2015 Videogame thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Wow, IGN gave The Order quite a dissapointing review. Definitely will be passing on that game now.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually really liked The Order. I can see some of the complaints people had with the early game being a bit slow and not a ton of gameplay, but I had fun with it.

I think it breaks down into two camps. If you're one of those people who doesn't care about the story in games and skips cut scenes, then stay far clear of this game. If you think of cut scenes as a sort of reward for beating a section of gameplay and don't mind watching the story unfold for a few minutes in between gameplay sections, then you'll probably enjoy this game.

It's gorgeous, the world they created with the knights is cool, I enjoyed the story, the science weapons they made up are super fun. The gameplay is fairly average for a third-person cover shooter, but nothing egregious. There's a s***load of quick time events, which I normally can't stand, but this game's weren't annoying.

I can see why a lot of people weren't thrilled with it (although there are very few bad reviews, simply average/ok ones), but I enjoyed it. It's not five hours long like leaked on the internet, you'd have to sprint through the game to pull that off, but it's shorter than an Uncharted game for example. If you're worried about it, get it for $20 at some point down the road and it will give you a good weekend.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 01:20 AM)
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually really liked The Order. I can see some of the complaints people had with the early game being a bit slow and not a ton of gameplay, but I had fun with it.

I think it breaks down into two camps. If you're one of those people who doesn't care about the story in games and skips cut scenes, then stay far clear of this game. If you think of cut scenes as a sort of reward for beating a section of gameplay and don't mind watching the story unfold for a few minutes in between gameplay sections, then you'll probably enjoy this game.

It's gorgeous, the world they created with the knights is cool, I enjoyed the story, the science weapons they made up are super fun. The gameplay is fairly average for a third-person cover shooter, but nothing egregious. There's a s***load of quick time events, which I normally can't stand, but this game's weren't annoying.

I can see why a lot of people weren't thrilled with it (although there are very few bad reviews, simply average/ok ones), but I enjoyed it. It's not five hours long like leaked on the internet, you'd have to sprint through the game to pull that off, but it's shorter than an Uncharted game for example. If you're worried about it, get it for $20 at some point down the road and it will give you a good weekend.

I actually enjoy story-driven games, even if they lack traditional gameplay. Heavy Rain would be a perfect example of such a title. And honestly I'm cool with shorter length games, but I can't justify paying $60 for a 5 hour experience. Glad to hear it's a bit longer and that the story/setting is as good as advertised. Like you said, probably worth a shot if it's $30 or less, which is likely in a couple of months.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)
I actually enjoy story-driven games, even if they lack traditional gameplay. Heavy Rain would be a perfect example of such a title. And honestly I'm cool with shorter length games, but I can't justify paying $60 for a 5 hour experience. Glad to hear it's a bit longer and that the story/setting is as good as advertised. Like you said, probably worth a shot if it's $30 or less, which is likely in a couple of months.

I'm kind of OCD about checking every corner for collectibles so my playthroughs always take longer than most people, but I think it took me about 9 hours. Most normal people clock in probably around 8.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)

Heavy Rain was so good. I think they talked about working on a second one a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything in a while.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:40 PM)
Anybody gonna get the show when it comes out?

Amazon will be shipping it to me that day. For whatever reason UPS comes to my apartment at like 7 which sucks, hopefully they will be early that day. My PS4 didn't show up until probably 8 on the day it was suppose to arrive. I was pissed all day thinking it wasn't going to come.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
A few MLBTS player ratings were leaked yesterday (the real ones, not some random blogger's). For the White Sox, Sale is 93, Abreu 88, and Melky 82.

Yep, I am looking at the video right now and have it paused on the Sox roster screen...they are.....

Sale - 93

Abreu - 89

Robertson - 86

Samardzija/Alexei - 84

Melky - 82

Eaton/Bonifacio/LaRoche/Q - 80

Jones - 78

Crain - 75

Flowers - 74

Danks/Putnam - 73

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
Yep, I am looking at the video right now and have it paused on the Sox roster screen...they are.....

Sale - 93

Abreu - 89

Robertson - 86

Samardzija/Alexei - 84

Melky - 82

Eaton/Bonifacio/LaRoche/Q - 80

Jones - 78

Crain - 75

Flowers - 74

Danks/Putnam - 73

Quintana has the same rating as Bonifacio...LOL.

Bad ratings aside, I was watching some gameplay and I'm really liking what they've done this year.

Edit: You can find some Sox gameplay at around 6 hours in this stream: http://www.twitch.tv/sonysandiegostudio/b/635993244

Edited by chw42

I just went ahead and ordered the New Nintendo 3DS XL and five games. I love video games, but with a 10 day old, the opportunity to have an hour here or there to play an entire game of NBA really doesn't exist.

Picked up

New Super Mario Bros

New Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario 3D Land

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Mario Kart 7

Make fun of my, Kyle. I'm excited to play these, though.

I won't make fun of you, it's all fun.

I thought we had lost MarioKart 7 but I cleaned out my van this weekend and found it under one of the seats. I was pretty happy because losing it was like throwing away 30 bucks. So many games on the 3ds I want to give a try

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 15, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
I won't make fun of you, it's all fun.

I thought we had lost MarioKart 7 but I cleaned out my van this weekend and found it under one of the seats. I was pretty happy because losing it was like throwing away 30 bucks. So many games on the 3ds I want to give a try

Any recommendations?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 15, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
Any recommendations?

You picked out quite a good bunch. The Zelda remakes (ocarina, Majoras mask) and the sequel to Link to the Past are pretty awesome.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
Wow, so EA dropped Tiger Woods and picked up Rory for the new golf game.

Hard to keep putting a guy on your cover that barely plays anymore, and when he does isnt really that good

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
So Nintendo just announced a deal with DeNA to start developing phone based games, and they announced that a new console is in development as well under the code name NX. And apparently investors are very happy with this

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/17/tra...ip-announcement

The issue is how much does that cut into their very successful monopoly on handheld gaming. Maybe they'll be able to charge 10-15 bucks for Mario on your phone. But they can charge 30-40 and sell you a handheld unit with the 3DS.