Brandon Beachy

WKamm

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 03:07 AM)
This entire offseason has been the Sox spending way more than anyone anticipated.

and this offseason, the fans finally found out how much money JR and owners have to bank. the tv money imcome alone is 190 + mil a yr. the salary of the sox is 120+ mil a net profit of 60+ mil and the income from the fans, concessions, commercial leasing etc.... adds to that profit margin.

the sox have several areas of concerns,

2 of Garcia and Eaton who are a health concern backup ---- Bonifacio

Jose A, has to be healthy ---- backup LaRoche

chris sale ---- backup ??? rodon and in a playoff race, how bout those innings

oh i forgot how important another backup for that infield is so they went out and got beckham.

how bout a backup for the catcher---- ???

the bench.. thompson, jb shuck those players really strike fear in the opposing pitchers.

this team can really build something special and can keep it going.

Edited by LDF

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)
and this offseason, the fans finally found out how much money JR and owners have to bank. the tv money imcome alone is 190 + mil a yr. the salary of the sox is 120+ mil a net profit of 60+ mil and the income from the fans, concessions, commercial leasing etc.... adds to that profit margin.

oh i forgot how important another backup for that infield is so they went out and got beckham.

the bench.. thompson, jb shuck those players really strike fear in the opposing pitchers.

So, because you found out how much the sox really make, you get to tell them how to spend it and be angry with them and be angry at Jerry because he didn't sign people that you have determined they need?

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)

You should really fact check this. Only 3 teams top that figure with their TV deals. We are far from that figure.

In terms of the catcher's position, we have more depth than at any time in recent Sox history...you've got 3 veterans in Soto/Kottaras/Brantly, Nieto and Kevan Smith.

That's not GREAT, but much improved compared to last year entering the season.

The 4th outfielder, likely, is on another team right now...it's not like we're stuck with the only options being Taylor and Shuck.

As far as the rotation goes, we are six deep with Rodon, and that's not including Beck, Scott Carroll and Brad Penny. We're in a better position than 75% of other teams, and with Danks on the books for two more years, making ANOTHER move before the season would have been foolhardy.

If there was a speculative move to be made, it should have been a two-year deal like the Royals signed with Medlen, so that you have additional back-up insurance for Samardzija leaving via FA before 2016.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 11:19 PM)
I can't believe this fight is happening over Brandon Beachy

Well, Beachy is pretty dreamy.

As for the Sox. They have taken the payroll from the mid to high 40's in the beginning of the off season to about 120M now. The Sox have made more and better moves than I anticipated so I am one happy fan right here. This team has come a looong way since July of 2013.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
I just don't understand how Beachy can sign with the Dodgers and it becomes an indictment on Reinsdorf. I think that is terrible

it wasn't just the signing of Beachy that got to me, it was prob the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. first, i have always stated that as an owner, he has the right to make money. but earlier in the offseason the FO was stating they didn't have money only enuf to spend xx amount to improve. then the FO said, they couldn't spend without the fans supporting them and spending money to help spend on FA's. then someone found the TV money deal on, i don't know, maybe forbes.

the bottom line, is this team to sooo close to doing something that has happen once in the last 10 yrs. i look back at JR and his legacy is going to be 1 ws where several could have been done, b/c of being frugal, too frugal.

the sox can make the playoff, this team is loaded, but there are holes. i am a fan and i been saying this team can make the playoff before many posters and some doubt it, that is ok, but i am not blind to know that there are holes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 08:43 AM)
In terms of the catcher's position, we have more depth than at any time in recent Sox history...you've got 3 veterans in Soto/Kottaras/Brantly, Nieto and Kevan Smith.

That's not GREAT, but much improved compared to last year entering the season.

The 4th outfielder, likely, is on another team right now...it's not like we're stuck with the only options being Taylor and Shuck.

As far as the rotation goes, we are six deep with Rodon, and that's not including Beck, Scott Carroll and Brad Penny. We're in a better position than 75% of other teams, and with Danks on the books for two more years, making ANOTHER move before the season would have been foolhardy.

