White Sox claim Jacob Turner from Cubs

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
Would love to make him a reliever, and hopefully that is the plan. He had a great fastball and curve, which is all you need to be a reliever. Maybe he could be our Wade Davis, a former top prospect who stunk as a starter and found his groove in the pen.

This. This right here.

There's no reason why he can't be an elite reliever unless his arm is totally shot to hell.

I see no reason to complain and sounds like possible ST competition for Johnson. I found this blurb written about Turner from 2013.

"Turner is a 6-5, 210 pound right-handed hitter and thrower, born May 21, 1991. Turner can hit 95 MPH but usually works at 90-93, using a two-seamer to generate sinking action and ground balls rather than pure velocity. He mixes in a curveball and changeup, both rated highly-positively by scouts, and he's added a cutter this spring. With a four-pitch arsenal and a good feel for his craft, he has the upside of a number two starter. His velocity has returned to normal over the last six weeks and the Tigers are pleased with the progress of his secondary pitches."

Turner could be an interesting pickup if he stays healthy.

If we really think about it, the Sox do not have enough SP depth and could use any potential help. As of now the Sox are looking at a '15 rotation of Sale, Q, Rodon, Johnson and Danks. After Danks the Sox have Beck and Drabek as their next best starting options, yikes! Montas and Fulmer need more time in the minors and the rest of the Sox pitching depth is at AA and below.

Turner gives the Sox another option at starter in case of injury or if Johnson struggles.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
Nobody's complaining, but I find it kind of surprising someone with his lack of success and injury history would be worthy of a spot on the 40-man roster.

He's not guaranteed a spot. They claimed him not having 40 guys and guys will be free agents in a few weeks. Depending on what moves we make, he can be dfa'd again.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
Great pick up. Low risk, high reward.

Roster at 39 now?

The roster is at 38. Albers, Samardzija, Soto, and Beckham going to free agency will bring it to 34 and outfighting someone like Carroll could bring it to 33. How many guys need protecting for Rule 5?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
The roster is at 38. Albers, Samardzija, Soto, and Beckham going to free agency will bring it to 34 and outfighting someone like Carroll could bring it to 33. How many guys need protecting for Rule 5?

Thank you. I could see Kevan Smith and possibly Davidson DFA'd as well.

With a pitching coach like Cooper around, it's a good idea to grab a handful of reclamation arms each offseason. This is a good one.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
Thank you. I could see Kevan Smith and possibly Davidson DFA'd as well.

Davidson, sure. Smith I think they may still protect - you have to remember how thin the majors are on catching talent. Not just the Sox. And if Smith goes, barring an offseason upgrade at the position (which may happen), your next best bets currently in the org are Nieto (who did poorly in AA) and org guy Jeremy Dowdy who hasn't been a starter most of his pro career. That's frighteningly little depth at the position.

There are lower level catchers who may turn into something later, but only Smith and Nieto could maybe, possibly, step in and not be a complete disaster at this point.