Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see / post this yet?

The Astros discussed Jeff Samardzija with the White Sox prior to acquiring Scott Kazmir earlier today, tweets Jerry Crasnick of ESPN. The lack of a consummated trade was not due to the fact that the White Sox weren’t willing to part ways with Samardzija, a source tells Crasnick (Twitter link), but rather just due to the fact that the Astros deemed Kazmir a better fit.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 3m3 minutes ago

Samardzija on expectations for trade: "I haven’t heard anything so I haven’t had any way to have an opinion on the matter.....

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 3m3 minutes ago

More Samardzija: "... It’s been totally silent on my end."

The Yankees would be s good trade partner, since they do have some high upside position players but they're further down the line in their development.

How about this:

Shark to the Yankees for Dermis Garcia (17yo 3B), Miguel Flames (17yo C) and Jorge Mateo (MIF 19yo).

The center in this deal would Dermis Garcia, who was the Yankees top July 2nd signing in terms of price last year at $3M and he profiles as a guy who can hit 30 homers a year and he has elite bat speed. He was signed as a shortstop but he was listed at 6'3 and 200lbs and as he fills out expect his long term home to be on the corners, Kiley McDaniel mentions third, first and left being possibilities. He did put on some extra weight, which is to be expected for a LA prospect coming to America but expect that calm down as he enters a major league training program. His swing reminds me of Alex Rodriguez and the amount of potential he has is unreal, especially with the bat.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:05 AM)
You're really all in on the Latin signings aren't you?

You should see my Latin temper, kidding I'm African American.

But the Yankees more intriguing prospects are J2 guys, thanks to a period of bad drafting. If the Sox are looking for potential high upside bats, they need to give the Yankees a serious look.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:14 AM)
I don't see these teenagers fitting the type of players they will be targeting.

I don't either, I'm just trying to start discussion.

Edit: But wouldn't be more cost effective to trade for those guys now rather in a couple years When they're closer to the majors?

Edited by Joshua Strong

Well this is interesting.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...hot-stove-heats

"In exchange for Kazmir, who shares the same contract status as Samardzija, Oakland received Houston’s No. 19 and No. 22 prospects. One baseball executive thinks the White Sox could expect to receive a little more than the A’s did.

But if other teams look at a trade market that seems to be saturated with pitchers and don’t give them what they want, the White Sox could hang on to Samardzija and make him a qualifying offer, which would net them a compensatory first-round pick in the 2016 draft. One scout suggested the White Sox would receive no more than a “B” level prospect for Samardzija to which an American League scout said: “If that was the case, they’d be better off keeping (him) for the draft pick.”

I'm not sure what to think outside of I hope the Sox do not sign Samardzija in the off season.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
I don't either, I'm just trying to start discussion.

Edit: But wouldn't be more cost effective to trade for those guys now rather in a couple years When they're closer to the majors?

Not unless they're players like Yoan Moncada, Alex Guerrero and Hector Olivera.

They can't afford the bust rate of three teenagers who have a better chance of not reaching AA than they do of ever making a big league roster.

If you're Hahn, you simply can't afford to be that patient or the rebuild will be a decade-long project.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:00 AM)
The Yankees would be s good trade partner, since they do have some high upside position players but they're further down the line in their development.

How about this:

Shark to the Yankees for Dermis Garcia (17yo 3B), Miguel Flames (17yo C) and Jorge Mateo (MIF 19yo).

The center in this deal would Dermis Garcia, who was the Yankees top July 2nd signing in terms of price last year at $3M and he profiles as a guy who can hit 30 homers a year and he has elite bat speed. He was signed as a shortstop but he was listed at 6'3 and 200lbs and as he fills out expect his long term home to be on the corners, Kiley McDaniel mentions third, first and left being possibilities. He did put on some extra weight, which is to be expected for a LA prospect coming to America but expect that calm down as he enters a major league training program. His swing reminds me of Alex Rodriguez and the amount of potential he has is unreal, especially with the bat.

None of these guys have hit the states yet, right?

