Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)
Completely agree. Worst farm system in baseball & a ton of aging players & a s*** pitching staff & they want to contend instead of building their farm w/ two big trades of Price & Cespedes? Stupid.

Went to their baseball-reference page because I didn't think they had a s*** pitching staff. But damn... that's a s*** pitching staff. Outside of Price, they have literally zero decent pitchers. Even Anibal Sanchez sucks now.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
To me, the 2015 Twins = the 2012 White Sox. They'll fall off, it's just a matter of when.

That offense is legit and is actually doing worse than 2014. But that starting rotation has a horseshoe stuck up their you know what.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
Went to their baseball-reference page because I didn't think they had a s*** pitching staff. But damn... that's a s*** pitching staff. Outside of Price, they have literally zero decent pitchers. Even Anibal Sanchez sucks now.

Offense has been carrying that team, it's like one of the tops on baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:09 PM)
They have to go for it. Look at those contracts, look at their ages, the future is now.

I can actually see the Tigers caught in that weird limbo of aging veterans and lack luster prospects like the Sox had from 2009-2012. Hahn has been trying to build the farm back up since 2013, while also attempting to compete at the same time. Apart of me wonders how badly Hahn truly wanted to do a proper rebuild starting in 2013? This "retooling on the fly" crap has not worked at all!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
I can actually see the Tigers caught in that weird limbo of aging veterans and lack luster prospects like the Sox had from 2009-2012. Hahn has been trying to build the farm back up since 2013, while also attempting to compete at the same time. Apart of me wonders how badly Hahn truly wanted to do a proper rebuild starting in 2013? This "retooling on the fly" crap has not worked at all!

They are similar to the recent Phillies squads. Outsiders can see that they need to sell, but ownership is locked into one more push for the series. At least the Phillies won once.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:32 AM)
I remember the "Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija" thread got like 200 pages of responses. It's sad that in such a short time, the "What can we get when we sell Samardzija" thread exists and has 86 pages.

It's amazing how weird this saga is and continues to be. The Sox get Shark and many magazines pick them to win the division with this amazing pitching staff.

Then the team plays so putrid and goes on so many weird losing streaks and stretches of abysmal play, most of us give up (El Rockin and maybe 1-2 others kept faith). Now, suddenly Sox are only 5 out of the second wildcard and there is the chance this upcoming trade will be what kills the team's chances once and for all, lol.

Moral of the story: Don't play such BAD baseball when you are bad. I mean, ON PAPER, this team continues to be in the wild card race. The trade of Shark, however, figures to doom the team more, unless Johnson is amazing.

At this point, I won't even be mad if they keep him and we get a draft pick when we lose him to free agency. I mean, this team is so fricking WEIRD we probably should keep it intact all season to see what ultimately happens. I mean this team is so bizarre LaRoche will probably find his stroke in September and hit 15 homers that month. At this point I'd rather keep Shark then send him away and get ripped off. Like I said, this freakishly weird team will probably go 25-5 in September and win the WC, then loose in the playoffs, cruise to the World Series.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
It's amazing how weird this saga is and continues to be. The Sox get Shark and many magazines pick them to win the division with this amazing pitching staff.

Then the team plays so putrid and goes on so many weird losing streaks and stretches of abysmal play, most of us give up (El Rockin and maybe 1-2 others kept faith). Now, suddenly Sox are only 5 out of the second wildcard and there is the chance this upcoming trade will be what kills the team's chances once and for all, lol.

Moral of the story: Don't play such BAD baseball when you are bad. I mean, ON PAPER, this team continues to be in the wild card race. The trade of Shark, however, figures to doom the team more, unless Johnson is amazing.

At this point, I won't even be mad if they keep him and we get a draft pick when we lose him to free agency. I mean, this team is so fricking WEIRD we probably should keep it intact all season to see what ultimately happens. I mean this team is so bizarre LaRoche will probably find his stroke in September and hit 15 homers that month. At this point I'd rather keep Shark then send him away and get ripped off. Like I said, this freakishly weird team will probably go 25-5 in September and win the WC, then loose in the playoffs, cruise to the World Series.

This team needs to go 3 of 4 in BOS and sweep NYY before I can buy in. Just can't let myself believe yet.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 03:05 AM)
This team needs to go 3 of 4 in BOS and sweep NYY before I can buy in. Just can't let myself believe yet.

You are prolly right. This four game sweep of Cleveland is probably one we'll look back and say, how the hell did that happen?

