2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
The White Sox's team BABIP is .298, the league average is .292.

I'm not just talking about BABIP, I'm talking about all the statistical junk that happens 22 games at a time.

The Sox also have a 76 wRC+. The number of teams that have finished a season that low since the year 2000 is TWO. So maybe the Sox will continue to hit worse than all but 0.4% of the last fifteen years' worth of teams.

The starting pitchers have an ERA- of of 132; 5 teams since 2000 did worse than that. So maybe we also have a rotation that is historically terrible.

We're on pace to lose 54.5 baseruns, which would nearly double the total of the next worst team of the last 15 years. We're not breaking records in the other two facets but we're goin' for it here.

But hey, the bullpen's ERA- is 69 though! Only 11 teams equaled that. And five other teams in 2015 are on pace to do the same! Maybe this is truly a year for unbelievably great relief pitching.

OR... 22 games.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 5, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
I'm not just talking about BABIP, I'm talking about all the statistical junk that happens 22 games at a time.

The Sox also have a 76 wRC+. The number of teams that have finished a season that low since the year 2000 is TWO. So maybe the Sox will continue to hit worse than all but 0.4% of the last fifteen years' worth of teams.

The starting pitchers have an ERA- of of 132; 5 teams since 2000 did worse than that. So maybe we also have a rotation that is historically terrible.

We're on pace to lose 54.5 baseruns, which would nearly double the total of the next worst team of the last 15 years. We're not breaking records in the other two facets but we're goin' for it here.

But hey, the bullpen's ERA- is 69 though! Only 11 teams equaled that. And five other teams in 2015 are on pace to do the same! Maybe this is truly a year for unbelievably great relief pitching.

OR... 22 games.

So in other words, the White Sox's hitting might get a little bit better because the power is missing but not by a whole lot unless they can cut down on the strikeouts, the starting pitching should get better, and the bullpen should get worse.

Not a strong argument for "we need to cool it a bit on the Sox" to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
So in other words, the White Sox's hitting might get a little bit better because the power is missing but not by a whole lot unless they can cut down on the strikeouts, the starting pitching should get better, and the bullpen should get worse. things normalize.

Hell, I'll expand. The hitting "might get a little bit better" is a gross distortion of what I was getting at. To continue the thing with the last 15 seasons, the Sox are on pace for the lowest ISO and the lowest HR total. I'm saying the hitting will get significantly better.

If it doesn't, then I don't know anybody anywhere who could have done anything to fix it or predict it.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 5, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
I haven't watched much at all so I'm in the same boat and I get your point. In fact, I'll even boldly predict that Bryant won't have as good a career as Ted Williams. But any time you can be mentioned in a sentence with him, you're doing okay.

Gordon Beckham was being declared a future multi-time MVP after his rookie season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2454389...on-on-letterman

Will Ferrell brings back Harry Caray to Letterman, had to laugh with references to the 80's and 90's Cubs.

As much as I love his impression of Harry, that one wasn't his best. Not sure where that southern accent belongs...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2015 -> 10:03 PM)
As much as I love his impression of Harry, that one wasn't his best. Not sure where that southern accent belongs...

He's always done it that way. The problem is everyone who does Harry Caray now is just doing Will Ferrell's impression.

This is the best impression ever. Perfect.

Joe Maddon earned some kudos for sticking up for his young guys last night! That was a classic mic'd up tirade!..."you've been fu@#$% my young guys all night!..." lol...

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
He's always done it that way. The problem is everyone who does Harry Caray now is just doing Will Ferrell's impression.

Yeah, that guy would appear on Kevin Mathews a lot and was incredible.

Was he the drummer for Mr. Blotto?

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)

This guy used to be on Brandmeier's show doing the spot on Harry, a spot on Wally Phillips, and a spot on Steve Stone talking about the party they had the night before.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 5, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
And just to expand on this, Bryant has a 52.8% flyball rate. Look at the BABIPs of the other guys around there. 9 of the 30 on that page are below .200. You should not have a .444 BABIP ever, but least of all when you hit that many fly balls and also pop up 15% of the time.

This is the type of noise you see after 25 games and it's another reason people need to chill out a little on the Sox.

His BABIP is now at .463 and he's ranked 96th in hard-hit percentage. If he doesn't start hitting dingers he's in trouble.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 7, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
Is Mr. Blotto a big deal? The main singer threw me his guitar pick when I was like 10 years old.

Not that I know of, local Chicago band for years and years, I happened to see them a time or two about 10 years ago and the drummer would break into a Harry Caray impression that was spot on and sounded so much like the guy on Kevin Mathews.

Since they think Bryant is the savior, he's at 90 plate appearances without a homer. Frank Thomas got his first in his 98th.

Next two games, or after?

Kyle Lohse would seem to be an ideal candidate today.

Edited by flavum