Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Well no...the Sun Times article says there is talk and it could be at the serious stage.

It sounded like, at least from the article, that the SunTimes had actually tried to substantiate the rumors with their own "league sources" - which could very well be one of the posters that breaks stuff on Soxtalk....

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
It's what the offseason is all about.

Ricky has no reputation of having things leak so far. Only one that was predictable by name beforehand that I can think of is Abreu. Other people made sense but we didn't see "White Sox talking to Boston/Detroit" even before the Peavy deal happened, we just knew it made sense. We didn't see "White Sox talking to Duke/LaRoche", we just saw it happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Ricky has no reputation of having things leak so far. Only one that was predictable by name beforehand that I can think of is Abreu. Other people made sense but we didn't see "White Sox talking to Boston/Detroit" even before the Peavy deal happened, we just knew it made sense. We didn't see "White Sox talking to Duke/LaRoche", we just saw it happen.

But there are two sides to all of these deals. Seems like the A's side is looser lately.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm still bitter for the fact if your throwing around Anderson's name...why weren't you in on Donaldson earlier? Samardj doesn't put the Sox in the true contender category like adding Donaldson would have. Oh well...

Anderson is speculation based on a cryptic tweet someone made.

But also, we had no Lawrie to send back. Anderson = Barreto probably.

This is definitely a scary and exciting rumor. I don't want to give up Anderson for a rental but I would start a package with any of our other top prospects(Rodon not included). We'd get a top line starter and because he'd only be making 9.5 mill or so we'd still have some good money to spend.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
I don't know if anyone can guess what Beane is looking for anymore. His track record went from entirely predictable to almost groundless. If I had to guess, I would say Alexei Ramirez is not in this deal. I know how much the Sox value him and he's not the type of guy Beane goes after. He's an older player and despite being a great value, his AAV isn't spare change. But again, Beane can turn around and make a Jim Johnson type trade.

Because Beane exploits undervalued assets in the marketplace, subject to his budget. People keep trying to peg him with a particular type of asset, when the only type he looks for is one where the actual value and the market value are disparate.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
You're certainly right. Even recently Pandoval and Ramirez to Boston was broken by teenagers. That being said, it's not like the Sox to have their stuff leaked. It's happened, but I wouldn't expect it.

Actually, I believe that Hahn isn't a guy that likes to fly under the radar like Ken Williams does. Even KW seems to have bought into the new philosophy regarding organizational leaks by talking about how excited he is about some of these potential big deals that are out there. That's never something we would have heard a few years ago. I think the days of flying under the radar are gone, and for good reason. You can use the media in your favor by leaking certain things. Maybe Rick put it out there that there were talks with the Dodgers about an Alexei deal in an effort to also get the Mets to make a real offer. Another possibility is leaking interest in someone like Melky Cabrera in an effort to help coerce a team into trading the Sox an outfielder. I'm just guessing, but you never know. Plus, it has to be very difficult to operate under the radar. As few leaks as humanly possible, in a world where we all want to tell our best friends this amazing news that we heard.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
Actually, I believe that Hahn isn't a guy that likes to fly under the radar like Ken Williams does. Even KW seems to have bought into the new philosophy regarding organizational leaks by talking about how excited he is about some of these potential big deals that are out there. That's never something we would have heard a few years ago. I think the days of flying under the radar are gone, and for good reason. You can use the media in your favor by leaking certain things. Maybe Rick put it out there that there were talks with the Dodgers about an Alexei deal in an effort to also get the Mets to make a real offer. Another possibility is leaking interest in someone like Melky Cabrera in an effort to help coerce a team into trading the Sox an outfielder. I'm just guessing, but you never know. Plus, it has to be very difficult to operate under the radar. As few leaks as humanly possible, in a world where we all want to tell our best friends this amazing news that we heard.

I think it's fair to say they use the media all the time to execute certain strategies.

Edited by iamshack