2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
Isn't Hoiberg known to be a very good offensive coach?

Yes. He borrows exclusively from the NBA. Would imagine he will want to run and gun. He's also constantly among national leaders in efficiency out of timeouts.

Iowa State has been top 11 (6, 6, 11) in offensive efficiency the last three years and top 17 (17, 16) in tempo the last two.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
I don't think any of us know that. He had athletes at ISU and outrun other teams. Doesn't necessarily mean you are a good offensive coach. He's a good recruiter and he seems to be a good leader of men. Not sure any of us know how he will do in the NBA but he should be pretty good at relating. He will absolutely need some top notch assistants. The level of details in the pro game and just the pure talent is so much different, however, I presume he understands that.

He hates recruiting, which is one reason the NBA appeals to him.

Iowa State's AD said yesterday that Fred told him five years ago that it was his goal to coach in the NBA and that he (the AD) considers it a when, and not if, scenario.

Hoiberg had interest from Golden State last year (supposedly second choice behind Kerr) as well as the Cavs last year and the Celtics a few years back. It's not just the Bulls that like him.

I honestly don't know if he jumps if Thibs is fired. His heart condition is a very real concern and he hasn't been seen in public since the surgery.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
I don't even mind LeBron getting the calls...it just drives me crazy that even though he gets "the calls," he cries about e-v-e-r-y l-i-t-t-l-e f-u-c-k-i-n-g c-a-l-l he doesn't get.

Local radio host here in Vegas was just ranting about how LeBron ultimately will go down as the best player of all time. Half of his rant was him picking these random stat-lines from playoff games and mentioning that LeBron has done it while Michael has not. I was thinking exactly what you mentioned above in regards to the defense that used to be allowed, especially come playoff time. It's so incredibly different now I'm not even sure you can compare stat-lines between the two eras.

It goes both ways. Yes, the game was more physical and you could get away with things that you'd get fined and or suspended for today. On the other side, we are currently at the pinnacle of athleticism up and down the nba. Jordan wasn't going up against dudes like Butler, Kawhi and Paul George on a regular basis. Not that he couldn't torch them more times than not. But it wouldn't be as consistently effortless as when he was destroying the likes of Starks, Dumars and Hornacek. Also, team defensive schemes (not to mention advanced scouting/analytics) absolutely dwarf anything from the 80's and 90's.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
It goes both ways. Yes, the game was more physical and you could get away with things that you'd get fined and or suspended for today. On the other side, we are currently at the pinnacle of athleticism up and down the nba. Jordan wasn't going up against dudes like Butler, Kawhi and Paul George on a regular basis. Not that he couldn't torch them more times than not. But it wouldn't be as consistently effortless as when he was destroying the likes of Starks, Dumars and Hornacek. Also, team defensive schemes (not to mention advanced scouting/analytics) absolutely dwarf anything from the 80's and 90's.

When one of the best rim protectors in the NBA is some dude named Timofey and the best wing defender in the NBA is a 33 year old 6'4 guy I tend to think the whole "athletes are so much better today" thing is overblown a tad.

I also think Jordan would do just fine getting the same ISO post-ups Lebron was last night.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)

You can have your defensive schemes all you want...the ability to clothesline the ball-handler if he attempted to get too deep in the lane is more effective than any of Thibs' schemes :)

Two items from the radio today:

- bernstein implied there are some in the front office that are pissed McDermott wasn't given more pt this year

- Wilbon said that NBA players have told them the Bulls offense is the easiest to scout in the league, and that they know the plays almost all the time

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 13, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
When one of the best rim protectors in the NBA is some dude named Timofey and the best wing defender in the NBA is a 33 year old 6'4 guy I tend to think the whole "athletes are so much better today" thing is overblown a tad.

I also think Jordan would do just fine getting the same ISO post-ups Lebron was last night.

It's not overblown at all. It's a hard fact. Athleticism, lateral quickess and length is where the nba is and where it will continue to go.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
It's not overblown at all. It's a hard fact. Athleticism, lateral quickess and length is where the nba is and where it will continue to go.

Fair enough, but no one can hit a midrange jumper, despite all that lateral quickness.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
Fair enough, but no one can hit a midrange jumper, despite all that lateral quickness.

