White Sox hire Rick Renteria and Greg Sparks

Dunt

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
here is my question, i do not know nothing of Renteria. but is he really a good coach???

does anyone think he is a mentor for RV while on the bench to teach him the finer points of the game??

can he be the next manager after RV??

RV has more experience than Renteria as being a manager. Renteria is not there to be his mentor. Maybe he is there as waiting in the wings like Sandy Alomar suggested with his decline of the position but certainly not to mentor the manager.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know we are talking about for this discussion.

but if a manager gets fires during a season, doesn't it usually go to a coach for the interim base.

If a manager is fired mid-season, then yeah, a coach gets the job on an interim basis, but probably not permanently. If the manager is bad enough to fire mid-season, then you probably are pretty dissatisfied with the coaching staff as a whole and not just the manager.

Besides, the Sox aren't the kind of organization that is going to fire a manager mid-season unless it's some kind of conduct issue.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
If a manager is fired mid-season, then yeah, a coach gets the job on an interim basis, but probably not permanently. If the manager is bad enough to fire mid-season, then you probably are pretty dissatisfied with the coaching staff as a whole and not just the manager.

Besides, the Sox aren't the kind of organization that is going to fire a manager mid-season unless it's some kind of conduct issue.

Typically, no. But the fact they were looking at the candidates they were looking at tells me that they are thinking in a contingency plan kind of way, and not just finding a bench coach.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)

you make an excellent point

many thanks.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
RV has more experience than Renteria as being a manager. Renteria is not there to be his mentor. Maybe he is there as waiting in the wings like Sandy Alomar suggested with his decline of the position but certainly not to mentor the manager.

this was what i was looking for. i just don't know crap on Renteria and i was lost.

excellent point on the sandy alomar comment. i agree.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)

That's why I think that this is a pretty savvy pick. It's not like he has a resume that dwarfs Ventura's. I think he did a good job with the Cubs and is a much better manager than Ventura, but Ventura shouldn't feel a long shadow above him with Renteria

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 11:51 PM)
That's why I think that this is a pretty savvy pick. It's not like he has a resume that dwarfs Ventura's. I think he did a good job with the Cubs and is a much better manager than Ventura, but Ventura shouldn't feel a long shadow above him with Renteria

never thought of it that way.

i like the thinking. you are right.

He actually did a decent job with the Cubs in his one year. If I remember they played above .500 in the 2nd half of 2014 and that was after unloading Shark, Hammel and a few others. It was also pre-Bryant, Schwarber, Russell.

He's a good choice as a bench coach and is more than capable of stepping in if the Sox let Ventura go.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:54 PM)
Typically, no. But the fact they were looking at the candidates they were looking at tells me that they are thinking in a contingency plan kind of way, and not just finding a bench coach.

There is no way they are doing this as a back door plan to replace Robin Ventura. The front offie has too much respect for Robin. Now Ventura may have said he will only go another year and resign if it's a losing season. But, you don't pick a potential manager that way. I think folks are reading too much into this move.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
There is no way they are doing this as a back door plan to replace Robin Ventura. The front offie has too much respect for Robin. Now Ventura may have said he will only go another year and resign if it's a losing season. But, you don't pick a potential manager that way. I think folks are reading too much into this move.

Sandy Alomar said he didnt want to take the job because he didnt want to be a distraction and disrespectful to RV knowing that people will say he was the eventual replacement. I believe they do respect RV but I they know this is a business and you have to produce results so they are going to be proactive.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
Hopefully he can become the full time manager when Robin gets canned at the All Star Break next year.

Well by "hoping" for that you are also hoping the Sox have played poorly enough by the All Star break to warrant Robin getting canned. I hope he is named "Manager of the Year" for 2016 because he's led the team to places we haven't been in a long, long time. Achieving those goals trumps any desire for Ventura to get fired by a long shot!!