2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
But he is immediately better than what they HAD, so it is an upgrade. All they needed was 'average' last year and they were in the playoffs.

No argument there. I just want to temper expectations. The guy is 28 and only got $3M guaranteed for a reason.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Denver and Seattle are gonna be really, really good. Maybe calling them a "mega squad" is a little silly, but barring injuries those guys gotta be the favorites.

Well Denver is in the AFC so that eliminates one obstacle to the superbowl. I dont think either one are the dominant forces that we've seen at times in the NFL. I fully expect two completely different teams in the Superbowl.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
Well Denver is in the AFC so that eliminates one obstacle to the superbowl. I dont think either one are the dominant forces that we've seen at times in the NFL. I fully expect two completely different teams in the Superbowl.

One thing that scares me is that SF is already pretty loaded with young talent on rookie contracts and they're sitting on double-digits of draft picks. If they are smart about how they use those they could really surround the guys they have with a ton.

Young and Houston were 12th and 19th in PFF's pass rushing productivity, respectively out of 37 4-3 DE that played half or more of their team's snaps.

It's kind of like eFG% in basketball, where it is (disruptions/passing snaps), but with added weight for QB hits and sacks. Houston and Young have very high rates of hurries (top 5 in NFL) but converted less often on hits and sacks.

That doesn't necessarily mean you could stick them on Team X and they would do the same thing. PFF's ratings aren't like WAR, which tries to capture a player's true contribution, independent of external factors like luck, ballpark, teammates, etc. That's much harder to do with football. It is descriptive of how productive a player was.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
Young and Houston were 12th and 19th in PFF's pass rushing productivity, respectively out of 37 4-3 DE that played half or more of their team's snaps.

It's kind of like eFG% in basketball, where it is (disruptions/passing snaps), but with added weight for QB hits and sacks. Houston and Young have very high rates of hurries (top 5 in NFL) but converted less often on hits and sacks.

That doesn't necessarily mean you could stick them on Team X and they would do the same thing. PFF's ratings aren't like WAR, which tries to capture a player's true contribution, independent of external factors like luck, ballpark, teammates, etc. That's much harder to do with football. It is descriptive of how productive a player was.

Within that system, and with the players surrounding him. Mark Anderson killed it with the Patriots. Went to the Bills, in a simlilar style of play, and absolutely bombed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
One thing that scares me is that SF is already pretty loaded with young talent on rookie contracts and they're sitting on double-digits of draft picks. If they are smart about how they use those they could really surround the guys they have with a ton.

They should scare a lot of teams. The NFL isnt a static league led by the same talent year over year like the NBA. Its a team sport and small things such as the loss of a LT could severely impact a team's playoff chances.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Dude needs a hobby other than b****ing about the Bears.

In all fairness, he does play video games with Ray Lewis, make bad commercials, and bang lots of skanks.

Great news about Tillman!

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
In all fairness, he does play video games with Ray Lewis, make bad commercials, and bang lots of skanks.

Great news about Tillman!

Rumor has it Tillman gave Bears hometown discount to stay and probably retire.

Sound familiar?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
Rumor has it Tillman gave Bears hometown discount to stay and probably retire.

Sound familiar?

Hometown discount or realized he is 33 years old and wasnt going to get the kind of money or contract offers he may have been hoping for?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
Hometown discount or realized he is 33 years old and wasnt going to get the kind of money or contract offers he may have been hoping for?

Probably a little bit of both. Peanut has been on the score a lot in the last couple months, and he keeps saying he wants 2 more years and then wants to retire. considering how this season unfolded with his injuries he is probably going year to year.