If there was a speculative move to be made, it should have been a two-year deal like the Royals signed with Medlen, so that you have additional back-up insurance for Samardzija leaving via FA before 2016.

ref nieto, it was said from the beginning of the offseason, he needs 1 yr in the minors, and smith is not ready.

wow brad penny whew, we are saved .... lets be serious, rodon is unproven, beck and erik johnson, can they make the transition to the majors. i am talking about a 1 yr deal with a proven pitcher who may be a very good pitcher to help out in the innings. to help save the arms of the team's ACE's. to be ready to perform in the playoff and for the long haul.

if eaton goes down due to injury and maybe garcia.....

if jose a goes to the IR who will be the dh

depth, quality players the farms is close but it is not there.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:22 AM)
You should really fact check this. Only 3 teams top that figure with their TV deals. We are far from that figure.

i am going with the info that another poster posted about the tv deal via his post with a link.

there were 2 incomes from the tv deal, 1 was in the 130 mil and the 2 is in the 60 mil. i didn't understand it, but it was in the link. i believe it was caulfield12 who found the link.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:15 AM)
Man, maybe Jerry is just a smart business man that doesn't want to saddle the team with franchise crippling deals?

all this off season, i am not spouting about a long term contract, but a contract for 1 or 2 yrs. there were pitchers who were avail for that and sign for that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:50 AM)
it wasn't just the signing of Beachy that got to me, it was prob the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. first, i have always stated that as an owner, he has the right to make money. but earlier in the offseason the FO was stating they didn't have money only enuf to spend xx amount to improve. then the FO said, they couldn't spend without the fans supporting them and spending money to help spend on FA's. then someone found the TV money deal on, i don't know, maybe forbes.

the bottom line, is this team to sooo close to doing something that has happen once in the last 10 yrs. i look back at JR and his legacy is going to be 1 ws where several could have been done, b/c of being frugal, too frugal.

the sox can make the playoff, this team is loaded, but there are holes. i am a fan and i been saying this team can make the playoff before many posters and some doubt it, that is ok, but i am not blind to know that there are holes.

This is patently false

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 04:50 AM)
So, because you found out how much the sox really make, you get to tell them how to spend it and be angry with them and be angry at Jerry because he didn't sign people that you have determined they need?

fans are always talking about getting this player or that player, that is part of being a fan. so with that how am i doing it differently??

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:19 AM)
I can't believe this fight is happening over Brandon Beachy

all this, imo, is really a nice discussions. a discussion of point of views. no one is angry at anyone. i like this discussion.

i think it is all good. can't wait for the season to start tho.

Let's look at it this way.

What team in MLB doesn't have a number of flaws?

We can name 10-12 things that could go wrong with the Tigers off the top of our heads, and their payroll's a lot higher than the Sox. They've probably spent almost a billion dollars this past decade, still with no World Series titles.

Even the Nationals and Dodgers, we could pick apart their weaknesses.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Let's look at it this way.

What team in MLB doesn't have a number of flaws?

We can name 10-12 things that could go wrong with the Tigers off the top of our heads, and their payroll's a lot higher than the Sox. They've probably spent almost a billion dollars this past decade, still with no World Series titles.

Even the Nationals and Dodgers, we could pick apart their weaknesses.

and it is all good. i was spouting off on 1 major part that is needed. beachy was the catalyst that started this for me.

but dang it, the sox needed another sp. :lol:

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 07:06 AM)
fans are always talking about getting this player or that player, that is part of being a fan. so with that how am i doing it differently??

being disappointed that the Sox didnt sign a player is a lot different from saying "The Sox will make 190 million dollars so they should spend it all, and Jerry is cheap/frugal because he didnt sign XXXXXXX player".

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:50 AM)

You must have been watching a different team the last 10 years. I saw a franchise that was constantly at the top of the division in spending, yet consistently underachieved. Until the last two seasons, they were at a $100+ million payroll for seven straight seasons. I'd blame KW and Ozzie more than Jerry.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
this is the sox trying to save money, how much profit does the owners need.

The White Sox guaranteed the most years to players in terms of guaranteed contracts this offseason and spent the 4th most money. This "JR is cheap" bit you pull from time to time is ridiculous. The White Sox have spent a ton of money.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
coming off the 2nd surgery is one thing, and a major thing at that. but come on, jr is not going to spend more than he has too. he would have been a great pickup, a 1 yr and out type of pitcher. that is if the club doesn't want a multi yr kind of pickup right now.

He's not going to pitch for months, and there is a really high chance he will never be the same pitcher again. I'd hardly call that a great pick up. I'd call it a lottery ticket.