Cardinals sign AJ Pierzynski

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
I hope when you hate on AJP you are hating on a player who gave you a WS title. Without him, the White Sox do not win it all for the only time in your lifetime. Unless baseball changes its economic system dramatically, the Sox won't be winning any more in your lifetime. Maybe one if everything falls perfectly into place one magical year to come.

I'm not going to blindly love some guy because he won the white sox a WS. I'm 32 years old, I dont need to worship athletes like some 8 year old fanboy.

plus I'm a Rays fan now so it wont bother me if the WS dont win again in my lifetime. If they do then that's great because there are some cool people here I'd be happy for their excitement.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)
I'm not going to blindly love some guy because he won the white sox a WS. I'm 32 years old, I dont need to worship athletes like some 8 year old fanboy.

plus I'm a Rays fan now so it wont bother me if the WS dont win again in my lifetime. If they do then that's great because there are some cool people here I'd be happy for their excitement.

Have you found any good Rays' fan sites?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
The White Sox are the only team that stories like this didn't leak out from.

I find that pretty interesting.

Was it AJ or Ozzie leaving that guys like Konerko kind of gave the "Change in the clubhouse is good, wink, wink"?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
It was Ozzie.

Yeah, that's right. For some reason though, I thought there were some rumblings from people that AJ's ship had run it's course in the clubhouse and that was part of the reason they happily switched to the one and only T-Flo.

Of course, like ss2k5 said, it was nowhere near the negativity after he left Minnesota, San Francisco, or Boston

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
Yeah, that's right. For some reason though, I thought there were some rumblings from people that AJ's ship had run it's course in the clubhouse and that was part of the reason they happily switched to the one and only T-Flo.

Of course, like ss2k5 said, it was nowhere near the negativity after he left Minnesota, San Francisco, or Boston

What was the negativity in Minnesota? I thought he was traded because Mauer was ready.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
What was the negativity in Minnesota? I thought he was traded because Mauer was ready.

I don't think there was negativity as he was traded but he already wasn't well perceived by the league even then. Twins fans felt that, because he signed with Chicago and helped bring home a World Series, that he'd betrayed them in some way and they've held contempt for him since that day.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
I don't think there was negativity as he was traded but he already wasn't well perceived by the league even then. Twins fans felt that, because he signed with Chicago and helped bring home a World Series, that he'd betrayed them in some way and they've held contempt for him since that day.

If they feel betrayed by someone the team they root for traded away, that's really strange. AJ loves to play the heel. Someone described him as sandpaper in the clubhouse. Sometimes you need that. When you win, just like everything else, it is perfect. If you don't win, it's a huge part of the problem. I just think if AJ was the problem he was perceived to be when the Giants non tendered him, and the problem he supposedly was in Boston, he wouldn't have lasted 8 years and 3 or 4 contracts in Chicago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
If they feel betrayed by someone the team they root for traded away, that's really strange. AJ loves to play the heel. Someone described him as sandpaper in the clubhouse. Sometimes you need that. When you win, just like everything else, it is perfect. If you don't win, it's a huge part of the problem. I just think if AJ was the problem he was perceived to be when the Giants non tendered him, and the problem he supposedly was in Boston, he wouldn't have lasted 8 years and 3 or 4 contracts in Chicago.

No, I agree completely with you. So much of it depends on the mentality of the clubhouse as well, where he was accepted with open arms in Chicago (and presumably Texas too, even if they didn't bring him back), but not Boston or San Francisco.

Twins fans would always talk about how they hated Pierzynski and I always asked why. The answer was always "because he's an an A-hole and he signed with Chicago." I'd mention the Nathan, Liriano, and Bonser thing and that they should be grateful, and that would be irrelevant.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)

I was more going towards actual anecdotes about what happened in the clubhouse. I don't remember seeing a single specific story. Glittering generalities, sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
I was more going towards actual anecdotes about what happened in the clubhouse. I don't remember seeing a single specific story. Glittering generalities, sure.

There was the one about "someone" coming in and putting all the games on college football after a bad loss and Ozzie getting pissed off because they didn't seem to care about the loss that I think was tied to AJ.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
There was the one about "someone" coming in and putting all the games on college football after a bad loss and Ozzie getting pissed off because they didn't seem to care about the loss that I think was tied to AJ.

That one happened while he was still here. No one sat on it until he was gone.

It could also be the White Sox learned from the past. It was ugly when McDowell left. It was ugly when Maggs left. It was ugly when the Big Hurt left, they even took some backhanded shots at Carlos Lee when they traded him. .... For many years, it seemed if the Sox traded a player or they left one way or another, they had something nasty to say. When they got rid of Raines and One Dog, Schueler apparently thought it was necessary to tell everybody they couldn't throw, yet they could never throw and it seemed fine having them both out there for 4 or 5 seasons. It seems to have gotten much better the last several years after years of the knowing it's coming ugliness. Boston now has a reputation of slamming guys when they are out the door.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
It could also be the White Sox learned from the past. It was ugly when McDowell left. It was ugly when Maggs left. It was ugly when the Big Hurt left, they even took some backhanded shots at Carlos Lee when they traded him. .... For many years, it seemed if the Sox traded a player or they left one way or another, they had something nasty to say. When they got rid of Raines and One Dog, Schueler apparently thought it was necessary to tell everybody they couldn't throw, yet they could never throw and it seemed fine having them both out there for 4 or 5 seasons. It seems to have gotten much better the last several years after years of the knowing it's coming ugliness. Boston now has a reputation of slamming guys when they are out the door.

Frank Thomas' departure was a big s*** show, too. Partly his fault, but telling a guy who was the lone reason to go to a Sox game for a long stretch of bad seasons was poor form on the Sox part. Even if the player is a chirpy type, take the high road.

One of the benefits/side-effects of Rick Hahn being GM is that he brings a high level of professionalism to the position.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Have you found any good Rays' fan sites?

no but havent looked because the Miami Hurricanes, big soccer and this board is all I really need when it comes to forums. I'll check out a Rays and Bucs blog for that info. I really just keep to the Sports Pub sub-forum here because this site has a lot of smart and good posters. For a site that is geared to the Sox, it does have a good make up of fans of other sports which creates good conversation.