AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
Lol, Robin thinks Webb is his long guy. Robin is too clueless to realize Webb should close.

With our SP exiting games early so often this year I have no problem with them using Webb in a long man type role to bridge the gap....Beats throwing out the other options for 1 inning a piece if they're lucky.

Belisario has started to come around lately in multiple inning outings so maybe soon they can utilize him in that role while moving Webb to closer and Lindstrom to set up.

He doesn't strike people out like Jenks did, but he gives off the same nail biting vibe as Bobby so often did. Both guys got/get by by not giving up the long ball so teams really gotta string together some hits to get to him.

I'm totally okay not putting a young guy in the closer role without at least a partial season of seasoning. It's worth losing a few games over. I think this paid off with Reed, for instance. Webb has the makings of a very good closer, but he's also a guy who was pretty much off the map 18 months ago. You don't want the pressure to bring back his non-strike-throwing demons or whatever else tends to happen to overwhelmed young guys thrown into that spot. Let's get him comfortable and confident in MLB first.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
I'm totally okay not putting a young guy in the closer role without at least a partial season of seasoning. It's worth losing a few games over. I think this paid off with Reed, for instance. Webb has the makings of a very good closer, but he's also a guy who was pretty much off the map 18 months ago. You don't want the pressure to bring back his non-strike-throwing demons or whatever else tends to happen to overwhelmed young guys thrown into that spot. Let's get him comfortable and confident in MLB first.

This. Especially with the fragility of this bullpen. Can't take another guy falling off the wagon right now.

Edited by ScottyDo

How much input does the pitching coach typically have on deciding who the closer is? Depends on the pitching coach? Does coop get media questions about who the closer will be or is that only Robin? I can't remember the last time we had a closer issue, and I've never thought about it.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:29 AM)
How much input does the pitching coach typically have on deciding who the closer is? Depends on the pitching coach? Does coop get media questions about who the closer will be or is that only Robin? I can't remember the last time we had a closer issue, and I've never thought about it.

Coop was asked about Lindstrom as closer after Cleto came out to start the 9th in the 14 inning game. He was very prickly about it, in standard Coop fashion. I imagine he has a fair amount of input but not final say or anything. He definitely pretended to support Lindstrom, FWIW.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:29 AM)

2012 started off wayyyyy worse. Santiago started out as closer, then they went to Thornton, and 5 blown saves later they finally went with Reed.

The first 10 innings split between those first 2 resulted in 23 hits, 4 walks, 11 ERs and 6 HRs. Lindstroms first 10 innings have resulted in 11 hits, 4 walks, 3 ERs and 0 HRs.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 11:51 PM)
2012 started off wayyyyy worse. Santiago started out as closer, then they went to Thornton, and 5 blown saves later they finally went with Reed.

The first 10 innings split between those first 2 resulted in 23 hits, 4 walks, 11 ERs and 6 HRs. Lindstroms first 10 innings have resulted in 11 hits, 4 walks, 3 ERs and 0 HRs.

Nevertheless, 5 blown saves in 8 opportunities....the key/end result...was basically the same as 2011 and 2012 at the start of those two seasons.

Edited by caulfield12

Marcus Semien!!

If he loses his starting job to Gordon Beckham of all people there is something wrong with sports. If Ventura allows this to happen I lose a lot of respect for him. I flip flop a lot on this issue but Semien has been the heart and soul of this team. For this team to be .500 it's a miracle and Semien can't be demoted. It's just wrong.

s***, let Beckham play third.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:17 AM)
Nevertheless, 5 blown saves in 8 opportunities....the key/end result...was basically the same as 2011 and 2012 at the start of those two seasons.

(Just realized this) I had no idea blown saves get counted in the 7th an 8th innings, I thought it was strictly the 9th??? 1 of the blown saves was an injured Nate Jones in the 7th, and another was Bely in the 8th....Then when talking Lindstrom blown saves 2 of his 3 were "tough luck" BS for him. In 1 he had to clean up Cletos mess, then another the inning started with an Abreu error, if the rest of that inning plays out the same way it's a save.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:34 AM)
Marcus Semien!!

If he loses his starting job to Gordon Beckham of all people there is something wrong with sports. If Ventura allows this to happen I lose a lot of respect for him. I flip flop a lot on this issue but Semien has been the heart and soul of this team. For this team to be .500 it's a miracle and Semien can't be demoted. It's just wrong.

s***, let Beckham play third.

The heart and soul of this team is a guy who's hitting .234/.280/.394? He's had 2 good games where he's driven in 8 runs, in his other 19 he has 5. His last 10 games he's struck out 13 times and walked none.

To repeat what's been said quite a bit around these parts, pre all star break and pre injury last year Beckham hit .335/.357/.443.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
The heart and soul of this team is a guy who's hitting .234/.280/.394? He's had 2 good games where he's driven in 8 runs, in his other 19 he has 5. His last 10 games he's struck out 13 times and walked none.

To repeat what's been said quite a bit around these parts, pre all star break and pre injury last year Beckham hit .335/.357/.443.

Yes but Semien has been clutch. It would be a crime to let buzzkill Beckham take over for him at this stage. This is a team game and nobody can deny Semien has been one of our valuable pieces in terms of clutch. He's been as pleasant as our bullpen has been repugnant.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:59 AM)

Why are we cherry picking stats? Why don't we just throw out his first 2 games and see what his numbers look like?

And hurray #beckhamexcuses. The guy hasn't put up an ops over .700 since 2009, why the hell should I believe he's going to do so now?

Marcus is no where near a finished product but he's doing a damn fine job adjusting to the majors and there's really no reason for me to believe that he's already not a better player than Gordon.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:09 AM)
Why are we cherry picking stats? Why don't we just throw out his first 2 games and see what his numbers look like?

And hurray #beckhamexcuses. The guy hasn't put up an ops over .700 since 2009, why the hell should I believe he's going to do so now?

Marcus is no where near a finished product but he's doing a damn fine job adjusting to the majors and there's really no reason for me to believe that he's already not a better player than Gordon.

C'mon Rowand, you should know by now that's all I do is cherry pick.

It's a rebuilding year, Beckham can be on a short leash. If he fails for a few weeks then you call it a day and bring Marcus back, if he comes out and hits like he did before the injury(call it an excuse if you must) you might be able to snag a half way decent prospect.

I'm not saying it's an absolute must that they should start him, just from a rebuilding standpoint it makes some sense. Esp since, like you said, Marcus isn't a finished product. He's not showing that same plate discipline he showed in the minors and he's striking out in about a 3rd of his ABs.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
Downs and Belisario quietly did their jobs yesterday.

Belisario has strung together 3 straight scoreless outings over 4.2 IP, giving up only 2 hits and no walks during that time. He has knocked five full runs off of his ERA during that time. Really, half of the runs he gave up this year were in the one disaster in Denver (well 5 of 11). Take away that meltdown, and his season looks a lot different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Belisario has strung together 3 straight scoreless outings over 4.2 IP, giving up only 2 hits and no walks during that time. He has knocked five full runs off of his ERA during that time. Really, half of the runs he gave up this year were in the one disaster in Denver (well 5 of 11). Take away that meltdown, and his season looks a lot different.

I'm hoping the addition of a healthy Nate Jones will have a bit of a stabilizing effect on the pen.