Part of me still thinks that Sox will sign Shark. I also wonder if they are reluctant to pay Shark a bunch since that would move his salary way past Sale's?? But then, WTF did they think when they traded for him last winter?

How about this:

Part of me still thinks that Sox will sign Shark. I also wonder if they are reluctant to pay Shark a bunch since that would move his salary way past Sale's?? But then, WTF did they think when they traded for him last winter?

How about this:

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

that adding shark would give them a better chance of winning in the season, let alone in the playoff.

it would've if the sox hadn't started off horrible.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 07:02 AM)
Well this is interesting.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...hot-stove-heats

"In exchange for Kazmir, who shares the same contract status as Samardzija, Oakland received Houston’s No. 19 and No. 22 prospects. One baseball executive thinks the White Sox could expect to receive a little more than the A’s did.

But if other teams look at a trade market that seems to be saturated with pitchers and don’t give them what they want, the White Sox could hang on to Samardzija and make him a qualifying offer, which would net them a compensatory first-round pick in the 2016 draft. One scout suggested the White Sox would receive no more than a “B” level prospect for Samardzija to which an American League scout said: “If that was the case, they’d be better off keeping (him) for the draft pick.”

I'm not sure what to think outside of I hope the Sox do not sign Samardzija in the off season.

Those were preseason rankings. Callis said Nottingham would be 9 in the mid season list, so he has blown up pretty well.

I would trade Shark and Putnam to the Yankees for J.R Murphy , Jagielo, and PTBL. Sox Front office have been a fan of Murphy in the past and is major league ready which is what Hahn is looking for. Also PTBL can be determined based on how far the Yankees go in the playoffs. Have some upside to this deal.

How about this:

That is a lot of questions marks. I'd prefer to not look at guys who are half of a decade away... at best.

Here are some packages that I think could happen.

Toronto gets: SP Jeff Samardzija and RP Zach Putnam

White Sox get:SP Sean Reid-Foley, RP Miguel Castro, OF Anthony Alford

Yankees get: SP Jeff Samardzija

White Sox get: SS Jorge Mateo, C Gary Sanchez

Giants get: SP Jeff Samardzija

White Sox get: SS Christian Arroyo, SP Miguel Santos, SS Kelvin Beltre

Pirates get: SP Jeff Samardzija

White Sox get: OF Austin Meadows, SS Alen Hanson

Dodgers get: SP Jeff Samardzija and RP Zach Putnam

White Sox get: OF Alex Verdugo, SP Zach Lee, C Austin Barnes

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
Here are some packages that I think could happen.

Toronto gets: SP Jeff Samardzija and RP Zach Putnam

White Sox get:SP Sean Reid-Foley, RP Miguel Castro, OF Anthony Alford

Yankees get: SP Jeff Samardzija

White Sox get: SS Jorge Mateo, C Gary Sanchez

Giants get: SP Jeff Samardzija

White Sox get: SS Christian Arroyo, SP Miguel Santos, SS Kelvin Beltre

Pirates get: SP Jeff Samardzija

White Sox get: OF Austin Meadows, SS Alen Hanson

Dodgers get: SP Jeff Samardzija and RP Zach Putnam

White Sox get: OF Alex Verdugo, SP Zach Lee, C Austin Barnes

Wow you are expecting a huge return for Shark. This market is flushed with starting pitching. I think you are going to be very disappointed when Shark is finally traded. That Toronto trade is so far off. Toronto would never do that.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
If we do trade Shark, let's say he wants back and Sox sign him. Do we give up a draft pick?

No. Once a player is traded that is eligible for a QO, that player does not require a pick then. Example, John Lester last year.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
Wow you are expecting a huge return for Shark. This market is flushed with starting pitching. I think you are going to be very disappointed when Shark is finally traded. That Toronto trade is so far off. Toronto would never do that.

How so? They keep their top prospects that are near ready in Norris, and keep guys like Hoffman, Pentecost. Alford and Reid-Foley are ways away still, and Castro is a power arm out of the pen.

If you can't get a deal like that then you don't make the deal, that simple. Also, in that deal, TOR would get Putnam who does bring value.