Will you be surprised with no addition

CyAcosta41

Will You Be Surprised if the Sox Do NOT Acquire Another Significant Player Before SoxFest 2016?

Yes ...

because we've got an all-world 1-3 starting staff in Sale, Q, and Rodon;

a middle of the order thumper in Abreu (who I think is due for a big year after injuries and a bit of the sophomore jinx);

new talented offensive players for the next 2 years in Frazier and Lawrie;

a potentially solid, perhaps 3 WAR catching tandem;

a high-priced very good (even if not great) closer in Robertson, fronting an overall solid relief staff;

and we have NOT finished the job. The offense could and should be made better. And any number of ways can bring improvements. Pick your poison: front line free agents like Fowler, Jackson, and Desmond; plug-a-hole free agents like Raburn and others; trade candidates like Ethier, Markakis, and others. My point right here is not to debate the pros and cons of each one of these potential player additions because we have thread after thread already doing that. My point here is simply to say that I would indeed be surprised if we didn't do SOMETHING, bring in SOMEONE, because there are holes to fill and ample players available to fill said holes.

And if the above wasn't enough ...

Yes (for a different reason) ...

I would be VERY surprised if the generally PR conscious Sox allow SoxFest 2016 to get underway with the fairly decent excitement generated by Frazier and Lawrie having dissipated through the failure (for whatever reason) of landing ANY of the so-called Big Three. I always chuckle when I see posts that suggest the Sox management team is (for lack of a better term) "stupid." Hardly. The Sox are run by some very smart people. Sure, their "smart plans" might turn out to sometimes be misguided. Or, sometimes a plan might be solid, but it just doesn't work out. But they are not stupid. They know they've lost ground to the Cubs in this town. (And yes ... while games we play against the Cubs barely matter, we do compete with them every day for headlines and dollars in our hometown.) I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if they don't start SoxFest 2016 with one more bang, even if it's a minor one. If they don't, I wouldn't call it stupid, but I might call it "tone deaf."

No. And I need to make up my mind whether to buy mlb.com this year. I don't think our offseason acquisitions make us a contender. I have zero confidence in Robin's ability to get the team to overachieve.

Sox desperately need one more stud hitter to go with Abreu.

Abreu almost single handedly gives me a reason to get the mlb package though to go with Sale and Q.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:25 AM)
No. And I need to make up my mind whether to buy mlb.com this year. I don't think our offseason acquisitions make us a contender. I have zero confidence in Robin's ability to get the team to overachieve.

Abreu almost single handedly gives me a reason to get the mlb package though to go with Sale and Q.

if the sox do nothing else, i will not by mlb.com or direct tv or anything that could show sox baseball.

if they get an of'er i will buy something.

if they get an of'er and a sp.... i will fly into chi for several games on 2 separate times to catch the sox games.

Reading the tea leaves of Merkin and Harrelson's recent comments, betting money would be on "no."

Still, it seems, as you stated, very tone deaf to the prevailing mood in the fanbase at the moment.

Despondent is not quite the right word, but frustrated is closer.

As you also stated, they're not dumb. So forcing a move right now, just to fit it into the PR storyline of Sox Fest...that's almost always going to work out short-term smart but long-term stupid.

After everything that went down with the Big 3, unless there's any compelling evidence to the contrary...we're going to have to take the word of KW and Hahn that the right deals were not out there at the moment, and that the team considered all the possibilities and felt waiting until mid-season was the right move, with all the attendant risks of getting buried in April and May and having another lost/development season.

Nobody will like that answer...we heard it basically when nothing happened one way or the other last trade deadline.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
if the sox do nothing else, i will not by mlb.com or direct tv or anything that could show sox baseball.

if they get an of'er i will buy something.

if they get an of'er and a sp.... i will fly into chi for several games on 2 separate times to catch the sox games.

I don't think mlb.com is for sale, guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
If you are a team like the Dodgers, Rangers or Cubs, it makes sense to say you will look at mid-season trades due to system depth. Signing players for money instead of giving up your few resources is so much smarter for the Sox.

Look no further than 2012...we added Hudson, Youkilis (granted, that was unusual with Middlebrooks and that whole situation where he was forced out), Myers and Liriano for basically Eduardo Escobar.

The White Sox should theoretically be in that position (if they don't add significantly to payroll now) where they can add veterans like a CarGo or Ethier but have already "saved" the first 3-4 months of their salaries.

As far as trading away key prospects, yeah...that doesn't look as likely, but you never know who will emerge in the first 2-3 months of the season and become desirable to other teams' scouts.

