Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
I don't know why Melky is a possibility. Sox shouldn't touch that guy IMO. I hope somebody else signs him so he gets off the board soon.

Why not? You are a free agency guy, Greg. He's one of the best available. And they'd lose a draft pick in doing so which means that you'd have 1 less prospect to not follow and 1 less draft pick to not read about. I'm very surprised by your stance.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if we sign Melky as a free agent and give up a draft pick based on our signings and trade attempts so far.

Hahn has not willingly given up a draft pick last year or so far this year and that is with protected picks and I'd be shocked to see that this year unless it was for someone like Scherzer.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
I'd be surprised if we sign Melky as a free agent and give up a draft pick based on our signings and trade attempts so far.

Hahn has not willingly given up a draft pick last year or so far this year and that is with protected picks and I'd be shocked to see that this year unless it was for someone like Scherzer.

Yeah I feel like if we don't sign him, I have no clue what we will do to try to improve LF. No one on here wants them to spend money and we don't really have the prospects to try to acquire a legit upgrade. We can only hope teams that have guys blocked in the OF (much like Eaton) are willing to move them cheap.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Yeah I feel like if we don't sign him, I have no clue what we will do to try to improve LF. No one on here wants them to spend money and we don't really have the prospects to try to acquire a legit upgrade. We can only hope teams that have guys blocked in the OF (much like Eaton) are willing to move them cheap.

I think Hahn is willing to spend the money but spending the money and the 2nd round draft pick for Cabrera may be too much for Hahn. If you look at last year, that second round pick was Spencer Adams.

There are some free-agents out there that don't require a draft pick which may be more realistic for us, someone like Nick Markakis could be the free agent signing from Hahn that would not only give us a plus defender in the outfield, but would also give us a good left-handed hitter without giving up that draft pick. I'm surprised we've not heard chatter that the White Sox are in on Markakis for example.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I think Hahn is willing to spend the money but spending the money and the 2nd round draft pick for Cabrera may be too much for Hahn. If you look at last year, that second round pick was Spencer Adams.

There are some free-agents out there that don't require a draft pick which may be more realistic for us, someone like Nick Markakis could be the free agent signing from Hahn that would not only give us a plus defender in the outfield, but would also give us a good left-handed hitter without giving up that draft pick. I'm surprised we've not heard chatter that the White Sox are in on Markakis for example.

May have something to do with Markakis wanting alot of money and him not being all that good.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)

He's NOT a plus defender, though. He used to be, and he still wants to paid like he is. But his bat is like Alejandro De Aza, which is fine, but not 4/$60m fine or whatever he's asking for.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Fixed it to reflect an accurate comparison.

He strikes out less, but their walk rates are remarkably similar.

I don't mind Markakis at the right price, but having put more time into thinking about it, I don't think I'd go more than 3 years and wouldn't go more than $14 mill AAV. 3/$42 is my limit, and if that wouldn't get him, I'd forget him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
He strikes out less, but their walk rates are remarkably similar.

I don't mind Markakis at the right price, but having put more time into thinking about it, I don't think I'd go more than 3 years and wouldn't go more than $14 mill AAV. 3/$42 is my limit, and if that wouldn't get him, I'd forget him.

I'd give Markakis 4/50 and slide him into the 2 whole behind Eaton and in front of Abreu. Then move Avi to left.

But my first guy is Melky, at least via free agency.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
Fixed it to reflect an accurate comparison.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
But his bat is like Alejandro De Aza, with a few more walks and a lot less strikeouts, and a lot less value on the basepaths, and worse defense, and, at this stage in their careers, less power.

Edited again for more detail. I don't like to put too much weight on a single projection system, but since there's only one out so far, Steamer has them at 103 wRC+ and 104 wRC+ going into next year, with De Aza actually on the high end. Even if you think Markakis ends up being better (which, honestly, I do), the point is it isn't going to be by too much when you add everything together. Definitely not 4 years at $12-15m versus a potential non-tender of 1 year $6m contract for De Aza.