Serious question about Samardzija's impending free agency. I was just looking at James Shields' contract which pays him 21M per season covering the 2016/17/18 seasons and a 19 team option of 16M. Shields numbers have gone down despite switching to the NL in a pitchers park , pitching in a division with pitchers parks. Samardzija is about three years younger so just how much is he going to ask for? :o

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 10:17 PM)
Serious question about Samardzija's impending free agency. I was just looking at James Shields' contract which pays him 21M per season covering the 2016/17/18 seasons and a 19 team option of 16M. Shields numbers have gone down despite switching to the NL in a pitchers park , pitching in a division with pitchers parks. Samardzija is about three years younger so just how much is he going to ask for? :o

At $7 million per WAR, and a three year history of 2.9, 2.9, and 4.2 WAR prior to this year's current 2.5, you could figure 3.5 x $7.0 million or $24.5 million per year asking price.

Asking for $24-25 million per year and getting it are two different things. But he doesn't have the mileage on his pitching arm that Shields or Price or other front-of-the-rotation starters have.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 10:27 PM)
At $7 million per WAR, and a three year history of 2.9, 2.9, and 4.2 WAR prior to this year's current 2.5, you could figure 3.5 x $7.0 million or $24.5 million per year asking price.

Asking for $24-25 million per year and getting it are two different things. But he doesn't have the mileage on his pitching arm that Shields or Price or other front-of-the-rotation starters have.

Thanks for the numbers. If Samardzija continues to pitch well for the remainder of 2015, I think Samardzija could use Shields 21M per year as a starting point. Samardzija will get a little help after Price/Cueto sign and raise the cost on starting pitching which would be a smart move by Samardzija.

I just cannot see the Sox spending big money on one pitcher when the team has other holes to fill.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 03:17 AM)

So about a month or so after signing Shields to that ridiculous contract, the Pods want to get rid of him. Baseball is the best/worst sport, run by idiots. Shortly after signing Shark this offseason, the team that does it will be trying to get rid of him, certainly by midseason. Where is the common sense??? NOBODY is worth this kind of money. Verlander?? LOL, nuff said.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:11 AM)
So about a month or so after signing Shields to that ridiculous contract, the Pods want to get rid of him. Baseball is the best/worst sport, run by idiots. Shortly after signing Shark this offseason, the team that does it will be trying to get rid of him, certainly by midseason. Where is the common sense??? NOBODY is worth this kind of money. Verlander?? LOL, nuff said.

The Padres appear to be doing to Shields the same thing the Marlins did to Buehrle. Buehrle was traded in his first season under his new contract before his contract escalated and now Shields is on the trade block. I can see why players try and get No Trades in their contracts. Shields was due to regress and I'm so glad the SOX did not go after him last off season.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:18 AM)
I think Samardzija gets something like 5 years $105 million.

I would not be in the least bit surprised. That contract for a pitcher that turns 31 this winter does not sound like a smart investment and especially for a team with other holes to fill. The idea would make more sense if not for Danks salary which does not come off the books until after the 2016 season is over.

Contender or not, I still hope the Sox trade Samardzija. Would prefer to trade Danks but, yeah....

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 10:27 PM)

While I understand the mathematics, the reality of $7 million per WAR doesn't exist. If $7 million per WAR is the going rate, and WAR is a counting stat, maybe the John Danks complainers should stop complaining. He is on a pace to be a $10,678,000 a year pitcher.

Edited by Dick Allen

This four game sweep was the worst thing that could have happen for our long term future. I hope FO doesn't start believing in this team like I did after seeing great pitching( which is norm for us), stellar defense (not use to seeing around here) and some timely hitting ( also not use to seeing). I want this team to take CUBS approach and suck for few year and stock pile our minor league roster.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
The Padres appear to be doing to Shields the same thing the Marlins did to Buehrle. Buehrle was traded in his first season under his new contract before his contract escalated and now Shields is on the trade block. I can see why players try and get No Trades in their contracts. Shields was due to regress and I'm so glad the SOX did not go after him last off season.

I would not be in the least bit surprised. That contract for a pitcher that turns 31 this winter does not sound like a smart investment and especially for a team with other holes to fill. The idea would make more sense if not for Danks salary which does not come off the books until after the 2016 season is over.

Contender or not, I still hope the Sox trade Samardzija. Would prefer to trade Danks but, yeah....

And just like Buehrle, it's a majorly back loaded contract. Shields only gets $10 mil this season, but that jumps to $21 million per year for 2016-2018. That should limit their trade market unless they throw in major cash. He's also from the SD area, which is a double nut punch if they do trade him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
And just like Buehrle, it's a majorly back loaded contract. Shields only gets $10 mil this season, but that jumps to $21 million per year for 2016-2018. That should limit their trade market unless they throw in major cash. He's also from the SD area, which is a double nut punch if they do trade him.

So basically, nobody's gonna want Shields 2016-2018... interesting.