Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 02:43 AM)
$5.3 mil for reed LOL.

Reed pitched well for Mets, until the last inning of the WS, when he came apart like a 29 cent mop. A 7th inning set-up man in NL is where he belongs. Still, $5.3 seems like an overpay.

Had a dream last night Yo showed up at I guess Soxfest (I've never been to that or know what it looks like) haha and gave fans a chance to sell him on Chicago. The decision was between Chicago and the Dbacks which wouldn't make any sense so maybe my dreams telling me we have no competition, or he is considering us with 1 other suitor haha.

More likely I just have stupid dreams

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
How can a guy one year older who put up a war last year that beats five out of Davis' last six seasons COMBINED and plays a more important role defensively in terms of outfield assists get close to Mike Leake's deal?

Doesn't make sense.

Sure it does. He's going back to a team where the fan base loves him and the team really wants to use him as PR boosts. He is not worrth any of that to anew team. A player switching teams doesn't have the same value for him. It's probably not worth that much but remember the orioles iffered this ci tract long before anyone realized there is no money in the market this offseason. The value of a cobtract is not connected to solely his numbers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
How can a guy one year older who put up a war last year that beats five out of Davis' last six seasons COMBINED and plays a more important role defensively in terms of outfield assists get close to Mike Leake's deal?

Doesn't make sense.

Because WAR SHMORE. I doubt front offices pay much attention to the stat. I get what you're saying but Davis & Cespedes are hard players to compare and using WAR would make it even more difficult. Cespedes will probly get a bunch of money too.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Because WAR SHMORE. I doubt front offices pay much attention to the stat. I get what you're saying but Davis & Cespedes are hard players to compare and using WAR would make it even more difficult. Cespedes will probly get a bunch of money too.

You really think front offices don't look at WAR?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
How long before the first "sources say Sox still only willing to go three years" report this morning

No kidding. Now is the time sticking to their guns and hard negotiations. There is obviously no teams out there offering big deals.

Edited by ptatc

Detroit is drowning in dead money, I cant see them outbidding the Sox no matter how senile Illitch might be. If Det is the main competition they dont svare me too much.

It's the Mets that are intriguing. Despite the overpay to Reed of 5 mill+

And the Cards might be a player if it's not too crazy a market, although I think Upton is a better fit there.

Sets up an interesting weekend, seems like it's gonna pop soon.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
Sure it does. He's going back to a team where the fan base loves him and the team really wants to use him as PR boosts. He is not worrth any of that to anew team. A player switching teams doesn't have the same value for him. It's probably not worth that much but remember the orioles iffered this ci tract long before anyone realized there is no money in the market this offseason. The value of a cobtract is not connected to solely his numbers.

Even with Davis, they're still short one bat and Chen to compete in that loaded division.

It's the equivalent of the White Sox giving six years/$150 million to Cespedes and nevertheless splitting votes with the Indians for second place in the division pre-season.

That said, the White Sox would be in a much better spot to compete than the Orioles.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
Even with Davis, they're still short one bat and Chen to compete in that loaded division.

It's the equivalent of the White Sox giving six years/$150 million to Cespedes and nevertheless splitting votes with the Indians for second place in the division pre-season.

That said, the White Sox would be in a much better spot to compete than the Orioles.

None of this makes any difference in the contraat negotiations and what the deal is worth. I was commenting on you saying the deal didn't make sense in relation to what other players may get. That has nothing to do with how competitive other teams may be.