Frankie Montas to join Sox for Double Header Friday

bmags

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
I think you're reading too much into this. Guerra was called up and basically rotted in the bullpen for a few weeks, Beck had one spot start when Erik wasn't available (would've had to pitch on two days rest), & Montas is getting the call once again when Erik isn't an option. IMO, Johnson is clearly the guy pegged for a rotation spot. They've been monitoring his innings very closely as of late, even skipping a recent start. IMO, that tells me they're expecting/hoping the guy will be needed in the majors in the very near future.

Johnson was involved in the AAA ASG. If they wanted him here, he would be here. Pitching against the team they are chasing in the division, they are looking to bring up the guys that give them the best chance to win a game, and are not worried about a AAA scrimmage game.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
I think you're reading too much into this. Guerra was called up and basically rotted in the bullpen for a few weeks, Beck had one spot start when Erik wasn't available (would've had to pitch on two days rest), & Montas is getting the call once again when Erik isn't an option. IMO, Johnson is clearly the guy pegged for a rotation spot. They've been monitoring his innings very closely as of late, even skipping a recent start. IMO, that tells me they're expecting/hoping the guy will be needed in the majors in the very near future.

This is how I've read it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 8m8 minutes ago Chicago, IL

For those asking about rotation: Samardzija and Danks tomorrow (in that order), Quintana Saturday. No confirmation for Sunday yet.

There is no way Sale doesn't go Sunday.

If the Sox potentially see him as a reliever long-term, maybe other teams do too. What if the Sox were showcasing him to package him with Samardzija to a team that needs a starter and another reliever? That would certainly have to interest Houston and Toronto into giving something real up.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
If the Sox potentially see him as a reliever long-term, maybe other teams do too. What if the Sox were showcasing him to package him with Samardzija to a team that needs a starter and another reliever? That would certainly have to interest Houston and Toronto into giving something real up.

If I'm trading with the White Sox and I"m in competition, I would very, very much prefer to trade for Putnam or Petricka rather than Montas. Or if you're that desperate for a closer, Robertson. Get someone who is at least partially proven. Why would a team in contention trading for Samardzija want to break in a rookie over the last 2 months of the season? I mean, it worked for Jenks but seriously? And the White Sox, if they're trading people away, would be silly to trade away guys they control for 6.5 years. What are they going to get back that makes them younger and more long-term set up than a guy they already control?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)
If I'm trading with the White Sox and I"m in competition, I would very, very much prefer to trade for Putnam or Petricka rather than Montas. Or if you're that desperate for a closer, Robertson. Get someone who is at least partially proven. Why would a team in contention trading for Samardzija want to break in a rookie over the last 2 months of the season? I mean, it worked for Jenks but seriously? And the White Sox, if they're trading people away, would be silly to trade away guys they control for 6.5 years. What are they going to get back that makes them younger and more long-term set up than a guy they already control?

I don't think he is being showcased either. But you can look at it another way. A team in contention may be reluctant to give up a top prospect( 1-3 in their system) for a 2 month rental. But trading a top prospect for a 2 month rental plus a young pitcher a couple years away may be more palatable.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)

A couple of appearances won't prove anything one way or the other. Sox have plenty of effective relievers to trade. He's a top 100 prospect- not the guy to trade.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)
I don't think he is being showcased either. But you can look at it another way. A team in contention may be reluctant to give up a top prospect( 1-3 in their system) for a 2 month rental. But trading a top prospect for a 2 month rental plus a young pitcher a couple years away may be more palatable.

If I'm sending out Shark and Montas I want a Top 10 prospect. No point in trading a comp + Montas for just any org's 1-3

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
Another theory.

They're trying out Montas on MLB pitching to see how he holds his own. If he does well, they'll try him out in the closer role and move Robertson to a contender before the deadline.

interesting.

but after thinking about it, while it is a great idea, i would be hesitant to pull it off. Robertson is an established cl with a track record. Montas will be rookie.

then again, how do the sox fill those holes that they are missing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
interesting.

but after thinking about it, while it is a great idea, i would be hesitant to pull it off. Robertson is an established cl with a track record. Montas will be rookie.

then again, how do the sox fill those holes that they are missing.

The team is not contending and doesn't need to pay a vet to close. To quote Tyler Perry, "I can do bad all by myself."

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
The team is not contending and doesn't need to pay a vet to close. To quote Tyler Perry, "I can do bad all by myself."

don't get me wrong on that, i can see the reasons. but Robertson has proven himself and there is always going to be next yr.

any way, that logic i bolded can be held for any play on the sox.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:30 PM)
If I'm sending out Shark and Montas I want a Top 10 prospect. No point in trading a comp + Montas for just any org's 1-3

I would actually spread it to top 20 if it was a C-SS-CF.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
Another theory.

They're trying out Montas on MLB pitching to see how he holds his own. If he does well, they'll try him out in the closer role and move Robertson to a contender before the deadline.

That would be huge. I'm open to trading Robertson to shed the salary.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
Hahn on the Score at 835am tomorrow. I'm sure he'll talk a little Montas and other stuff.

No Montas talk, but they did manage to keep the Kenny/Rick "Who's in charge" topic going...boring.

Also Hahn doesn't know teams play 19 games against teams in the division, which scares me a little.

You didn't miss anything.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 07:05 AM)
That would be huge. I'm open to trading Robertson to shed the salary.

Disagree. Robertson still a good closer, even though he cost Sale a win. If he goes, how many wins will the new guy cost? I don't want to read about it.

If I am reading this correctly, that means another move it still to come, plus another for the 26th man. Stay tuned.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 1m1 minute ago Chicago, IL

White Sox have recalled right-handed pitcher @frankmontas from @BhamBarons. Montas will be active for both games. Montas will wear No. 60.

I believe the rule is (and I could be wrong)...

If the rescheduled doubleheader is the day after the rainout, the 26th man is only eligible for the 2nd game because travel may play a factor for one team and not the other.

If the rescheduled doubleheader is far in the future (like today), the 26th man is eligible both games.

So I think Montas is the 26th man, eligible for both games, and he'll be returned to Birmingham after tonight.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
Another theory.

No one will take on Robertson's contract unless the Sox pick up most up the money. That's not worth it.

The Sox should keep him for now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
If I am reading this correctly, that means another move it still to come, plus another for the 26th man. Stay tuned.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 1m1 minute ago Chicago, IL

White Sox have recalled right-handed pitcher @frankmontas from @BhamBarons. Montas will be active for both games. Montas will wear No. 60.

How do you read that as two moves still to come? Isn't the 26th man always active for both games? What about that tweet makes you think Montas isn't the 26th man (in addition to another move)?