Opening Day '15 - Blackout?

My_Sox_Summer

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
While at a New Years Eve party with fellow Sox fans, the idea was tossed out for doing a blackout for opening day.

Thoughts?

I think it would make a unity statement, for the fans and the team.

can you pls explain/

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
Well, except it's the Home Opener, not opening day, and Danks is pitching, so the excitement won't be as high.

My buddies and I are doing the 7 game plan, and we have a choice for the Home Opener, or a Cubs/Sox game, and we are all taking the Cubs/Sox game.

Eh, I think a home opener on a Friday is gonna be a rager. Just my view. Plenty of excitement to go around if you ask me!

I have a split season plan, so I get both. Sox / Cubs will be fun this year too.

Well, except it's the Home Opener, not opening day, and Danks is pitching, so the excitement won't be as high.

My buddies and I are doing the 7 game plan, and we have a choice for the Home Opener, or a Cubs/Sox game, and we are all taking the Cubs/Sox game.

What is it, 2004?

The home opener is always awesome, especially on a Friday.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
While at a New Years Eve party with fellow Sox fans, the idea was tossed out for doing a blackout for opening day / home opener.

Thoughts?

I think it would make a unity statement, for the fans and the team.

Send something to Brooks Boyer and see what he says

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
What is it, 2004?

The home opener is always awesome, especially on a Friday.

I guess I've never been to one, so I wouldn't know, but I can never sleep the night before opening day, and I end up waking up about 4 hours earlier than I usually do because I am so excited and I clear my whole schedule for it. I don't do any of that for the home opener. I'll still watch it, obviously, I just don't freak out about it's arrival I guess. Do we even sell out non-opening day home openers?

EDIT: I looked it up myself. I only went back to our last 3 home openers, in 2012, 2011, and 2008, and we didn't sell out any of them. One was on a Thursday vs. Rays, another on a Friday vs. Tigers, other one on a Monday vs. Twins.

Edited by Chilihead90

Don't blame you. I was thinking of going to Sox opening Day, but like you said, Danks will be pitching. Looking at that Sunday for Sale's first home start.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
I guess I've never been to one, so I wouldn't know, but I can never sleep the night before opening day, and I end up waking up about 4 hours earlier than I usually do because I am so excited and I clear my whole schedule for it. I don't do any of that for the home opener. I'll still watch it, obviously, I just don't freak out about it's arrival I guess. Do we even sell out non-opening day home openers?

EDIT: I looked it up myself. I only went back to our last 3 home openers, in 2012, 2011, and 2008, and we didn't sell out any of them. One was on a Thursday vs. Rays, another on a Friday vs. Tigers, other one on a Monday vs. Twins.

2007: 38,088 (OD)

2008: 38,082 (non-OD)

2009: 37,449 (OD)

2010: 38,935 (OD)

2011: 38,579 (non-OD)

2012: 38,676 (non-OD)

2013: 39,012 (OD)

2014: 37,422 (OD)

I would say there is zero attendance correlation between the home opener being Opening Day or not. The park gets packed either way (maybe not a sellout, but welcome to White Sox baseball) It's still much higher attendance than the Cubs series, which are nowhere near as exciting as they were ten years ago IMO. To each their own though.

It might be Noesi pitching if they go LRLRL

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)

Sox haven't missed an opening day sell out since 1999.

The official attendance is paid admissions. Comps don't count.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
It might be Noesi pitching if they go LRLRL

I would bet that is what the rotation will be if the starting staff does not change between now and then. Danks and Sale are such different pitchers that there should be no problem with them pitching back to back.

As for the Black Out: love the idea and those beautiful black White Sox jerseys will keep people warm on a cool April afternoon, assuming the sun is out. If I end up buying tickets to the opener I will already be set since the only Sox jersey's I own are black. :D

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)
2007: 38,088 (OD)

2008: 38,082 (non-OD)

2009: 37,449 (OD)

2010: 38,935 (OD)

2011: 38,579 (non-OD)

2012: 38,676 (non-OD)

2013: 39,012 (OD)

2014: 37,422 (OD)

I would say there is zero attendance correlation between the home opener being Opening Day or not. The park gets packed either way (maybe not a sellout, but welcome to White Sox baseball) It's still much higher attendance than the Cubs series, which are nowhere near as exciting as they were ten years ago IMO. To each their own though.

Those are all considered sellouts. Anything 37k and up. And the number never gets higher than about 39k. People may not know, but the attendance figure is never going to actually reach the capacity of the park, due to a number of factors. True of every team, every game.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
if you remember 2006, that 2 hour rain delay... and Jim Thome's epic tater into right-center FTW. Made sure to check the Sportscenter highlight for Jon Miller's homer call.

I was one of like 8 people to stay for that entire game. Good times.

A few years back I emailed Brooks Boyer about the possibility of calling for a blackout game. It was a midseason game against Detroit if I recall correctly, one that would have been huge for the Sox to win.

Brooks was kind enough to reply and say he loved the blackout game but they can't really "call" for one unless they are certain the stadium is going to be pretty much filled.

The home opener seems a solid enough idea, and as cool as it might be, I don't know that they would call for it. The game itself isn't highly necessary to win, and if I had to guess, I'd guess they'd like to save blackouts for games with greater implications.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
I was there for the whole thing and remember none of it.

Home Opener v cub game is a no brainer. 37K die hards v 5K die hards.

I'll take the home opener every day and twice on Tuesday.

I was only 18 at the time and by myself so I remember all of it. Saw a great fight on the concourse during the rain delay, all in all a very entertaining night out!

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
I was there for the whole thing and remember none of it.

Home Opener v cub game is a no brainer. 37K die hards v 5K die hards.

I'll take the home opener every day and twice on Tuesday.

Yeah, I'll pretty certain they Sox have never drawn 5,000 for a Sox/Cubs game. I'd be surprised if they have drawn under 15K, and I would expect about 25K or more on weekend series games.

I'm not saying Opening Day games suck, I'm just saying if it's not Sale or Samardzija or Q pitching, then I'm going to have much less interest in actually attending in person. If this was game #10 of the season and Sale was pitching, I would choose that over a Cubs/Sox game. But I honestly have no desire to see Danks/Noesi pitch.

Edited by Chilihead90