White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

Well, this is the type of signing I expected. I wanted Butler a few days ago, but LaRoche appears to be a good alternative to that. He's in the same salary range as Butler. He is 7 years older (7 years!) but this on paper appears to be a good gamble as much as Billy would have been a good gamble.

In pouring over his stats, I see LaRoche has had a couple off years amid pretty good years. Hoping he doesn't get hit by the White Sox free agent jinx and have that off year.

I would say as of right now, I approve of the deal, though as a caveat there is a chance he's at the age he could simply start sucking. I'm not saying he will, but he's 35. Like I've said in other threads, I hope our scouts thorougly discussed his pros and cons and how he PROJECTS from this point forward, rather than just looking at his past performance. I pray they did that.

Sorry I'm all over the map, but my take is this is a deal in which if it DOESN'T work out, some people could say, "they should have known. He's OLD by new baseball standards!" Or apologists could say, "On paper, it was a great move; nobody could have predicted such a demise."

If it does work out? Well Hahn has acquired a great piece. He's acquired a power hitter for the Cell. I'll say, "Thank you Mr. Hahn" as of today, Nov. 21.

p.s. I will say he's known as a good fielder, so I'd say make Abreu the DH. Maybe it'll piss off Abreu, but if LaRoche is a gold glover type first baseman and he's being paid 12.5 million, have the best man play first base.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
This f***ing sucks. But it's very White Sox. Cabrera is the obvious choice, but we decide to play it cheap and waste $25 million in the process. This is why we're an also ran franchise for most of our history.

This is a complete waste of money for a DH who will be lucky to slug .430 next season.

Very KW. Very KW.

Who am I kidding? This will never f***ing change until JR passes on to the next plane.

If they get Cabrera too, will you then be happy? I think it might be the next move.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
Good stuff in this article about the type of teammate LaRoche is

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/natio...6985_story.html

There was an article awhile back in the diamond club from the Washington post about a minor league player on the Nationals...anyways, I seem to remember LaRoche used to let the kid stay at his place when he was with the big league club.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
What makes you think that?

I really hope so, though.

Just a gut. Makes a lot of sense, I think. Unlike many here, I don't believe they'll spend (significantly) on a closer, and may go mid-level reclamation on the RHSP front. Masterson?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
This f***ing sucks. But it's very White Sox. Cabrera is the obvious choice, but we decide to play it cheap and waste $25 million in the process. This is why we're an also ran franchise for most of our history.

This is a complete waste of money for a DH who will be lucky to slug .430 next season.

Very KW. Very KW.

Who am I kidding? This will never f***ing change until JR passes on to the next plane.

Clown indeed.

Put me down for the opposite of all of this. LaRoche will outslug .430. As the most sought after outfielder in a very thin free agent class, Cabrera will get well overpaid in years and probably dollars. The notion that way overspending for one outfielder is the best way to improve a team with several holes is nonsensical.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)
Clown indeed.

Put me down for the opposite of all of this. LaRoche will outslug .430. As the most sought after outfielder in a very thin free agent class, Cabrera will get well overpaid in years and probably dollars. The notion that way overspending for one outfielder is the best way to improve a team with several holes is nonsensical.

That may still be by the white sox.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
Thing about Ethier is that the Sox don't really need another lefty platoon hitter at this point. In fact, someone to platoon with Laroche would be helpful.

They will have to decide in the next couple of weeks whether Viciedo's worth more or less the same ($4-4.5 million) as DeAza and Beckham in that role...assuming they find a corner of.

They've got Markakis, Cruz, Tomas, Torii Hunter, Me. Cabrera, Aoki and Rasmus remaining on the board.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 09:41 PM)
C.Rondon in 2015?

Just wow.

It didn't work to carry Brian Anderson in 2006 when we had one of the best offenses in the league...andRondon wouldn't come close to Anderson's numbers offensively.

Leury Garcia would make fewer errors than Rondon and nobody wants to see him on the roster even.

A) the 2006 team did win 90 games

B) Mackowiak played a lot of CF

C)CF is a more offensive position than SS

Yes, I'm on the trade Alexei bandwagon.

D)Rushing Rondon would basically ensure he hits like L Garcia for his entire career. Let's see if he can develop some sort of stroke first.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:39 AM)
That may still be by the white sox.

You're right. And I don't think it'd be the best move.

I am in the camp that is skeptical enough of a guy who put up 6 consecutive seasons without ever being a league average hitter, then took PEDs, hit way way better and got caught, that I'm happy for some other team to give him 5 years and $70 or $80 million as he ages into even worse outfield defense than he has put up in recent years.

Maybe if you only have 1 black hole and a lot of money to spend.

Clown indeed.

Melky will end up making about 3-4 million more per year than LaRoche. It's worth that extra money to get a decent f***ing player.

But your previous posts tell me that I might as well be talking to a rock...

And I don't mean Raines. HONK.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
They will have to decide in the next couple of weeks whether Viciedo's worth more or less the same ($4-4.5 million) as DeAza and Beckham in that role...assuming they find a corner of.

They've got Markakis, Cruz, Tomas, Torii Hunter, Me. Cabrera, Aoki and Rasmus remaining on the board.

Yea, I think they'll keep Viciedo for 1 more year and see.

I don't think they'll sign any of those guys. Maybe Rasmus

I think they'll sign 2 more pitchers and trade for an OF. I hope it involves Alexei but it may not.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
Melky will end up making about 3-4 million more per year than LaRoche. It's worth that extra money to get a decent f***ing player.

kleenex.jpg

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)

Let's keep the clown discourse for our lovely exchanges on clowntalk.com.

Melky Cabrera wRC+ by season:

2006, 130 games - 98 wRC+

2007, 150 games - 89 wRC+

2008, 129 games - 68 wRC+

2009, 154 games - 94 wRC+

2010, 147 games - 77 wRC+

2011, 155 games - 118 wRC+

2012, 113 games - 151 wRC+

2013, 88 games - 86 wRC+

2014, 139 games - 125 wRC+

So, he was a rich man's Gordon Beckham for about 5 seasons. Then he becomes Alejandro De Aza. Then, well, we know what happened in 2012. Then he plays like s***. Then he plays pretty well last year.

I think we can toss out 2012, since he was unambiguously on steroids. This definitely casts doubt on what was going on with his improvement in 2011, but who knows about that. He had an injury-riddled, crap season in 2013 after the steroid suspension. He played well last year, with an ISO at a level he has only had previously in 2011 and 2012.

To me, you're taking a big risk on a guy like that. Either way, there's no sense in freaking out about us getting LaRoche as if that has any real bearing on a possible Cabrera acquisition. I particularly don't want to give up a draft pick to sign Melky Cabrera, and we didn't have to do that with LaRoche.