Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

Not in the least bit concerned with the tigers going after one of Cespedes/Upton/Gordon and its likely if they are in talks its to help drive the price up on the Sox. I think it's more likely the Tigers are looking at the 2Nd tier of outfield free agents like Parra, Fowler, Jackson and Span, if they are even seriously in the market for an outfielder.

As for Davis. He's a 1B/DH and has nothing to do with FA outfielders not signing. There are more outfielders available through the FA and trade markets than there are teams looking for outfielders which is why its such a buyers market. Plus, the big spenders like NYY, Boston, Dodgers and cubs are out of the picture. This is why the free agents are slow to sign and interested teams are offering lower than the free agent's expectations. It's a buyers market for outfielders.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Not in the least bit concerned with the tigers going after one of Cespedes/Upton/Gordon and its likely if they are in talks its to help drive the price up on the Sox. I think it's more likely the Tigers are looking at the 2Nd tier of outfield free agents like Parra, Fowler, Jackson and Span, if they are even seriously in the market for an outfielder.

As for Davis. He's a 1B/DH and has nothing to do with FA outfielders not signing. There are more outfielders available through the FA and trade markets than there are teams looking for outfielders which is why its such a buyers market. Plus, the big spenders like NYY, Boston, Dodgers and cubs are out of the picture. This is why the free agents are slow to sign and interested teams are offering lower than the free agent's expectations. It's a buyers market for outfielders.

Sure it does. The team that signs him most likely will not sign another big FA deal and takes away a competitor for their services. Thus drives the market down.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
He does have time in the outfield as late as last season (30 games in right).

Davis is knocked for his poor base running and defense at 1B so is he really an outfield option?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
Sure it does. The team that signs him most likely will not sign another big FA deal and takes away a competitor for their services. Thus drives the market down.

But the team that signs Davis was not really in the market for an outfielder in the first place considering Davis is a 1B/DH which correlates with my response above.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Davis is knocked for his poor base running and defense at 1B so is he really an outfield option?

But the team that signs Davis was not really in the market for an outfielder in the first place considering Davis is a 1B/DH which correlates with my response above.

But if Baltimore signs Davis, then they're likely out of the running for the Big 3, and they're one of the few teams that seem to actually have the money available to offer a big contract to them.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
But if Baltimore signs Davis, then they're likely out of the running for the Big 3, and they're one of the few teams that seem to actually have the money available to offer a big contract to them.

Good call, somehow I forgot about the Orioles since they seem somewhat fixated on Davis and have been linked more to 2nd tier free agent outfielders. If they decide to move on from Davis they likely do sign one of Upton/Cespedes/Gordon.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
How long is Adam Jones signed for? If I was an O's fan I wouldn't want money tied into someone like Davis and would rather re-sign Jones when the time comes.

Jones is signed through the '18 season.

2016 30 Baltimore Orioles $16,333,333 8.139

2017 31 Baltimore Orioles $16,333,333

2018 32 Baltimore Orioles $17,333,333

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)

Depends. They may have a current 1B that can move to a corner OF. It's more about the money than the position. RF and 1B aren't always interchangeable but they may be.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Jones is signed through the '18 season.

2016 30 Baltimore Orioles $16,333,333 8.139

2017 31 Baltimore Orioles $16,333,333

2018 32 Baltimore Orioles $17,333,333

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

Ah 32 year old free agent. Just like McCutchen who I believe is in that same class. That class is loaded.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Depends. They may have a current 1B that can move to a corner OF. It's more about the money than the position. RF and 1B aren't always interchangeable but they may be.

I see what you're saying but I guess I just don't see Davis as a realistic option for RF especially having poor defense with a weak arm. Guess I should be hoping Baltimore does sign Davis, huh. :)

Honestly I don't see why Baltimore is wasting their time on Davis although they have pulled their offer. Leads me to think they absolutely end up with one of the big three. I think Boras and Davis made a huge mistake in rejecting that 7/150M+ offer. If I was Baltimore, I'd take that money and sign Alvarez along with one of the big three. Maybe that's their plan?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Ah 32 year old free agent. Just like McCutchen who I believe is in that same class. That class is loaded.

Yep, as long as McCutchen's '18 option is picked up he will be there with Jones. The winter of 18/'19 is going to be soooo interesting to follow.

Edited by BlackSox13

The Orioles have already added Kim and Trumbo. They also have Flaherty as 1b/DH/RF option.

They could go Reimold, Jones, Trumbo/Flaherty, but they are like the White Sox...desperately in need of a better defender in right.

Unless they believe Kim is a legit starter at a corner or DH, they're going to need one more bat to survive in that division.

As to Omar's point, sure...2018 might not develop as expected in terms of FAs.

That said, agents like Kazmir's have to calculate their client's age and make some projections about what the future markets will look like using all of the info available...and that next year's is a terrible one from the talent acquisition standpoint and post 2017 is just fair/decent.

Edited by caulfield12