Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
There's always something odd when a guy was never very good, then got really good, then got busted for roids, then kept being good.

Melky has always had some ability. I think his attitude has been questioned in the past. I do agree, I would think he's still juicing. Maybe if he gets a multi year deal, he gives it up for a couple years, and the team who signs him is left holding the bag.

I still think juicing is rampant, and really think MLB has made an effort to keep scoring down to at least make it look like players aren't making a mockery of their testing, which is supposed to be the best of its kind. The problem is, the testing is always a step behind.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
No, they're not equal at all, and while I didn't check that link, I've read enough on Quintana's to know that there were other circumstances behind it.

Still, I can't stand when people make blanket statements about people who use PEDs. Cabrera was as clean as we can possibly know last year and he had a good season. If he gets busted, then the Sox don't have to pay him for 100 games which will recoup something like 20% of the amount they have to pay him (assuming he gets a 3 year deal). Yeah, if he was using and he gets busted, then it's a big deal and it's a big problem, and the Sox are on the hook for 2 years, but these are risks you have to take sometimes. The Sox could just as easily sign Sandoval and find him using PEDs a year and a half into his contract, which is only a 50 game suspension, and then he could fall completely off the cliff. Hypotheticals and what ifs are a fun game to play.

who says he hasnt found a new biogenesis?

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:12 PM)
who says he hasnt found a new biogenesis?

i was thinking about that.

when there is a need to find a way around drug test. someone will

find a way. too much $$$$ not too.

its like here in the south. for a way to get around the piss test or blood

test, someone found a way around that. the local police busted a lot of places

and crap load of people last month. mega money found.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Melky has always had some ability. I think his attitude has been questioned in the past. I do agree, I would think he's still juicing. Maybe if he gets a multi year deal, he gives it up for a couple years, and the team who signs him is left holding the bag.

I still think juicing is rampant, and really think MLB has made an effort to keep scoring down to at least make it look like players aren't making a mockery of their testing, which is supposed to be the best of its kind. The problem is, the testing is always a step behind.

The only way to truly rid the sport of it is to do baseline blood testing when they begin professional ball. This way they will know when they are taking something. They will not know what but they will know the chemistry has changed.

Currently, they can test for all known PEDs with the urine and blood tests. However, there are always new PEDs being produced. It's mostly linked to track and field athletes as it's a bigger market but they will trickle down to NFL and MLB.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
The only way to truly rid the sport of it is to do baseline blood testing when they begin professional ball. This way they will know when they are taking something. They will not know what but they will know the chemistry has changed.

Currently, they can test for all known PEDs with the urine and blood tests. However, there are always new PEDs being produced. It's mostly linked to track and field athletes as it's a bigger market but they will trickle down to NFL and MLB.

It is still hard for me to understand how power is vanishing in baseball without anyone talking about the ball. They were talking about the ball when it was considered the "steroid era", I remember Hawk calling it a Titleist. But even without steroids, say there were none, players are bigger and a lot stronger these days. Pitchers throw harder than ever on average, yet the power numbers are falling off a cliff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
It is still hard for me to understand how power is vanishing in baseball without anyone talking about the ball. They were talking about the ball when it was considered the "steroid era", I remember Hawk calling it a Titleist. But even without steroids, say there were none, players are bigger and a lot stronger these days. Pitchers throw harder than ever on average, yet the power numbers are falling off a cliff.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-strike-zo...out-of-control/

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)

There are more variables than size and strength in the power equation. Speed of the bat is more important than either of the other two in the physics of a swing. With the increase pitch velocity, you need to swing even faster to make up the difference.

Personally, I think the increased pitch velocity is mostly from the pitchers trying to throw harder all the time. With the decreased expectation of innings pitched and analytics, pitchers throw harder more often. There is absolutely no correlation between muscle strength and pitch velocity. The PEDs allowed the pitchers to maintain thier pitching within games but moreso allowed relievers to recover faster and pitch more often.

