Chris Tannehill/Score trying to make Harrelson look bad...?

caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
Hawk actually does know baseball. Cmon. As far as advanced metrics, how come the producers don't even put OBP on the screen in most broadcasts? It's still BA, HR, RBI for hitters and WL, pitch count and ERA for pitchers.

Have you not watched a game on CSN this year? Every AB features the full AVG/OBP/SLG slash line.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
Never say never but I know Dave well and I'd think that ship has sailed. Sox had their chance but JR would never say 'yes.'

Mark

That's a shame. He's a die hard Sox fan and was an exception pre/post host. I listen to him everyone in awhile when the Rays are on.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
And a large reason for that is because of self inflicted wounds. There were also some areas where they had no control over that worked against them. But they had their chances in the past 35 years and completely fumbled them.

Also keep in mind the Sox owned Chicago during the Golden Age 51-67, outdrawing the Cubs in 16 of those 17 years sometimes by a wide margin. Things changed dramatically when the Tribune company bought them three months after the Sox were sold to JR and EE.

Mark

1984 happened. The first 4 years of JR ownership the Sox out drew the Cubs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
1984 happened. The first 4 years of JR ownership the Sox out drew the Cubs.

"1984 happened" and sent the Cubs on their way to national stardom and they've never looked back. And by "happened" we are talking about a "winning" (hey, there's THAT word again!) team that was televised coast-to-coast on WGN with Harry Caray leading the way. That combination of Caray and WGN with a winning baseball product was unbelievably potent, and the popularity that ensued was immeasurable. And today, the Cubs are still reaping the benefits 18 years after Caray's death.

The problem for the Sox organization and for our fans is that it could have been us having that same experience and impact the year before in 1983, when WE had the exciting baseball product. And WE got there first in terms of there had not been a winner of any sort in the city prior to '83 for many years. But instead of pumping that '83 team into 22 million homes at that time 50, 60 times of year with Caray behind the mic, creating the aura of excitement all around the city and even the country for the Sox like he did for the Cubs, Geniuses Reinsdorf & Einhorn went the route of pay subscription TV, and only 15,000 homes got to see that team that year. You talk about a crying shame! Virtually kept a secret, you might say, except for the 32 games they benevolently bestowed upon us on Channel 32 that year.

Reinsdorf and Einhorn inherited both Caray and WGN from Bill Veeck, and as a sign of things to come, the first in a series of bungling decisions that would go onto define this failing ownership, the first thing they did was to get rid of both. And they, Jerry & Eddie, supposedly two great businessmen, or so we were told - HA! You could have fooled me.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
"1984 happened" and sent the Cubs on their way to national stardom and they've never looked back. And by "happened" we are talking about a "winning" (hey, there's THAT word again!) team that was televised coast-to-coast on WGN with Harry Caray leading the way. That combination of Caray and WGN with a winning baseball product was unbelievably potent, and the popularity that ensued was immeasurable. And today, the Cubs are still reaping the benefits 18 years after Caray's death.

The problem for the Sox organization and for our fans is that it could have been us having that same experience and impact the year before in 1983, when WE had the exciting baseball product. And WE got there first in terms of there had not been a winner of any sort in the city prior to '83 for many years. But instead of pumping that '83 team into 22 million homes at that time 50, 60 times of year with Caray behind the mic, creating the aura of excitement all around the city and even the country for the Sox like he did for the Cubs, Geniuses Reinsdorf & Einhorn went the route of pay subscription TV, and only 15,000 homes got to see that team that year. You talk about a crying shame! Virtually kept a secret, you might say, except for the 32 games they benevolently bestowed upon us on Channel 32 that year.

Reinsdorf and Einhorn inherited both Caray and WGN from Bill Veeck, and as a sign of things to come, you might say, the first in a series of bungling decisions that would go onto define this failing ownership, the first thing they did was to get rid of both. And they, Jerry & Eddie, supposedly two great businessmen, or so we were told - HA! You could have fooled me!!

we all went thru this discussion of the owners ineptness at running the white sox org of baseball. many. many too much times that the sox owners screw up.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 04:49 AM)
A. Bull!

B. Legend?, he's an embarrassment. You love his catch phrases? They are just crutches.

He's not a legend? He's legendary.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
I think announcers should be homers.

But Hawk is the biggest one in baseball, possibly sports. To say he's not a homer is asinine.

Hawk criticizes the White Sox a lot. That means he is not a homer as much as all the other announcers in baseball who are apologists/homers.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
Would take hawk all day over dorkiest man on the planet in len kasper.

Len Kasper talks about baseball and understands the game. Hawk blatantly makes things up, ignores statistics, and puts everyone to sleep with references about nobodies from the 70s.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)

Reinsdorf and Einhorn inherited both Caray and WGN from Bill Veeck, and as a sign of things to come, the first in a series of bungling decisions that would go onto define this failing ownership, the first thing they did was to get rid of both. And they, Jerry & Eddie, supposedly two great businessmen, or so we were told - HA! You could have fooled me.

It was actually 20 thousand on SportsVision to be more accurate but your point is well taken.

Also something that isn't well known is that the Sox offered Caray more to stay for 1982 than he was paid by the Cubs but he left directly because of SportsVision.

Remember SportsVision?

Well it just so happens I've sent to Daniel a long article on the history of SportsVision, the reasoning behind it, what went wrong and recollections from one of its first anchors.

I'm sure he'll publish it when the time is right but I think those who lived through that era will enjoy reading it.

It was a brilliant idea but it was ahead of its time.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
It was actually 20 thousand on SportsVision to be more accurate but your point is well taken.

Also something that isn't well known is that the Sox offered Caray more to stay for 1982 than he was paid by the Cubs but he left directly because of SportsVision.

Remember SportsVision?

Well it just so happens I've sent to Daniel a long article on the history of SportsVision, the reasoning behind it, what went wrong and recollections from one of its first anchors.

I'm sure he'll publish it when the time is right but I think those who lived through that era will enjoy reading it.

Mark

I was young, but I remember we had some kind of little box that we had to turn on to watch Sox games.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:01 PM)

Remember SportsVision?

Mark

again, for me, the sox ruined it themselves, they could have taken over or at least equal the popularity of the northside. but that was ruined due to bad ideas and a complete mismanagement is a very important block of yrs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
He's not a legend? He's legendary.

Legend

a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

I guess maybe you could say he's legendary. His "legend" only grows because he's openly mocked by fans of 29 1/2 teams. Regarding ESPN people using his catchprases, it's called sarcasm.

• 2 weeks later...

Don Orsillo the TV announcer is leaving the Red Sox job after this season. Is he leaving to come to Chicago to be the White Sox TV announcer in 2016? On the White Sox last road trip to KC, I was told the Royals announcers were saying that this is the last year for the Hawk with the White Sox. I don't know anything about Don Orsillo.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
I've heard rumour (not from a great source, but he does work in tv for the red Sox) that the Sox offered Orsillo the job for next year yesturday. So if what the royals chaps said is true, we may hear something soon.

The White Sox offered the Red Sox announcer a job for 2016?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
Don Orsillo the TV announcer is leaving the Red Sox job after this season. Is he leaving to come to Chicago to be the White Sox TV announcer in 2016? On the White Sox last road trip to KC, I was told the Royals announcers were saying that this is the last year for the Hawk with the White Sox. I don't know anything about Don Orsillo.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
I've heard rumour (not from a great source, but he does work in tv for the red Sox) that the Sox offered Orsillo the job for next year yesturday. So if what the royals chaps said is true, we may hear something soon.

Please don't get our hopes up like that!