Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
In his last 3 full seasons with the Cubs, during his age 34-36 seasons, Soriano put up WARs of 2.7, 1.1, and 3.5. If Cespedes did the same for the last 3 years of his deal I think we'd all take it.

also everyone wanted him to be DH those last couple years and the Cubs had to keep throwing him out into left. At least if Cespedes skills erode that bad, they can DH him

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
The part you're missing is front-loading a contract hurts your financial flexibility now. I'm sure most teams would love to see annual salaries in contracts decrease over time along with expected production, but the desire to win now (usually why you're adding a big FA) typically prevents that.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand the desire for added financial flexibility in the short run. However, the motive here is to pay the player for his prime, while continuing to keep him motivated to produce. Then, to encourage him to opt out, in those later years, when the probability is much less that he would be productive enough to justify the big salary.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
How crazy would it be if Hahn found some way to sign both Gordon and Cespedes? That would be so awesome.

It would be crazy. But I'm surprised the Sox are even willing to give out 1 of these big contracts. 2 seems pretty much impossible.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
Yoenis Cespedes market taking shape. Source: CWS & BAL emerging as leaders for now. LAA & SFG also in the mix with TX monitoring situation.

@JesseSanchezMLB

Big news, as I'm pretty sure Sanchez is very connected to Cuban baseball player news

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
How crazy would it be if Hahn found some way to sign both Gordon and Cespedes? That would be so awesome.

Yes "ChiSoxFanMike" a.k.a. Chris Farley, that would be "awesome".

But that is about as funny as Farley was. I assume that you meant it to be in teal.

At this point I think they'll be perfectly happy with whoever ends up coming aboard (assuming we land one of these guys, which is a big assumption until it's a reality). They may have Gordon rated slightly higher than Cespedes, re:defense, but with Cespedes' younger age and more impactful bat, you really can't go wrong either way.