Chris Tannehill/Score trying to make Harrelson look bad...?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
To me it's not a question of 'love' or 'hate' Hawk. It's the realization that he's 73 and simply not the same broadcaster that he was 20 years ago. Plus for right or wrong, he's a symbol of the ever unchanging Sox organization that has grown stale and set in their ways as far as how to run a baseball opearation.

New blood is needed on the baseball side of things and that includes the broadcasting booths in my opinion.

Mark

The symbol part for sure is dead on. He is so bad at scouting position players you can't help but wonder if it's a bunch of Hawks out there drafting players. All the "he's the best since", "he reminds me of...", "he looks like x baseball player.". It's like that scene in Moneyball where the A's scouting staff is just horrible. That's Hawk every day.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 10:59 PM)
Sometimes a good thing can last too long.

Hawk doesn't believe in advanced metrics, he says things that are blatantly wrong ("Those days when you raise your own players in the minors are over"...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?), he does not relate to younger fans (for example, no one under 40 knows half his references).

It's not hard. WAR is important, not everyone is the next Yaz, Trayce Thompson is not a 30 HR hitter, and he's an absolute bore.

On days when Stony is out, the White Sox broadcast is unlistenable to anyone who isn't a simpleton.

Honestly, all of this is just flat out wrong. Hawk actually has referenced war a few times. He does not turn a blind eye to advanced metrics contrary to popular belief. His highly publisized beef vs MLBN, he certainly took a black eye, but he came out better for it. His references are found often across every kind of baseball media. To pretend his references don't exist to those under 40 is a joke. You can't go a week without watching sport center without seeing one. Every deadspin baseball comment section mentions him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
Hawk is the Wink Martindale homer. You're bass ackwards.

By Martindale, I meant the fake announcers voice. Most teams have a Steve Physioc who ENUNCIATES and talks like nobody in America actually talks. "Fans ... it's runners on first and third and nobody out."

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 08:44 PM)
You do realize that Hawk is THE homer in baseball.

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it but he is the biggest homer ever.

It's the definition of homer. Hawk CRITICIZES the team he works for. He did it again tonight. Why can't you guys admit NOBODY else in baseball does that??? He bites the hand that feeds him and it's GREAT. The Royals announcers like most mock the opposing team as part of their biting commentary. The Royals can NEVER do any wrong and it's sickening. Hawk is different!

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 04:59 AM)

Hawk doesn't believe in advanced metrics, he says things that are blatantly wrong ("Those days when you raise your own players in the minors are over"...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?), he does not relate to younger fans (for example, no one under 40 knows half his references).

It's not hard. WAR is important, not everyone is the next Yaz, Trayce Thompson is not a 30 HR hitter, and he's an absolute bore.

On days when Stony is out, the White Sox broadcast is unlistenable to anyone who isn't a simpleton.

Hawk actually does know baseball. Cmon. As far as advanced metrics, how come the producers don't even put OBP on the screen in most broadcasts? It's still BA, HR, RBI for hitters and WL, pitch count and ERA for pitchers.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 05:23 AM)
Honestly, all of this is just flat out wrong. Hawk actually has referenced war a few times. He does not turn a blind eye to advanced metrics contrary to popular belief. His highly publisized beef vs MLBN, he certainly took a black eye, but he came out better for it. His references are found often across every kind of baseball media. To pretend his references don't exist to those under 40 is a joke. You can't go a week without watching sport center without seeing one. Every deadspin baseball comment section mentions him.

AMEN! I hate the fact some Sox fans criticize this legend.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
The symbol part for sure is dead on. He is so bad at scouting position players you can't help but wonder if it's a bunch of Hawks out there drafting players. All the "he's the best since", "he reminds me of...", "he looks like x baseball player.". It's like that scene in Moneyball where the A's scouting staff is just horrible. That's Hawk every day.

Except Grady Fuson was actually very capable as a scouting director and had a number of noted successes.

There was skepticism, and rightly so, about the computer geeks/quants taking over and these kids who'd never played past Little League lecturing scouting departments with hundreds of years of combined experience.

If you think the narrative is that simple (more than a decade later), then read Big Data Baseball or all the articles written about the Scioscia/DiPoto power struggle in Anaheim.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/billy-beane-...DFfMQRzZWMDc2M-

With all of the teams looking at war, speed/defense and bullpen construction...the art of walking for hitters and not walking batters if you're a pitcher has turned into the new statistical battleground, with the premium on power hitters replacing the focus on starting pitching.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
It's the definition of homer. Hawk CRITICIZES the team he works for. He did it again tonight. Why can't you guys admit NOBODY else in baseball does that??? He bites the hand that feeds him and it's GREAT. The Royals announcers like most mock the opposing team as part of their biting commentary. The Royals can NEVER do any wrong and it's sickening. Hawk is different!

Well for starters, DJ does it way more than Hawk. That's just in town.

The Royals also have the second worse broadcaster in baseball, Rex Hudler.

(The worst is Tim McCarver)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 05:43 AM)
Well for starters, DJ does it way more than Hawk. That's just in town.

The Royals also have the second worse broadcaster in baseball, Rex Hudler.