Of course changes in the ball and size of the ball parks made a difference as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
There are more variables than size and strength in the power equation. Speed of the bat is more important than either of the other two in the physics of a swing. With the increase pitch velocity, you need to swing even faster to make up the difference.

Personally, I think the increased pitch velocity is mostly from the pitchers trying to throw harder all the time. With the decreased expectation of innings pitched and analytics, pitchers throw harder more often. There is absolutely no correlation between muscle strength and pitch velocity. The PEDs allowed the pitchers to maintain thier pitching within games but moreso allowed relievers to recover faster and pitch more often.

Of course changes in the ball and size of the ball parks made a difference as well.

I think the Internet and greater interest in international scouting has made it easier to find pitchers who throw hard as well. Mix that with modern health practices that make pitchers throw only when well-rested, and that's probably a good reason for the velocity increases.

First post here:

With the recent signing of LaRoche, I think we as fans can all but rule out a Pablo Sandoval signing. Main reason why I say this is because LF, RHSP and bullpen help are all much larger needs.

With that being said, I feel that Melky would be a great signing (even with the 2nd round compensation).

Imagine the top part of the lineup being:

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

LaRoche

Garcia.

That's a pretty potent top part to the lineup.

Aoki is another LF FA I would seriously consider.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
First post here:

With the recent signing of LaRoche, I think we as fans can all but rule out a Pablo Sandoval signing. Main reason why I say this is because LF, RHSP and bullpen help are all much larger needs.

With that being said, I feel that Melky would be a great signing (even with the 2nd round compensation).

Imagine the top part of the lineup being:

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

LaRoche

Garcia.

That's a pretty potent top part to the lineup.

Aoki is another LF FA I would seriously consider.

Alexei and Conor are pretty damn good 6-7 hitters too.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
Alexei and Conor are pretty damn good 6-7 hitters too.

Completely agree.

Ultimately, it would be nice to see a catching upgrade as well but I'm not overly impressed with any of the players they have been tied to so far, especially the expensive Montero.

If they can ink Melky and turn their focus to their pitching, I would be more than happy with those two improvements (LaRoche and Melky)

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
Completely agree.

Ultimately, it would be nice to see a catching upgrade as well but I'm not overly impressed with any of the players they have been tied to so far, especially the expensive Montero.

If they can ink Melky and turn their focus to their pitching, I would be more than happy with those two improvements (LaRoche and Melky)

In a real pipe dream, you could also add Headley and be in very good shape. From there, a 3 starter and a pen arm might actually make a team that could compete for a playoff spot.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
In a real pipe dream, you could also add Headley and be in very good shape. From there, a 3 starter and a pen arm might actually make a team that could compete for a playoff spot.

Ultimately, they have spent about $17M so far and have around $40-45M they are wanting to blow, which leaves them with $23-28M left to spend.

Melky- 4 years/$60M ($15M)

Headley 3 years/$21M ($7M)

That would leave them with about $6M or so to spend on a RHSP and another reliever. Would need to see a trade or two unless they plan on spending more.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
Ultimately, they have spent about $17M so far and have around $40-45M they are wanting to blow, which leaves them with $23-28M left to spend.

Melky- 4 years/$60M ($15M)

Headley 3 years/$21M ($7M)

That would leave them with about $6M or so to spend on a RHSP and another reliever. Would need to see a trade or two unless they plan on spending more.

Those are low end numbers on both of those guys as well, which is why I said it's a pipe dream.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
Right, it's not like guys typically hit their primes in their late 20's.

I remember saying to get Melky when he was on the Yankees before the whole steroid thing. I didn't have a lot of support on that one but thats the nature of suggesting anyone.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
Yeah, you're probably right. Regardless of the years, an AAV of $7M ain't happening.

jeeze, I must be missing something here. I don't know why I can't embrace him and

for what is est to be his salary.