I think it's possible a trade could be done before SoxFest but not so sure on signing a FA. FA signings are determined on the players percieved best offer which might not come until after SoxFest.

I do believe the Sox will add one more player before ST. Call it blind fandom but there is still time and players available.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
As you also stated, they're not dumb. So forcing a move right now, just to fit it into the PR storyline of Sox Fest...that's almost always going to work out short-term smart but long-term stupid.

In no way I was I suggesting "forcing" a move right now to garner PR points at SoxFest. Of course not.

That said, there are so many worthwhile additions in this wide-open marketplace. Presumably, they've been mapping out plans B, C, and D as one by one their chances at the Big Three got away from them. It's difficult for me to believe that they'd have to engage in some rapid-paced negotiation (whether FA or trade) to get something done today or tomorrow. Instead, it's much more likely that it's pulling the trigger on something already proposed, or, applying some pressure on a FA or team to have them you know what or get off the pot.

At the end of the day, the PR spike the Sox get for a significant move is real. Agents for FAs and GMs for other teams either know this or should be told this. As it plays out in my mind, Rick's part of the conversation is something akin to: "The deal on the table is open for X hours. It's worth far more to us if we do it before SoxFest opens. Not saying we'll stop talking if we don't do it by X, but you need to understand it won't be the same deal because we're giving you our best deal before SoxFest, so we can parlay it into positive PR and excitement. That's only common sense."

Rick, if you're reading, feel free to use my strategy and/or my language. It's on me, bud. Well, buy me a churro at one of the cold April games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:34 AM)
Reading the tea leaves of Merkin and Harrelson's recent comments, betting money would be on "no."

Still, it seems, as you stated, very tone deaf to the prevailing mood in the fanbase at the moment.

Despondent is not quite the right word, but frustrated is closer.

After everything that went down with the Big 3, unless there's any compelling evidence to the contrary...we're going to have to take the word of KW and Hahn that the right deals were not out there at the moment, and that the team considered all the possibilities and felt waiting until mid-season was the right move, with all the attendant risks of getting buried in April and May and having another lost/development season.

Nobody will like that answer...we heard it basically when nothing happened one way or the other last trade deadline.

Excellent post, one of your best ever IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)

How could you not buy it? Just curious. I like the team enough to post on a message board regularly about the team but you are contemplating not paying the $$ to watch them play? I guess I take it for granted because I can watch whenever I want but if I lived out of state I feel like I'd buy it no matter what.

I wouldn't be shocked if they don't do something before Soxfest, but will be shocked if they don't do something before Opening Day.

I am sure they have wanted to do something just as much as anyone on this board, but in the end it didn't make sense for them. We all, myself included, have no problem spending someone else's money, but we all make the same types of decisions in our lives when buying things. Sometimes the cost doesn't justify the purchase.

Thanks to the mods/admins who shortened my title to make it fit.

One minor quibble is the change of word from surprise to shock. It makes a better headline, but does change the meaning.

I said I would be personally SURPRISED if the Sox didn't have a move up their sleeve prior to SoxFest for two reasons: (1) they have holes and ample ways to fill those holes exist in the market; and (2) they are generally hip to PR and I can't believe they don't recognize all the good will they lost because of the futile Big Three chase (even if the chances of getting any of the Big Three was likely slim and none). The mood at SoxFest might be ugly (at times) and certainly will be tepid at best -- and I'd like to think they'd expedite a move that's already out there to help out in that way too (not force a move, expedite an already likely move -- big difference).

But it wouldn't SHOCK me if nothing happens before SoxFest (now tomorrow). For one thing, sometimes you try, but swing and miss. So SHOCK is a bit strong.

All that said, for me personally, I'd be surprised if they don't make a move because there are strong reasons to make one -- in general and right now. However, truth be told, I'm not at all expecting them to. Sadly, like many fans unfortunately, I'm getting used to an ownership and management group that seems to lack Hawk's proverbial TWTW.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 05:43 AM)
How could you not buy it? Just curious. I like the team enough to post on a message board regularly about the team but you are contemplating not paying the $$ to watch them play? I guess I take it for granted because I can watch whenever I want but if I lived out of state I feel like I'd buy it no matter what.

I actually canceled my subscription for the first time in years last season when I saw LaRoche take a called third strike, drop his head and do that slow, uninterested walk back to the dugout. Could not believe that I was paying to watch him and Avi and I simply stopped doing it.