2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
That is not correct fully. Sox draft allotment was 9,509,700. The 5% cap was at $9,985,184.99 One penny more, and they lost a draft pick. The Sox spent 9,984,600. They were $584.99 under losing a draft pick. Another $40k costs them a pick.

Would getting $40k less have precluded Rodon from signing? I doubt it. I'm happy with the draft either way, though.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hearing the name Carson Fullmer a lot recently in the Baseball America and Fangraphs podcasts. Sounds like he has the most electric stuff of the draft so far. The problem seems to be that he is shorter, 5'11", and sometimes has command issues. Some people think this may lead to him being an elite closer instead of #2 starter. Sounds like he has a plus-FB, plus-curveball-, developing change-up.

And a fun piece of trivia, he is from Lakeland, FL, just like Sale. Fullmer is expected to be a top 15 or top 10 pick.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
I've been hearing the name Carson Fullmer a lot recently in the Baseball America and Fangraphs podcasts. Sounds like he has the most electric stuff of the draft so far. The problem seems to be that he is shorter, 5'11", and sometimes has command issues. Some people think this may lead to him being an elite closer instead of #2 starter. Sounds like he has a plus-FB, plus-curveball-, developing change-up.

And a fun piece of trivia, he is from Lakeland, FL, just like Sale. Fullmer is expected to be a top 15 or top 10 pick.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 03:15 AM)
s*** is he nasty! That's a kid that could fast track to the majors as a reliever/closer.

I agree, here is a question, so the sox draft him.

b/c of his height, he reminds me of billy wagner.

Frankie Piliere's top 200 Cape Cod League prospects with scouting reports (though only top 10 is free) plus best tools.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=10644

Top 10 is:

1. Walker Buehler, rhp, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Vanderbilt/JR in 2015)

2. Cody Ponce, rhp, Brewster Whitecaps (Cal Poly Pomona/JR in 2015)

3. Phil Bickford, rhp, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Southern Nevada/SO in 2015)

4. Kyle Cody, rhp, Wareham Gatemen (Kentucky/JR in 2015)

5. Ian Happ, of, Harwich Mariners (Cincinnati/JR in 2015)

6. Richie Martin, ss, Bourne Braves (Florida/JR in 2015)

7. Alex Young, lhp, Falmouth Commodores (TCU/JR in 2015)

8. Marcus Brakeman, rhp, Hyannis Harbor Hawks (Stanford/JR in 2015)

9. Christin Stewart, of, Orleans Firebirds (Tennessee/JR in 2015)

10. Chris Shaw, of, Chatham Anglers (Boston College/JR in 2015)

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
Mike Rosenbaum , MLB Prospects Lead Writer Sep 24, 2014

top 100 prospects.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2209149...rankings/page/8

20. Carlos Rodon, LHP, Chicago White Sox

38. Tim Anderson, SS, Chicago White Sox

76. Micah Johnson, 2B, Chicago White Sox

Maybe I'm just late to the party but I wasn't expecting Anderson to be that high on any list. Obviously means nothing but fun to see.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:27 AM)
I agree, here is a question, so the sox draft him.

b/c of his height, he reminds me of billy wagner.

Oh yeah and a number of others that have been posted already. It would seem Fullmer is destined to be a closer so I think his height is even less of an issue.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
here is another mock draft, done on sept 30, 2014.

this site, with fangraph I like the most.

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2015-ml...-mock-1-0/44039

Just watched some video from Nathan Kirby's no hitter. Kid has a nice curve ball and change up. The change seemed to dive as it approached the plate. Also looked to have pretty good control of his pitches.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
Oh yeah and a number of others that have been posted already. It would seem Fullmer is destined to be a closer so I think his height is even less of an issue.

I screwed up on the way I phrase that answer. my bad.

but here is what I wanted to ask. should the sox draft him, b/c he as good stuff

and is on a fast track to the majors?

top 100 prospects.

So since I never really trust or respect B/R as a baseball source, I wanted to find out who Mike Rosenbaum was, like to see if maybe he came over from a reputable place at least.

