Possible Suitors for Gordon Beckham

GGajewski18

We all need to remember that hindisght is 20/20. You have to evaluate these decisions based on the information we had when they were made. Like TUC can admit that Dunn has been good and still think it was the right idea to cut him. Like wite can admit Paulino blows and still think it was the right idea to sign him.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 28, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
We all need to remember that hindisght is 20/20. You have to evaluate these decisions based on the information we had when they were made. Like TUC can admit that Dunn has been good and still think it was the right idea to cut him. Like wite can admit Paulino blows and still think it was the right idea to sign him.

QFT

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
If Beckham can stay healthy, he is a guy you want on the White Sox. Not trade fodder.

His line since he got back doesnt look sustainable to me, especially moving forward but what do I know.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
His line since he got back doesnt look sustainable to me, especially moving forward but what do I know.

I just go back to last year. He lost all his pop with the wrist injury, yet still had decent slappy numbers until his quad got him. 2012 he wasn't great but he was 2nd in homers to Cano for AL 2nd basemen. He might pull up lame tonight. But to me, that is the question. I am confident, healthy, he is a legit hitter now. I think he's turned the corner with that stuff. He has hit a ton of hard outs this year.

Even when he started out something like 4-25, he looked confident at the plate. Something that has been lacking consistently for a while.

Edited by Dick Allen

Well, having an OPS of .781 isn't entirely out of the question, but it's not unreasonable to think that he hangs near .750.

The main reason the Sox are .500 right now is the production from 2B-SS-3B. Their primary players at those positions have OPS of .781 .841 and .866. There isn't a team in baseball that wouldn't take that kind of production from those three positions.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 28, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)

There was nothing wrong with the Paulino signing. Of course I wanted Hahn to acquire Noesi and start him instead but whatever. And of course I was right, he's at least been better and has more upside.

By the same token, there was nothing wrong with trying to get a deal on Ubaldo or Ervin. I wanted Ervin, again I was right (pattern emerging here?) but whatever. Things happen.

What is important is making the "type" of moves you need to make when it's right, like the Reed trade, and all the veteran RP signings, some of which have worked and others which have not. Hahn is the reverse KW right now because he's looking to get prospects out of proven players but he'll probably end up the reverse Kenny too in that he'll largely be giving up the better player, "losing" the deal, but that's just how the game works in general and it's pretty unrealistic to expect a high success rate with prospects. So Hahn has been doing what he has had to do for the most part, and the biggest moves he's made have been completely independent of trades, they've been the extensions to Sale & Q along with the Abreu signing and bring in God Steverson to bless this lowly bunch with his hitting wisdom.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
If Beckham can stay healthy, he is a guy you want on the White Sox. Not trade fodder.

You're going to be forced to pay him or let him walk very, very soon.

IMO the best outcome for the Sox would be Micah Johnson and his dynamic offensive game taking over 2B long-term, with Beckham providing high enough trade value to return a high quality RHSP prospect/project to fill out one of those "uncertain" spots and maybe create some depth. Semien is solid and I think a much stronger player mentally than Beckham ever has been or could be, but unfortunately not nearly the same level of talent. Maybe Semien stays as a true UT player, maybe he brings back something.

No matter what though I can't see the Sox paying Beckham, and this close to FA, I can't imagine his management recommending him take a "team friendly" deal unless they think Gordon is just overachieving right now & will come back to earth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Ok seriously, this thread is just stupid at this point. The trolling and stupid stuff back and forth stops now, or suspensions will happen. Period.

Back to Gordon Beckham here or find somewhere else to post.

Thank you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Ok seriously, this thread is just stupid at this point. The trolling and stupid stuff back and forth stops now, or suspensions will happen. Period.

Back to Gordon Beckham here or find somewhere else to post.

1) This thread is awesome

2) There is no trolling going on, these are deep disagreements which are still unresolved apparently.

3) You already suspended me for 2 whole months. I'm at the back of the line now, so please start at the front. Everyone else should be suspended before I am again, you can't just cut in line/skip turns like that, it's not fair.

4) Gordon Beckham sucks.

5) There is nowhere else to post. There is no Soxtalk but Soxtalk.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 28, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
1) This thread is awesome

2) There is no trolling going on, these are deep disagreements which are still unresolved apparently.

3) You already suspended me for 2 whole months. I'm at the back of the line now, so please start at the front. Everyone else should be suspended before I am again, you can't just cut in line/skip turns like that, it's not fair.

4) Gordon Beckham sucks.

5) There is nowhere else to post. There is no Soxtalk but Soxtalk.

He doesn't suck so far this season. We either sign him to a team friendly deal, or trade him before July 31st (if we are out of it).

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 28, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
He doesn't suck so far this season. We either sign him to a team friendly deal, or trade him before July 31st (if we are out of it).

Yeah I agree, hopefully we can get something good out of him.

