Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Money owed to Danks, but lets be honest, thats not a big deal to them, they are just posturing to get the Sox to offer to pay some of it or send a lesser player. There isnt much else out there for NY to get.

Any of the names mentioned so far anything to get in our panties rustled?

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
If both sides are agreed upon the return player(s), I have to believe that the trade ends up getting done. I don't mind the Sox holding out until tomorrow morning for another million bucks or so, but don't think they would walk away from the deal because of it.

It'd be completely idiotic to walk away from a deal over a few million dollars or whatever player is coming back. Just get yourselves out from under this giant contract of a not-so-good pitcher. Hopefully Rick doesn't bluff too long here.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Good, get it done. Even if they have to send out a good chunk of cash as long as they can get a decent B level pitching prospect I'd take it. Preferably a guy that would be ready by '16 in theory.

If the Marlins want to send up this year's competitive Balance pick and a B prospect I imagine they'd get a nice amount of salary relief in return. Not sure why they'd do that but hey it's the Marlins.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
It'd be completely idiotic to walk away from a deal over a few million dollars or whatever player is coming back. Just get yourselves out from under this giant contract of a not-so-good pitcher. Hopefully Rick doesn't bluff too long here.

Two very similar pitchers just pulled in two of the Giants top 10 prospects and the #5 prospect in a loaded Cardinals system, no reason not to hold out to see if you can get a similar deal.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
I'd hope Alexei is being dangled in the Yankees Danks talks. He would slot just fine in their gaping 2B hole.

I'd prefer to hold onto Alexei until the offseason or next trade deadline. There's no rush to trade him especially with the team possibly closer to contention than thought coming into the year. There is some downside risk there for sure but I think it's better to hold onto him because 2-4 WAR shortstops are pretty hard to find.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
I'd prefer to hold onto Alexei until the offseason or next trade deadline. There's no rush to trade him especially with the team possibly closer to contention than thought coming into the year. There is some downside risk there for sure but I think it's better to hold onto him because 2-4 WAR shortstops are pretty hard to find.

I think he is traded in the winter where there is more of a market, at this point the need for SS's among contenders is pretty low.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
Any chance the Yankees would also be interested in a lefty 4th OF?

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 33m

Source says #Mariners are "out" on Marlon Byrd. Still some legs to rumblings linking Byrd & #Yankees but Yankees wary of 2016 vesting option

Byrd's not a lefty, but looks like they might be interested in Tank(Just based on the fact they're looking at Byrd).....M's as well, but that's not really new.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
Two very similar pitchers just pulled in two of the Giants top 10 prospects and the #5 prospect in a loaded Cardinals system, no reason not to hold out to see if you can get a similar deal.

How easily you take contracts out of play. No, you don't hold out, you get rid of bad paper at this point.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
If the Marlins want to send up this year's competitive Balance pick and a B prospect I imagine they'd get a nice amount of salary relief in return. Not sure why they'd do that but hey it's the Marlins.

How about Danks and $$ for Competitive Balance Pick and Jacob Turner? I'd be ecstatic.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
How easily you take contracts out of play. No, you don't hold out, you get rid of bad paper at this point.

$12-14 AAV is pretty standard fair for a #4 these days. It shouldn't be, but there are a lot of teams paying crummy #4 pitchers quite a bit.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
$12-14 AAV is pretty standard fair for a #4 these days. It shouldn't be, but there are a lot of teams paying crummy #4 pitchers quite a bit.

But what people don't understand is that in a trade, you're asking a team to give you talent for the surplus value of the contract. John Danks has no surplus value at all at $14m per year. Anyone could just sign a market rate asset in the offseason for that. So if you're considering paying Danks the next couple years at that rate, you'd at best take those years for free, because that's the worst case scenario for what it would cost to acquire someone like him in free agency. You don't give up significant talent just for the right to pay a guy every penny he's worth, unless he's some one-of-a-kind talent that isn't available on the open market.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
I'd hope Alexei is being dangled in the Yankees Danks talks. He would slot just fine in their gaping 2B hole.

Do you enjoy watching the White Sox lose?

Trading Alexei makes sense in one scenario - we get a ML ready SS, plus a major league ready SP with mid-rotation upside and a B level prospect or two. You only trade Alexei if you cannot say no. Without Alexei, next year looks much more grim - with him, and a few off-season acquisitions, this team is a contender. Isn't that what we're all here for?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Do you enjoy watching the White Sox lose?

Trading Alexei makes sense in one scenario - we get a ML ready SS, plus a major league ready SP with mid-rotation upside and a B level prospect or two. You only trade Alexei if you cannot say no. Without Alexei, next year looks much more grim - with him, and a few off-season acquisitions, this team is a contender. Isn't that what we're all here for?

I don't see the White Sox contending next year, so perfectly reasonable to sell high on an aging asset who has likely peaked.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)

Danks wasn't signed to be a number 4 starter.

But, I was comparing him to the contracts previously mentioned, that don't have bad money attached to them.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
But what people don't understand is that in a trade, you're asking a team to give you talent for the surplus value of the contract. John Danks has no surplus value at all at $14m per year. Anyone could just sign a market rate asset in the offseason for that. So if you're considering paying Danks the next couple years at that rate, you'd at best take those years for free, because that's the worst case scenario for what it would cost to acquire someone like him in free agency. You don't give up significant talent just for the right to pay a guy every penny he's worth, unless he's some one-of-a-kind talent that isn't available on the open market.

There ya go.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)

Actually, Danks is cost controlled for long term the other two are two month rentals, so that swings more value to Danks. Danks contract is not really that far out of line with his production.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

Agreed, but you're also trying to exploit their desire to win now. There was risk taken when that contract was signed, but you did it because you want to avoid being vulnerable in the trade market or to future market conditions.

If they come a knockin', you want to try and exploit their immediate need under the circumstances.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)

No you are not. You are asking for the value of the player. Any surplus value in the contract drives up the expected value of the player. There are no market rate assets available at the trade deadline, that is why the Sox have leverage now to deal Danks. You do give up value to get a guy that is paid what he is worth, that is the point of making a trade, to plug a piece of value into your team to try and win baseball games. There is also value in having cost certainty and a certain number of holes filled going into free agency. Surplus value is a nice thing to have in a trade, but that is not what teams are trading for, they are trading for baseball players to help them make the playoffs.