2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Not that I know of....maybe they can be granted access to past physicals, but to conduct their own, that's not allowed.

And if Aiken indeed has a major physical/pre-existing condition, then you probably will see that rule changed.

Yes the rule is that the Astros only have to offer 40% of the slot value if he failed the physical. I am sure there is probably some negotiating going on, but I don't see the Astros trying to lowball him too much and risk sabotaging their draft pool. They may get him down to $6M and use the excess to make a run at Mac Marshall.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
anyway.

Is Aiken 99.99 % like Rodon?

Most likely, yes he is. If he's hurt, the Astros may be less willing to give him a lot less money, and he may want to try and re-coup some of his value, or he can realize that he's still not going to get this much and take the $1-3 million. If the physical was fine, yes, he's going to sign.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
And what is the point of waiting so long?

For Rodon? To extract as much money as possible. We may say that $6 million is a lot, so why not just take that instead of $6.35 mill, but you are still talking about $350,000, which is 5-10 years worth of salary for most people. It's not chump change. If he can make $6.15 or $6.35 or $6.5 million simply by waiting until the deadline, then it's worth it for him.

For the Sox, obviously they'd like it over ASAP, but it's not up to them when Rodon signs, it's up to Rodon.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
What is the rush for either side? He's barely going to pitch this year anyways.

Well, now he won't for sure. He had an outside chance of making it to Chicago this year if you read between the lines of what Hahn and the company line was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Well, now he won't for sure. He had an outside chance of making it to Chicago this year if you read between the lines of what Hahn and the company line was.

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes down to the deadline day and then does AZL then AFL. He should have another 30 innings or so in the tank.

Damn Rock/Bucket AND anyone who uses "complicated" statistical analyses to make their points...if they can explain bwar and fwar and nuclear war and +WRC, they should be banned and start their own "value over replacement" :bang sites for geeks and pocket-protector wearing nerds.

:usa

USA! USA! USA!

Would MLB even allow the White Sox or Astros to steal thunder from the ASG Selections by announcing Aiken and Rodon signings? I'm sure they would prefer Monday press conferences.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
Damn Rock/Bucket AND anyone who uses "complicated" statistical analyses to make their points...if they can explain bwar and fwar and nuclear war and +WRC, they should be banned and start their own "value over replacement" :bang sites for geeks and pocket-protector wearing nerds.

:usa

USA! USA! USA!

Would MLB even allow the White Sox or Astros to steal thunder from the ASG Selections by announcing Aiken and Rodon signings? I'm sure they would prefer Monday press conferences.

I don't think that 2 s***ty teams signing a couple prospects no casual fan has ever heard of would steal thunder from anything. Aiken is hurt? And Rodon's agent is BorASS so that's why.

So I didn't get much last night and it took awhile to pry anything out but it appears the dangling of immediate playing time wasn't as effective as expected and they have been asking for over slot. Still confident this gets done. They were kind of shocked that the trigger wasn't pulled already.

That's about all.