Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
It does seem odd that if the Sox and Mets are holding firm at 3 years and the Nationals are guaranteeing him 5 that he hasn't signed already.

Because the offer is bulls*** and not real. That's why. Nats have no need for Cespedes, and certainly not at $20+ million and benching another $20 million guy to make room for him. A complete agent and media ploy to get more years and money from the White Sox.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)
Because the offer is bulls*** and not real. That's why. Nats have no need for Cespedes, and certainly not at $20+ million and benching another $20 million guy to make room for him. A complete agent and media ploy to get more years and money from the White Sox.

Idk if it's bulls*** maybe cespedes wants 125 mil.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
It does seem odd that if the Sox and Mets are holding firm at 3 years and the Nationals are guaranteeing him 5 that he hasn't signed already.

the 5 years can mean so many things. It's all so hard with what's leaking what and for what purposes. It's entirely possible that it's 5 years, backloaded, but only three years are guaranteed and 4 and 5 are team options....

lots of scenarios.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)
Nats fans think its a ploy to get Mets to pay up.

I agree with Mets fans. The Nats and Mets are the only teams that will compete in that division since the Phillies and Braves are rebuilding and the Marlins are, well, the Marlins.

QUOTE (WSkid @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
If the FO thinks Cespedes is the best choice and they don`t sign him because they`re worrying about 2-3 yrs down the road then they deserve an empty ballpark.If they think Cespedes is the best bet to get to the playoffs and maybe the WS then they do whatever they have to to sign him.If they don`t think he can get them in the playoffs they shouldn`t even be talking to him.1 WS in 35 yrs they should be doing all they can to win.

I would disagree. Just because he is the best current choice doesn't mean he is the best choice later in the off season or next year, maybe the team that signs him trades someone for next to nothing.

Just because he is the hot topic doesn't mean he is the best choice.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:11 AM)
I would disagree. Just because he is the best current choice doesn't mean he is the best choice later in the off season or next year, maybe the team that signs him trades someone for next to nothing.

Just because he is the hot topic doesn't mean he is the best choice.

The FA class is extremely weak next year and they really don't have the resources to land a good OF through trade, so if they don't upgrade at RF this offseason, it'll likely be an offensive blackhole in 2017 too.

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
The FA class is extremely weak next year and they really don't have the resources to land a good OF through trade, so if they don't upgrade at RF this offseason, it'll likely be an offensive blackhole in 2017 too.

That's a possibility but not definite. They have a few really good prospects they could trade, if the return was worth it. It all depends on who becomes available.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
If any of you are interested. Scott Merkin said on this weeks podcast that he's heard about the 3 year offer for Cespedes and other sources tell him the Sox could be done for the offseason.

He's been wrong quite a bit this off season.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
Always good to look these things up before commenting. Alvarez, as a platoon DH wouldn't be required to field anything. His inability to do so is what has driven his price down to dirt cheap. 24 homers and a.799 OPS against righties last year.

I dont need to look anything up to know the Sox arent signing Alvarez while they are still stuck with Laroche.

Always good to think things thru before commenting.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
He's been wrong quite a bit this off season.

He has but would it surprise anyone if they went into the offseason with Garcia in the OF? I dont think so at all. Infact I expect it at this point.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
Why? There are other OF options still on the board. And Desmond as well, if they want another bat that badly

I still think they have perhaps delusional thoughts on what he could turn into. After all they were the ones blowing smoke up our butts about how good he could possibly be only a year ago.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:33 AM)
I still think they have perhaps delusional thoughts on what he could turn into. After all they were the ones blowing smoke up our butts about how good he could possibly be only a year ago.

Yep afraid to admit a massive scouting mistake. I also have no doubt they don't play the system with the draft picks like the Astros did last year.

Edited by fathom