(The worst is Tim McCarver)

DJ better watch it. If anybody notices he could get the boot. It doesn't work except for announcers that are legends. Harry Caray had a Sox sidekick fired once cause he and the guy spent a rain delay trashing the team. They didn't blame Harry; they canned the sidekick after the season. Kudos to DJ but DJs are a dime a dozen. If the team gets mad he'll be shown the door.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)
DJ better watch it. If anybody notices he could get the boot. It doesn't work except for announcers that are legends. Harry Caray had a Sox sidekick fired once cause he and the guy spent a rain delay trashing the team. They didn't blame Harry; they canned the sidekick after the season. Kudos to DJ but DJs are a dime a dozen. If the team gets mad he'll be shown the door.

:lol:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 12:37 AM)
By Martindale, I meant the fake announcers voice. Most teams have a Steve Physioc who ENUNCIATES and talks like nobody in America actually talks. "Fans ... it's runners on first and third and nobody out."

Hawk actually does know baseball. Cmon. As far as advanced metrics, how come the producers don't even put OBP on the screen in most broadcasts? It's still BA, HR, RBI for hitters and WL, pitch count and ERA for pitchers.

AMEN! I hate the fact some Sox fans criticize this legend.

A. Bull!

B. Legend?, he's an embarrassment. You love his catch phrases? They are just crutches.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)

Maybe DJ already knows. His contract like Stone's is up after this season.

And if you're referring to Bob Waller that's incorrect. Waller was fired because of his pre game show with Chuck Tanner on the last day of the 1974 season. Chuck (God rest his soul) was talking about all the positive things the Sox did and Waller simply got tired of the spin and asked him why weren't they winning then?

Tanner got so mad he walked off the field in the middle of the live pregame show. Waller spent the rest of the time asking questions and giving "truthful" answers to them. Ownership was not amused.

The only partner Harry had (and he was a mentor to me) that he didn't like and made no bones about it was J.C. Martin. Harry felt he had no business being in a broadcast booth. I know J.C. have interviewed him, an extremely nice guy but Harry was right. J.C. was brutal.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)

And if you're referring to Bob Waller that's incorrect. Waller was fired because of his pre game show with Chuck Tanner on the last day of the 1974 season. Chuck (God rest his soul) was talking about all the positive things the Sox did and Waller simply got tired of the spin and asked him why weren't they winning then?

Tanner got so mad he walked off the field in the middle of the live pregame show. Waller spent the rest of the time asking questions and giving "truthful" answers to them. Ownership was not amused.

The only partner Harry had (and he was a mentor to me) that he didn't like and made no bones about it was J.C. Martin. Harry felt he had no business being in a broadcast booth. I know J.C. have interviewed him, an extremely nice guy but Harry was right. J.C. was brutal.

Mark

Is he referring to Jimmy Piersall?

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)

That's rather harsh. Outside of Brian Kenney ,who really is pushing advanced metrics in major league broadcasts besides WAR and WHIP ?

I consider myself a student of the game but not a mathematician . Yes I am above 40 but 1st and foremost he promotes the product as most home telecasts do. When he is upset as a Sox fan I think most of us are also. When he is excited for the team so are we. He can't or shouldn't be overly critical of the team like us .

Baseball has been around for many many years and has a long rich history. Only dealing with the recent history is also a disservice to the game. Do simpletons enjoy baseball history ? Maybe it's because I'm older I like him . He's like a colorful uncle who might tell you war stories or wild events from his past. Those unwilling to listen and learn are the bored simpletons who cannot look beyond their nose to relieve their boredom.

You guys also have to remember one other thing. ... With the Cubs apparently going to be strong now for years to come it's going to be easy for the Sox to completely drop off the map. It's good to have a colorful announcer like Harrelson. Good to have a colorful manager as well but we already went that route with Ozzie. Sox are in danger of dropping totally into irrelevance with the Cubs rebuild complete. Hawk/Stoney forever!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 01:34 AM)
Having Hawk hurts the brand more than it helps.

Who is going to want to watch losing baseball on TV with an old fool on the mic.

the cubs made hand over fist money with that exact same formula. harry on tv, and ron santo on the radio!

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
I have noticed that on their twitter account, they post updates on the Cubs games as they progress, but don't bother tweeting about during Sox games. I've wondered if that are being whiny about losing the Sox broadcasts and are choosing to ignore them more.

well, they are GETTING the cubs next year. sox are simply a contractual obligation.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)

Mark

I'd see if they could take Dave Wills from Tampa Bay. Give him the radio booth with DJ and fire Farmer.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 04:39 AM)
you should see vin scully get excited about the dodgers. he's the consummnate pro, but he is a homer.

I think announcers should be homers.

But Hawk is the biggest one in baseball, possibly sports. To say he's not a homer is asinine.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
I'd see if they could take Dave Wills from Tampa Bay. Give him the radio booth with DJ and fire Farmer.

Never say never but I know Dave well and I'd think that ship has sailed. Sox had their chance but JR would never say 'yes.'

Mark

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 07:12 AM)
The White Sox will never be the Cubs.

And a large reason for that is because of self inflicted wounds. There were also some areas where they had no control over that worked against them. But they had their chances in the past 35 years and completely fumbled them.

Also keep in mind the Sox owned Chicago during the Golden Age 51-67, outdrawing the Cubs in 16 of those 17 years sometimes by a wide margin. Things changed dramatically when the Tribune company bought them three months after the Sox were sold to JR and EE.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1