Chris Paul says hello. Advanced stats have proven that the most efficient scoring areas on the floor are at the rim and the 3 pointer (particularly corner threes). Today's game is for the most part predicated on keeping the floor spread. Can't do that if you're shooting 18 foot 2 pointers.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)

I wasn't disputing that the NBA as a whole is more athletic. The importance and overall difference of the athleticism is what is overblown. The Spurs won the championship with one good athlete on their team last year. How many players on Golden State are amazing athletes?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
Chris Paul says hello. Advanced stats have proven that the most efficient scoring areas on the floor are at the rim and the 3 pointer (particularly corner threes). Today's game is for the most part predicated on keeping the floor spread. Can't do that if you're shooting 18 foot 2 pointers.

Ok.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 13, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
I wasn't disputing that the NBA as a whole is more athletic. The importance and overall difference of the athleticism is what is overblown. The Spurs won the championship with one good athlete on their team last year. How many players on Golden State are amazing athletes?

I wasn't talking about championships. No, you don't need 8 elite athletes to win a title. I was referring to individual scoring prowess.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
I wasn't talking about championships. No, you don't need 8 elite athletes to win a title. I was referring to individual scoring prowess.

Carmelo tends to do just fine. Jordan was also clearly more athletic than James Harden is. I don't think there's anyway that Jordan scores less now than he did in his time. You can argue that it would be equal with the defensive schemes of today offsetting the fact that things got easier for perimeter players post 2004, but I don't see anyway that it's worse.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 13, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
Carmelo tends to do just fine. Jordan was also clearly more athletic than James Harden is. I don't think there's anyway that Jordan scores less now than he did in his time. You can argue that it would be equal with the defensive schemes of today offsetting the fact that things got easier for perimeter players post 2004, but I don't see anyway that it's worse.

37 ppg or 35 ppg on 54% shooting would never happen today. Pace alone wouldn't allow it. Volume scoring for individual players has been on the decline for years now. Strongside floods (thanks to thibs) along with better rotations, help and recovery, etc. don't allow for one guy to average those type of numbers. Kevin Durant is just as good a ball-handler, a better shooter and damn near 7 feet and he couldn't put up those kinda numbers.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)
37 ppg or 35 ppg on 54% shooting would never happen today. Pace alone wouldn't allow it. Volume scoring for individual players has been on the decline for years now. Strongside floods (thanks to thibs) along with better rotations, help and recovery, etc. don't allow for one guy to average those type of numbers. Kevin Durant is just as good a ball-handler, a better shooter and damn near 7 feet and he couldn't put up those kinda numbers.

You're cherry picking two seasons though where Mike was basically doing everything. Westbrook was averaging over 30 PPG after Durant went down and Jordan was a better scorer than Westbrook, believe it or not. Early and late 90s would still have Jordan at 30+ PPG regardless of pace.

To make things simpler so we're not arguing past each other, I believe his per 100 stats would be virtually the same, if not better than they were in the first and second three peat years (where he was around 42 points per 100 usually).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 13, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)
The last 6 or so minutes of that Wash-Hawks game was just awesome. And Steph already in bonkers mode.

Reporter said that after Paul Pierce hit that 3, he turned to the Hawks bench and yelled "Series!" Be more unlikable Paul.

I have softball tonight so will miss the first half. Probably for the better if they lose. Don't want to see the Cavs puffing their chest on our floor.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
So you're saying MJ would have more trouble scoring in today's NBA even though there is more spacing and driving lanes because Paul George would make it harder on him? LOL

MJ got to the rim despite facing double or triple teams, legit bigs camping in the lane, defenders were basically allowed to stiff arm and come playoff time, driving to the hole meant getting put on your ass. MJ would be better in this era, easily. It seems to me that people tend to forget just how good MJ was, he literally had no weakness (people point to his 3pt %, back then the 3pt shot wasn't the weapon that it is today, it's still the lowest percentage shot in basketball but a lot more threes are being made because teams are chucking them at unprecedented rates and most teams have a couple of guys that basically that's all they do), despite that, MJ had huge memorable games and shots from behind the three point line (Finals vs Portland, GM 4 vs NY in 93 IIRC). Pretty sure he'd have a pretty good 3pt shot if he played today and he actually worked at it. No one is stopping him one on one...

Back to the present, I'm fine with Thibs being shown the door when we lose to the Cavs, the Bulls offense has been the problem, this Cavs team with LeBron playing less than stellar (dat TO rate and FG%, yikes) and the injuries should've been beatable. Those plays in the final moments of GM 5 and coming out of a TO produced a Butler off balanced 3 and Noah with the ball twice, GMAFB.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1