Ventura to get extended

Dunt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see why some don't like it and why some like it.

Me personally, I like it because like others have mentioned, it gives stability to the young guys through this rebuild. Remember, we have young guys that are wiling to prove themselves now, now that they finally have a chance to play everyday unlike Rios and Keppinger last year (I think Davidson will start at 3B).

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)

Me personally, I like it because like others have mentioned, it gives stability to the young guys through this rebuild. Remember, we have young guys that are wiling to prove themselves now, now that they finally have a chance to play everyday unlike Rios and Keppinger last year (I think Davidson will start at 3B).

Better to extend him than have him go through the season as a lame duck if people actually want him there. But a month on the field that looks like any month last year and I have dibs on the Fire ventura thread.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Not a big deal either way, but... I'd think the time for this would be after, or at earliest during, the 2014 season. After last year's atrocious showing, but balanced against 2012 overachievement, I think 2014 would be the telling factor.

I'm left wondering why he took the extension now when he wouldnt' take it after 2012.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
I'm left wondering why he took the extension now when he wouldnt' take it after 2012.

I'd rather he agree to extension now, coming off of his first bad year, as opposed to accepting it after his first season. At least we now know he's willing to stick with it, regardless of how the team performs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
I think the team is headed in a good direction and its evident from the front office down. I like what they have been doing.

There is certainly nothing to indicate that the coaching staff is the right direction for this franchise. The front office may overall be doing a good job but it has nothing to do with Ventura

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
There is certainly nothing to indicate that the coaching staff is the right direction for this franchise. The front office may overall be doing a good job but it has nothing to do with Ventura

Based on what? They've had jack s*** to work with since he started.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)

JR agreed to this move because he thinks Robin is going to play 3rd base.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
I think the team is headed in a good direction and its evident from the front office down. I like what they have been doing.

Same. Im really liking the direction this franchise is headed. If they slow down the aggressive promotions of their minor leaguers, I will be really happy. I think having Robin around will play a huge part in Davidson's development.

I don't have a problem with it. We are rebuilding the roster. It's going to be on Robin and his staff to help shape and gel this new, young core together. There are expectations for this team to improve this season and get back to playing fundamental baseball. If the staff can;t make that happen, it's on them, but I'm not going to judge Robin on the aging, flawed roster he inherited.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
So you agree with me that there's nothing to indicate the coaching staff is the right direction for this team?

From what I understand in the philosophy of the rebuilding process, I think he is the right guy for the job. I think he and Hahn are on the same page.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Because we lost 99 games while playing fundamentally awful baseball while having a 120 million dollar payroll. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to extend him now?

I presume it has to do with the fact that his contract was up at the end of the year (or something like that) and they don't want a lame duck manager. Ventura had an absolutely fantastic first season and while last season was disappointing it wasn't as if people were expecting the club to be a playoff team. I don't have an issue with that.

I think in a rebuild its VERY important to have a manager on the same page as you if you are a GM. Otherwise the players you want to play in certain situations wont play and could possibly hurt morale and their growth. For example, Ozzie would probably still trot out Konerko for 75% of the AB's whereas I believe Hahn only wants him to play against lefties and not all the time.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
I'm somewhere between "I like this" and "don't really care", but I don't dislike it.

I agree with this. As long as Robin stops giving away so many outs I am fine with it. Stop with the sacrifice bunting in early innings and it's fine.