And no I don't think we should get De Aza, I just don't think we should get Markakis either.

I couldn't find the exact referenced post, but want to add that I think Viciedo could be perfectly acceptable as a bench player at $4 mill per year. No, he's not good defensively and there are plenty of guys on the team who are also better defensively at the positions he plays, but it's hard to find a better use for a bench player than a [typically] league average or better hitter who has position versatility. Michael Morse played a lot more in the minor leagues and was less heralded, but that was sort of how he came about playing in the big leagues and how he keeps finding jobs, but it's worth it. There are worse players you can find to be an injury replacement or breather guy or late inning pinch hitter than Dayan Viciedo.

I mean, really, if the Sox committed $4 million to Viciedo to be a bench player and insurance plan, who would people rather see on the Sox bench going into next season?

I thought he'd be gone, but there's no point in getting rid of him just to save the money and roster spot.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
We'd be way better off giving Nori Aoki, a better baseball player, less than half that money.

I'm not even necessarily the type to like a player like Aoki, but I don't disagree with this whatsoever, except perhaps the better baseball player part.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
I'm not even necessarily the type to like a player like Aoki, but I don't disagree with this whatsoever, except perhaps the better baseball player part.

If not "better", "more valuable" over the last 3 years, over the last 2 years. Steamer projection too. Markakis' surprising jump in the defensive metrics to his closest to league average since 2008 allowed him to nudge past Aoki last year.

Markakis in that 3 years/$40-42 million or 4 years/$48-50 million range is just too expensive for what he's going to provide.

I'd honestly rather have Melky Cabrera for those elevated prices, and I don't think that would be a wise investment, either.

Would rather put a lot less money into Rasmus, Aoki and/or trade for Saunders.

Torii Hunter, he's just not an everyday outfielder anymore. Same with Morse. We SHOULD want our defense to get better, not worse.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Markakis in that 3 years/$40-42 million or 4 years/$48-50 million range is just too expensive for what he's going to provide.

I'd honestly rather have Melky Cabrera for those elevated prices, and I don't think that would be a wise investment, either.

Would rather put a lot less money into Rasmus, Aoki and/or trade for Saunders.

Torii Hunter, he's just not an everyday outfielder anymore. Same with Morse. We SHOULD want our defense to get better, not worse.

I can honestly say, I'm really not a big fan of Rasmus at all, plus I don't think he's going to be as cheap some may think. If Billy Butler gets 3/$30, then I expect Rasmus to get somewhere around that if not more. I'd guess 4 years at $11-12M per.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
I can honestly say, I'm really not a big fan of Rasmus at all, plus I don't think he's going to be as cheap some may think. If Billy Butler gets 3/$30, then I expect Rasmus to get somewhere around that if not more. I'd guess 4 years at $11-12M per.

Better not be the Sox.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:15 PM)
Can someone explain to me why I keep seeing Michael Saunders name all over this board? Why do people want him so bad? He looks like a worse version of De Aza, whom we all hated.

He just put up a half season of 126 wRC+, which is better than all our current outfielders.

If we are trying to trade for OF'ers based on a good half season, then I'd like to see the Sox try and steal AJ Pollock away from the Dbacks like they did with Eaton. He had roughly the same amount of PA's last year as Saunders, but played good CF defense, had a 134 wRC+, and stole 14 bases. All culminating in a 3.3 WAR in only 75 games. With the addition of Tomas, they now have Tomas, Trumbo, Pollock, Inciarte, Cody Ross, and David Peralta. They have a very right-handed heavy line-up, so maybe they would prefer Inciarte in CF, who is not only a terrific CF, but is left handed.

I don't think anyone thought they'd trade away Eaton a year ago, so maybe we can steal Pollock too. He'd be a very nice team-controlled upgrade in LF.

**Also, he went to Notre Dame, so Farmer and myself will love that. ;)