The Official 2014 Opening Day thread

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillaspie is a versatile hitter and left-handed. I don't want to see him get many ABs against LHP, but for now I'm not going to lose my mind over it.

Surprised about ADA. I have a feeling we're trying to trade both ADA and Gillaspie and this may influence their playing time until those things happen.

Makes perfect sense to have Lindstrom as closer. If he put up last year's numbers but as a closer, you could get a bunch for him at the deadline. It keeps Jones's arbitration value down. Works for me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
Just to make this connection...this lineup is a really good example of why I disliked this roster construction so much.

We're playing the "win now" guy in LF and benching the guy we need to develop because of RH/LH matchups.

We're spending a roster spot on a guy to give him his last hurrah and he's not playing on opening day.

We're playing 2 "win now", lefty-righty matchup guys to try to win the game, and then throwing out a completely inadequate #3 hitter who has his replacement already procured.

We constructed a roster full of starters who need time to develop and a long-time tribute guy, then threw in a couple "win this game today" platoon guys and suddenly we're playing the win-now guys because gotta win the game.

Just a great example of why I complained so much about the roster construction.

You also complained when Konerko came back saying he would play too much and take ABs away from Abreu. Now you are complaining the 25th man on the roster isn't in the Opening Day line up. Obviously complaining is your hobby, but make up your mind what you are going to complain about.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Gillaspie is a versatile hitter and left-handed. I don't want to see him get many ABs against LHP, but for now I'm not going to lose my mind over it.

Surprised about ADA. I have a feeling we're trying to trade both ADA and Gillaspie and this may influence their playing time until those things happen.

Makes perfect sense to have Lindstrom as closer. If he put up last year's numbers but as a closer, you could get a bunch for him at the deadline. It keeps Jones's arbitration value down. Works for me.

This.

If Lindstrom puts up good numbers and we can flip him for a good prospect, I'm down. Then Webb or Jones can step into the role and we'll see if we then want to trade them.

I like the organizations ability to churn out closers.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Actually it's being dissected as if that's where we are not heading.

i dont think it would dissected at all if that were the case. I mean come on, De Aza or Viciedo. Who cares. Similar numbers, one is a little older, neither seem to be in long term plans.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
i dont think it would dissected at all if that were the case. I mean come on, De Aza or Viciedo. Who cares. Similar numbers, one is a little older, neither seem to be in long term plans.

And crying about roster construction right now is silly anyway. Injuries, non performance, trades...the roster will look different in a month, let alone the entire season. If De Aza and/or Tank show they should be playing every day, they will be playing every day, either with the White Sox or somewhere else.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
1. So what happens to the guy we're actually trying to develop? He sits on the bench too, doesn't stay sharp, and then we wind up cutting him loose next year when his arb cost goes up?

2. All sorts of problems with that. Why's he even there if he's not going to play in games like this? Why's he making lineup decisions?

3. And that line is supposed to impress? It's tolerable as a back of the lineup/platoon guy, but that slash line would be among the bottom of the league in slash lines out of the 3 spot. The MLB average in 2013 out of the 3 slot was a .799 OPS.

4. Then they should have put a roster together to act like it. Instead they're carrying a guy as a tribute and another guy who shouldn't be above AA ball, and they have so little confidence in the rest of their lineup that they have a platoon 3b who put up a .734 OPS against righties last year batting 3rd.

1) Viciedo is going to play. He's also going to sit. This kind of thing is going to happen. Complaining about him not being in one game is more than overreacting.

2) Konerko wants to establish the idea that he's a part time player, and Ventura deferred to Konerko's judgment. That's out of respect for a veteran's belief.

3) I never suggested it was impressive nor good, but Ventura wanted to break up the lineup and wants contact out of the 3 hole. I would prefer Dunn, but I don't mind this at all.

4) They did. They have a platoon set for the DH position and one of those guys just so happens to be one of the most lauded players in franchise history. Gillaspie happens to be the best 3B on the roster against right handed pitching and expecting him to improve isn't all that far fetched. It's also apparent that the Sox have a lot of faith in Nieto's ability behind the plate.

Relax and enjoy opening day. Sheesh.

Such angst, my White Sox fan brothers.

I know some of you are youngsters. But, for me at age 55 -- in no way thinking I'm speaking for anyone else but me -- I try to spend AT LEAST the first month of every new baseball season enjoying the game, focusing on the positives I can spot (instead of the negatives which any seasoned fan can invariably spot), and basically just renewing a life-long love affair with the great sport of baseball.

Why deprive yourself of a period of pure joy? There's plenty of time to strategize, and analyze, and criticize. In my opinion, there's a positive mental health benefit in giving yourself the gift of just enjoying the sport you love.

At least for a little while. Especially after this winter of the endless Polar Vortices!

Go White Sox 2014. Enjoy the season, everyone!

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Such angst, my White Sox fan brothers.

I know some of you are youngsters. But, for me at age 55 -- in no way thinking I'm speaking for anyone else but me -- I try to spend AT LEAST the first month of every new baseball season enjoying the game, focusing on the positives I can spot (instead of the negatives which any seasoned fan can invariably spot), and basically just renewing a life-long love affair with the great sport of baseball.

Why deprive yourself of a period of pure joy? There's plenty of time to strategize, and analyze, and criticize. In my opinion, there's a positive mental health benefit in giving yourself the gift of just enjoying the sport you love.

At least for a little while. Especially after this winter of the endless Polar Vortices!

Go White Sox 2014. Enjoy the season, everyone!

Thank you. Great post

THIS IS REAL!!

Ya know, I don't hate(nor love) the Gillaspie in the 3 hole move. I kinda liken it to the Ramirez move to the 3 hole. Batting him 3rd should get him a lot of good pitches to hit, and based on fangraphs he was an above average fastball hitter...But then again based on the whole fastball logic ADA was the 2nd best fastball hitter on the team.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)

Not a little, a lot. 5 years. I can deal with it if it's showcasing for trade, otherwise dumb.