Well upon clicking his bio, I found this nugget, which may explain these surprisingly optimistic rankings of Anderson and Micah....

"Born and raised in Chicago, Mike is a White Sox fan who now resides in Tarrytown, New York."

top 100 prospects.

I just now got to actually looking at these and I think I'd disagree a little. Given his ceiling and proximity to the majors, I think Rodon is arguably a top 10 prospect, but he'd atleast be in the top 15 for me. Anderson seems high at 38 to me, but somewhere between 45-55 seems more realistic. I also think Micah should be more in the 85-100 range, perhaps with Montas in that same area.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Maybe I'm just late to the party but I wasn't expecting Anderson to be that high on any list. Obviously means nothing but fun to see.

There is genuine, legitimate hype around the kid right now. Needs to work on his hands defensively, but the bat is very legit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
I just now got to actually looking at these and I think I'd disagree a little. Given his ceiling and proximity to the majors, I think Rodon is arguably a top 10 prospect, but he'd atleast be in the top 15 for me. Anderson seems high at 38 to me, but somewhere between 45-55 seems more realistic. I also think Micah should be more in the 85-100 range, perhaps with Montas in that same area.

There is genuine, legitimate hype around the kid right now. Needs to work on his hands defensively, but the bat is very legit.

On another forum, I made some prospect ranking predictions that I got absolutely crucified for around midseason. I said by season's end, Rodon would be ranked around #20, Anderson would be in the 50-60 range, Micah would be around 80-90, Montas might sneak in the back end of a couple lists, and maybe even Hawkins if he continues his strong season. I think Hawkins may be the only one I get wrong, although I DID state a caveat in which he did not fulfill, so I'll give myself credit for the whole thing if the BA, BP, ESPN, and Fangraphs lists confirm some of my guesses.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
On another forum, I made some prospect ranking predictions that I got absolutely crucified for around midseason. I said by season's end, Rodon would be ranked around #20, Anderson would be in the 50-60 range, Micah would be around 80-90, Montas might sneak in the back end of a couple lists, and maybe even Hawkins if he continues his strong season. I think Hawkins may be the only one I get wrong, although I DID state a caveat in which he did not fulfill, so I'll give myself credit for the whole thing if the BA, BP, ESPN, and Fangraphs lists confirm some of my guesses.

Yeah I see Hawkins' name mentioned a bunch. He has a pedigree as a top pick, but his numbers look nothing like that of a top 150 prospect, let alone 100. I'm one of Hawkiins' biggest supporters too, but anyone suggesting he be in the top 100 is a little too optimistic.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I screwed up on the way I phrase that answer. my bad.

but here is what I wanted to ask. should the sox draft him, b/c he as good stuff

and is on a fast track to the majors?

Hard to say without knowing what players are picked ahead of the #8 pick. Generally, relievers aren't picked til late 1st round - second round, if I remember correctly but I could be wrong.

IMO, I would not draft a reliever/closer with the #8 pick. I would go with Nathan Kirby unless a better option was available than him.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
So since I never really trust or respect B/R as a baseball source, I wanted to find out who Mike Rosenbaum was, like to see if maybe he came over from a reputable place at least.

Well upon clicking his bio, I found this nugget, which may explain these surprisingly optimistic rankings of Anderson and Micah....

"Born and raised in Chicago, Mike is a White Sox fan who now resides in Tarrytown, New York."

The guy is a pretty good writer and has good write ups on prospects, he does his prospect list pre season, mid season and after the season, and writes ton of articles during the season. I think he was a sox farmhand as well.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:14 AM)
I would love it if the Sox drafted both Kyle Tucker and Ryan Johnson, who I think goes in round 2 at the moment.

my problem, not with the players you mention, but I really need to hear more from the sox

brass. I don't know if they will go positional player or pitching.

my list still haven't change. hitting Rodgers ss, Ian Happ and DJ Stewart. Pitching I like Kirby I

also like a couple of HS'ers and 2 college arms.

with the new CBA, comp rounds can be traded, right?