Adam Dunn appears to be back!

sin city sox fan

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
Too much cash. He should get 4 mill a year max for 2-3 years and I kick myself for even going that high. Otherwise let him walk. Nobody's going to pay this guy. What did AJP get this year? No way 9 mill for Dunn.

Double that. Just sayin.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox can get 3/4 Dunn's production at 1/4 the cost and maybe better production just from Viciedo. There is zero chance Dunn is back. I'm not even saying Viciedo is anything special -- thing is, neither is Adam Dunn at this point. What, his bounce back year is 230/330/500? That's simply not worth what he'll want to get paid, and that's best case scenario as far as his production.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:29 AM)
The Sox can get 3/4 Dunn's production at 1/4 the cost and maybe better production just from Viciedo. There is zero chance Dunn is back. I'm not even saying Viciedo is anything special -- thing is, neither is Adam Dunn at this point. What, his bounce back year is 230/330/500? That's simply not worth what he'll want to get paid, and that's best case scenario as far as his production.

They will not get close to the number of walks Dunn takes. It's about Dunn's ability to not make outs. He typically makes less outs than most guys on the team.

I've said it prior posts.

If Dunn finishes the season about where he is now - .223 .365 .440 .805 -- and the Sox stay in contention for at least a wild card, then:

A) I don't think he'll be traded, and

B) I think there is slightly better than a 50% chance he'll be back, probably on a 2-year deal. I'd guess at roughly half of what he's making now.

The Sox will need lefty power. There is no one in their system capable of providing it. And they'd have to spend just as much or more to try to get a free agent to fill Dunn's shoes.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:29 AM)

Viciedo is going to be getting a pretty happy raise next year as he knocks another year off towards free agency.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Would you make him a qualifying offer in the hopes that he declines it and the team gets a supplimental pick?

No. Would you want Adam Dunn on a 1 year, $14 million deal next year? Not at his current production, I would not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
No. Would you want Adam Dunn on a 1 year, $14 million deal next year? Not at his current production, I would not.

No way in hell.

I can't believe some people are softening on the Dunn issue. One year or two year contract at the most, please. A Keppinger-like deal, please. Or just forget about Dunn and move on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
No way in hell.

I can't believe some people are softening on the Dunn issue. One year or two year contract at the most, please. A Keppinger-like deal, please. Or just forget about Dunn and move on.

He's still productive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
But not anywhere close to $14 million a year productive. Fangraphs has him being worth 0.1 WAR this season.

I never said he was. I don't care about WAR. It probably penalizes him for bring a DH. He walks and he hits bombs.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
I never said he was. I don't care about WAR. It probably penalizes him for bring a DH. He walks and he hits bombs.

Actually it penalizes him more for occasionally playing 1b, and let's just say it this way, when fangraphs says he might be worth $1-2 million this year, I'm not going to pay him $14 million. It really is that simple.

You might well be able to talk me into paying him more than $2 million to give LH balance to the lineup, but no way on Earth does a player like that get a QO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Actually it penalizes him more for occasionally playing 1b, and let's just say it this way, when fangraphs says he might be worth $1-2 million this year, I'm not going to pay him $14 million. It really is that simple.

You might well be able to talk me into paying him more than $2 million to give LH balance to the lineup, but no way on Earth does a player like that get a QO.

Who said anything about paying Dunn $14m? I said he's still productive. That's all.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Would you make him a qualifying offer in the hopes that he declines it and the team gets a supplimental pick?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Who said anything about paying Dunn $14m? I said he's still productive. That's all.

Right there, it was asked about 36 minutes ago and that was specifically what we were discussing. The thread itself, I should add, also has the subtitle of "offering him a new contract". And the post you replied to was on that subject (and a reply to my post saying I would not offer him a QO).

After 3+ years of b****ing about Dunn and his production, were on the verge from getting out from under his contract to move on and some would consider bringing him back? Oi!

Would rather sign Paul Reubens to handle the DH duties. Who knows, maybe we could get Cowboy Curtis in the deal as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
Right there, it was asked about 36 minutes ago and that was specifically what we were discussing. The thread itself, I should add, also has the subtitle of "offering him a new contract". And the post you replied to was on that subject (and a reply to my post saying I would not offer him a QO).

I was responding to Greg's point about "softening on Dunn" by saying he's "still productive." I never advocated giving him a QO.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
After 3+ years of b****ing about Dunn and his production, were on the verge from getting out from under his contract to move on and some would consider bringing him back? Oi!

Would rather sign Paul Reubens to handle the DH duties. Who knows, maybe we could get Cowboy Curtis in the deal as well.

If you can get a guy that's going to end up top 5 in BB's and HR's for $5M, you really have to consider it. Dunn strikes me as the type of guy that would be willing to take a big pay cut for the sake of loyalty and making up for the money the Sox lost on his contract.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
If you can get a guy that's going to end up top 5 in BB's and HR's for $5M, you really have to consider it. Dunn strikes me as the type of guy that would be willing to take a big pay cut for the sake of loyalty and making up for the money the Sox lost on his contract.

Just to stress again, "$5 million" for Adam Dunn would be an overpay based on the advanced metrics (both pages). It would not be "making up for the money the Sox lost on his contract" unless he significantly improved.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Just to stress again, "$5 million" for Adam Dunn would be an overpay based on the advanced metrics (both pages). It would not be "making up for the money the Sox lost on his contract" unless he significantly improved.

And this would be another case where "advanced metrics" would be really stupid.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
And this would be another case where "advanced metrics" would be really stupid.

You don't need advanced metrics to tell you a DH only 34 year old that hits 25-30 HRs a year but can't hit above 230 isn't worth anything to anyone. Seriously, he'll be lucky to get a two year deal totaling 10 million. Much more likely is a one year deal at 4-6 million.

No thanks, the Sox have better, cheaper options.