Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #WhiteSox would not go 4 years on Gordon, as @BNightengale said. Will they adjust on Cespedes? Gordon 32 this season, Cespedes 30.

So maybe it wasn't posturing after all.

If they f*** this up by going on the cheap, good luck drawing this season. No f***ing chance.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
I personally feel like Gordon was the top OF prize on the market and Gordon's deal makes it MORE likely the Sox get him.

Nice thanks for taking the time Rock. Did you have a preference of the three. And what would you guess it takes that the Sox are comfortable spending that gets Cespedes in black and white?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Nice thanks for taking the time Rock. Did you have a preference of the three. And what would you guess it takes that the Sox are comfortable spending that gets Cespedes in black and white?

I think the Sox are more inclined to go four years on him which is required at least. I dont think they were ever really serious about Gordon.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
If they f*** this up by going on the cheap, good luck drawing this season. No f***ing chance.

How are they being cheap though? Dumbasses on twitter are criticizing the Sox too. It's just stupid. If Gordon went back to KC for 4 years and $72 million that means he likely wouldn't have come to Chicago for 4 years and $80 million anyway which is the max that the White Sox should have offered to a 32 year old player. Relax people. Just because he stayed in KC doesn't mean the White Sox did something wrong.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
I think the Sox are more inclined to go four years on him which is required at least. I dont think they were ever really serious about Gordon.

I think you got me off the ledge a little. Here's to you getting the call today and us hopefuly landing YO. :cheers :cheers

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
If we get him, great. If not, easy to live with not paying him 100 million dollars based off of a career year at 30

Just for the sake of accuracy Cespedes was 29 last year not 30. Albert Belle came off of a pretty huge year before the Sox signed him and for his age 30 season with the Sox his numbers did drop but that 2nd year with the Sox at age 31 he was back to being a monster again.

Of course Belle had many established seasons with the Indians unlike Cespedes who hasn't been around that long. Imagine if Cespedes ,after some time in both leagues, has a better idea now of what to expect. He could have a few more huge years ahead of him. His upside is the highest of any OF and his down side isn't as bad as Gorodn or Upton (since he would be switching leagues).

I think whoever ends up with Cespedes might end up with the most productive player out of any of the big three and you can include Heywards in that. I think Cespedes just started to figure it out last season with the Mets. Add that to playing with a fellow countrymen and friend in Abreu and hitting in your 1st hitter friendly field in his career. I think your getting a guy at the cusp of stardom and just starting his prime along with Abreu and Frazier.

I also think he becomes a better OF defensively by calling the Cell home. He had a lot of OF grass to cover in most of the fields he played in with the first few teams. And then had to deal with the Green Monster.

I just really hope we get him. It would just shock me if we did. I still can't quite grasp the thought we will spend that much money or can I see us landing a huge FA. I just get that feeling it'll fall through and we'll have to watch him rake and ask what could have been...

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
The Royals have reached agreement on a deal that will bring star left fielder Alex Gordon back to Kansas City, MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports on Twitter. An official announcement could come later today, assuming Gordon passes his physical.

Per MLBTR

This Alex Gordon ballgame is Ovah

This just puts them in a better position to compete with us.

Good deal for the Royals and I'm happy for Gordon to get to stay where he wanted to. That said, things should heat up pretty quick. I'm less optmistic today as I felt Gordon was the Sox best chance. Right now though, It certainly seems it is Cespedes or bust in terms of the initial big 3. Don't get the feeling that Upton is all that interested in the Sox (and I don't think the Sox want to offer the years it would take to get Upton).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
Good deal for the Royals and I'm happy for Gordon to get to stay where he wanted to. That said, things should heat up pretty quick. I'm less optmistic today as I felt Gordon was the Sox best chance. Right now though, It certainly seems it is Cespedes or bust in terms of the initial big 3. Don't get the feeling that Upton is all that interested in the Sox (and I don't think the Sox want to offer the years it would take to get Upton).

I figured Gordon/Royals and Davis/Orioles had to fall first. Hey Davis, take the deal, son.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
Why? The Giants payroll is sitting at about 165M. I see nothing to be worried about. Imo, that's 165M reasons the Giants have been linked to Parra and Fowler.

They've been around 189 in the past. They need an OFer, they got Samardzija and Cueto. Why go 2/3 of the way there when you can spend a little more and be a complete team, much like the Sox are doing.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
Why? The Giants payroll is sitting at about 165M. I see nothing to be worried about. Imo, that's 165M reasons the Giants have been linked to Parra and Fowler.

You are assuming they are close to their payroll limit and cant shell out another contract. I am not.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
They've been around 189 in the past. They need an OFer, they got Samardzija and Cueto. Why go 2/3 of the way there when you can spend a little more and be a complete team, much like the Sox are doing.

Indeed they have but if the Giants sign a player like Cespedes it puts them very close to the luxury tax threshold and really doesn't leave them much space at all for mid-season acquisitions. I seriously doubt they are players for either one of Cespedes/Upton.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
You are assuming they are close to their payroll limit and cant shell out another contract. I am not.

On the flip side you are assuming they are willing to add a huge contract like Cespedes, I am not.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Indeed they have but if the Giants sign a player like Cespedes it puts them very close to the luxury tax threshold and really doesn't leave them much space at all for mid-season acquisitions. I seriously doubt they are players for either one of Cespedes/Upton.

On the flip side you are assuming they are willing to add a huge contract like Cespedes, I am not.

giphy.gif

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
I think Cespedes is a bad fit for the Giants, and a quick look at their message boards/forums has their fans thinking the same thing, they all seem to prefer Fowler (though that obviously doesn't mean anything for the FO).

I can see that. Look at their lineup - they have no holes, except for CF.

On the other hand, I doubt their anxious to give up a draft choice. Their farm doesn't get much Keith Law love, but certainly churns out some high-end talent.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
I am just so surprised that Davis didn't accept the O's offer.

He's a moron if he thinks he can get more $$$ somewhere else.

Huh? He was offered 7/150 so why would he be a moron for rejecting only $15 mill guaranteed? Your comment doesn't make any sense because he can get more money.

Edited by soxfan2014