4 for free.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lizard6king6 @ May 5, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
NHL 15!!!

http://www.goodgamebro.com/2014/05/05/nhl-...tures-revealed/

Love the new commentary!!! EDDIE O!!!!!

Whoever writes that feature set did an amazing job, because that game sounds ridiculous. I can't wait for the NBC Sports presentation. That's my issue with more current sports games is that presentation usually sucks.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 5, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
Yes it is.. The corrections roster should be up tomorrow hopefully. I think they made a few mistakes like Danish, Anderson, Johnson, Rondon not being in the roster. It was a mistake and I think it will be corrected with the update

Full on boner mode.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)
I'm gonna get MLB: The Show or Second Son as a "finished this semester" gift to myself. Recommendations on which one?

Second Son won't last you as long. Even if you do both good and bad playthroughs it's 20 hours. It's great fun, but not earth shattering. A sports game will always last longer if that's what you're going for.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:15 AM)
Second Son won't last you as long. Even if you do both good and bad playthroughs it's 20 hours. It's great fun, but not earth shattering. A sports game will always last longer if that's what you're going for.

Gonna get both eventually.

Got the Show. Takes forever to install everything and I am having display issues on my TV.. Black bars around the screen. Both sides and top/bottom. Tried doing TV settings and changing the screen size but nothing worked.. It is giving me a headache and I don't know how to fix it

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)
I'm gonna get MLB: The Show or Second Son as a "finished this semester" gift to myself. Recommendations on which one?

Second Son was fun for a couple of days, now it's collecting dust. If I had stuck with it, apparently it can be beaten in like 7 hours.

Compare that to MLB 14 The Show and Jose Abreu and endless reason to fire the console up? If you're choosing between the two, it seems like an easy call.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:39 AM)
Got the Show. Takes forever to install everything and I am having display issues on my TV.. Black bars around the screen. Both sides and top/bottom. Tried doing TV settings and changing the screen size but nothing worked.. It is giving me a headache and I don't know how to fix it

That's always been common in The Show.

You need to make the adjustments within the game - vertical and horizontal screen size.

The IGN "all out, two paragraph review update".

Here’s the good news regarding the PS4 version of MLB 14: The Show: it maintains complete feature parity with the PS3 edition. Absolutely nothing is lost. But that’s the semi-bad news: nothing – outside of a few new animations sprinkled in – is gained, either. The key difference is in the raw visuals, which should make you happy. Where the PS3 game recommends you play at 720p, The Show soars in 1080p on PS4. This is a gorgeous port, no doubt. Players look fantastic – easily on-par with the hoopsters of NBA 2K14 on PS4 – and the ballparks have been given a much-needed refresh.

But it’s not all peanuts and Cracker Jacks; the loading times are abysmal on the new console, and a stuttering framerate during many non-gameplay shots drag down the otherwise stunning broadcast-like presentation. Meanwhile, the game’s other minor annoyances – all detailed in the rest of this review – remain. If you’ve got a PS4, there’s no debating it: the next-gen version is the no-brainer version to buy – but only if you’ve been holding out and don’t already have it on PS3.

Edited by Steve9347

I was an xbox 360 owner and was dying to play the show, it was my main reason for picking up a ps4 this time around. I absolutely cannot wait to get off work and fire this bad boy up.

I haven't played a quality MLB game since MVP.

Has anyone played this yet? The YouTube videos curiously don't have Jose Abreu in any White Sox lineups which have me concerned that we're going to get a generic face for the AL's HR and RBI leader. I'd return this b**** without opening it if that's the case.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Has anyone played this yet? The YouTube videos curiously don't have Jose Abreu in any White Sox lineups which have me concerned that we're going to get a generic face for the AL's HR and RBI leader. I'd return this b**** without opening it if that's the case.

Why would you play with anything but OS rosters?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Why would you play with anything but OS rosters?

OS rosters always come with two things.

A generated player face and not a picture.

Unrealistic player faces.

Does Jose Abreu have a picture in the game? Does he look like Jose Abreu? My interest in the game this year entirely revolves around him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)

Does Jose Abreu have a picture in the game? Does he look like Jose Abreu? My interest in the game this year entirely revolves around him.

lol Jesus Christ Steve, do you have to stare at Jose Abreu's face while you're playing?

He won't have a picture in this game, even in the official rosters. It's just how it is with players who haven't appeared in the game before.

I'll go pick up the game later tonight.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)

Jose Abreu isn't even in the game straight from retail.

He wont be added until an official roster update, which I believe is happening on the 8th.

So again, no Jose Abreu right out of the box. Konerko is the Sox 1B for the time being.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)

He wont be added until an official roster update, which I believe is happening on the 8th.

So again, no Jose Abreu right out of the box. Konerko is the Sox 1B for the time being.

Abreu's in the PS3 version though right? It's been a whole month, he should have been added a while ago. Same with Tanaka.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD, YES!

picking this badass mofo up at noon today, will be playing it TONIGHT

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
lol Jesus Christ Steve, do you have to stare at Jose Abreu's face while you're playing?

He won't have a picture in this game, even in the official rosters. It's just how it is with players who haven't appeared in the game before.

I'll go pick up the game later tonight.

That's kind of the point of having an amazing badass system with super realistic player faces. I get every single strand of hair on Dustin Pedroia's face, but Abreu's going to look like s***?

Is he in an update, at least?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Abreu's in the PS3 version though right? It's been a whole month, he should have been added a while ago. Same with Tanaka.

I don't know, I have PS4. I just watched a video of Sox gameplay on PS4 and there was no Abreu, and what I read said that he wouldn't be added to the roster until the first roster update which should be May 8th. I would assume that PS3 would be different since it has already been out, but PS4 most likely doesn't get the same patches as the PS3 does.