TBH I'm not in love with either Beckham or Semien. Micah Johnson is really the guy I'm hoping for here.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 28, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Yeah I agree, hopefully we can get something good out of him.

TBH I'm not in love with either Beckham or Semien. Micah Johnson is really the guy I'm hoping for here.

I really do like Semien based on his performance in the minors but I think they really were over-aggressive with him this season and it's hurting. You could watch his strikeouts go up and his walks go down last year as he moved up levels and that has stuck this season. He put up a .420 OBP at AA last year while only hitting .290. Even with some translation downward from facing better pitching, that's still potentially a guy who we could be talking about maybe a .375 OBP from if he adapted that approach to the bigs, and that'd be just dynamite sitting in front of Abreu.

But right now his K-rate is about 2.5 times what it was at AA. That's a guy who is just seriously overmatched right now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
I think I had more fun at my 7th grade field trip in Springfield than I did at my 8th grade trip to DC.

We had so much fun on our seventh or eighth grade field trip to Springfield. I won a huge pot in a game of "in between" on the bus and the tour of the park there was awesome with everybody splitting up and having so much fun. It was fun back in the day when parents and teachers both didn't watch their kids' every move.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
We had so much fun on our seventh or eighth grade field trip to Springfield. I won a huge pot in a game of "in between" on the bus and the tour of the park there was awesome with everybody splitting up and having so much fun. It was fun back in the day when parents and teachers both didn't watch their kids' every move.

On our 7th grade trip to Springfield, our school was told never to return. Spoiled suburban brats.

When Gordon was young, Harold Reynolds picked him for a TV segment i watched on 'young potential HoF guys.' Now, that on its face is so silly and hilarious now..

...but if you think about just trade value and Gordon B. ........this year would be more than just a bounceback year. If he puts together rookie year numbers this year.....then you have a guy who was highly touted REGAINING some form. That, for the salary he makes..is enticing to teams.

That is more than just trading a guy who got hot for half a year. You might be able to trade Gordon for something not-at-all-shabby this deadline, if he keeps improving on what he's doing right now.

That would be big. And then it frees the money for other things, frees the spot for Semien/Micah.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
On our 7th grade trip to Springfield, our school was told never to return. Spoiled suburban brats.

I had a trip like to that to page the state legislature. We got kicked out of the state capital for protesting and kicked out of the page program for a year or two.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)

When I was that age I used to make bow and arrows out of unsharpened colored pencils and rubber bands. Now if you capture a large grasshopper and use thread to affix it to one of your very sharp pencil arrows, it makes a rather interesting weapon. This has a lot to do with baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
I really do like Semien based on his performance in the minors but I think they really were over-aggressive with him this season and it's hurting. You could watch his strikeouts go up and his walks go down last year as he moved up levels and that has stuck this season. He put up a .420 OBP at AA last year while only hitting .290. Even with some translation downward from facing better pitching, that's still potentially a guy who we could be talking about maybe a .375 OBP from if he adapted that approach to the bigs, and that'd be just dynamite sitting in front of Abreu.

But right now his K-rate is about 2.5 times what it was at AA. That's a guy who is just seriously overmatched right now.

Not getting consistent at-bats isn't helping either. He really needs to be playing everyday in AAA. I think some people are really sleeping on this kid, because he has the talent to be an incredibly valuable player. Like you said, him getting on base at a .375 clip would make Abrue that much more protective. On top of that, him taking a ton of pitches wears down opposing pitchers and gives the rest of the team more looks. He's exactly the type of hitter we need more of and it's ridiculous that some posters are writing him off as a utility player after a tough first two months in the majors after essentially skipping AAA.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 28, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
Not getting consistent at-bats isn't helping either. He really needs to be playing everyday in AAA. I think some people are really sleeping on this kid, because he has the talent to be an incredibly valuable player. Like you said, him getting on base at a .375 clip would make Abrue that much more protective. On top of that, him taking a ton of pitches wears down opposing pitchers and gives the rest of the team more looks. He's exactly the type of hitter we need more of and it's ridiculous that some posters are writing him off as a utility player after a tough first two months in the majors after essentially skipping AAA.

Because it's very rare that a top position player prospect ever is better off watching from the bench at the major league level than getting his confidence back playing everyday in AAA. So it's causing some to question whether the organization really does view him as an everyday player going forward.

Now, if Semien doesn't turn out like a thought of us thought he might...skipping AAA, being overmatched/overwhelmed and then sitting at the big league level will be seen (with hindsight) as the reason.

(Of course, some will argue that he's psychologically-weak and not capable of being a big league regular if he can't deal with a stretch like this.)

Finally, we already have a player to cover 3B-SS-2B in Leury Garcia, so there's just no reason not to send him down, and Micah's on the DL, so there isn't even an argument about rearranging the AAA infield positions remaining.

Edited by caulfield12