2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
Whatever it is, it's working. Although being good at baseball probably helps.

Not sure I love this move, but they have so much depth it doesn't really matter.

So they trade him away in ST and then get him back 2 months later?

Isn't Alcantara still a somewhat decent prospect?

Edited by chw42

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
So they trade him away in ST and then get him back 2 months later?

Isn't Alcantara still a somewhat decent prospect?

That's why I'm not quite sure I like this move. Of all the Cubs prospects, he looked the most like a replacement level player, but I still wouldn't trade him for a nobody like Coghlan.

This might be a nice deal for Oakland if Alcantara can figure it out. If I remember correctly he played very well for the Cubs when he was called up a few years ago and was in the Young Stars game as well. However he either got bad or the NL figured him out and he was sent down to AAA early last year. Just looking at his numbers now they look a little bit better this year. A's probably get the better of this trade as Coghlan has not been good this year and is a UFA at season's end. Cubs must figure he might be able to turn it around with them as a depth guy. A's get a guy who has had some success at the big league level but was probably never in the Cubs long term plans after last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
Hopefully the clean out the farm system.

The Cubs are just a little premature. If I had to guess, they would want to maintain whatever big league depth they needed and maybe consider a move like this in a year or two, but I don't know. Their best players are still quite young.

Sports

Report: Cubs looking at Betances, Miller, Chapman

Comcast SportsNet New York Sun, Jun 12 1:29 PM PDT Like Reblog on Tumblr Tweet

The Cubs, seeking to improve their bullpen, sent scouts to Yankee Stadium this weekend to watch relievers Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman and Dellin Betances, according to George King of the Post. The Cubs, who were 42-18 before Sunday, has a strong closer in Hector Rondon, but are interested in strengthening the rest of their bullpen. The Yankees have been cool to the idea of a deal, but could become more open if they continue to tread water in the AL East. King reported Cubs prospects like infielder Javier Baez or third baseman Jeimer Candelario could be trade targets. ...

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Sports

Report: Cubs looking at Betances, Miller, Chapman

Comcast SportsNet New York Sun, Jun 12 1:29 PM PDT Like Reblog on Tumblr Tweet

The Cubs, seeking to improve their bullpen, sent scouts to Yankee Stadium this weekend to watch relievers Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman and Dellin Betances, according to George King of the Post. The Cubs, who were 42-18 before Sunday, has a strong closer in Hector Rondon, but are interested in strengthening the rest of their bullpen. The Yankees have been cool to the idea of a deal, but could become more open if they continue to tread water in the AL East. King reported Cubs prospects like infielder Javier Baez or third baseman Jeimer Candelario could be trade targets. ...

lol in what world would the Yankees trade Betances? He's under control for cheap for the next 3 years I think. If they trade anyone, it's Chapman.

Sports

Cubs rolling the dice with another former Orioles top pitching prospect

CSN Chicago 3 hours ago Like Reblog on Tumblr Tweet

WASHINGTON – This might be a worst nightmare for the Cubs in October, a $210 million ace at the absolute top of his game, using all his weapons and making this lineup look helpless. The Washington Nationals seem unbeatable when Max Scherzer pitches like this. Scherzer took a perfect game into the sixth inning on Monday night at Nationals Park, giving the Cubs flashbacks to the New York Mets and the power pitching that swept them out of the National League Championship Series. “That’s what we ran into last year,” manager Joe Maddon said after a 4-1 loss. “We ran into the Mets and we didn’t put the ball in play enough, and that’s what we got to really strive to do – at least move the ball and give ...

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/cub...tching-prospect

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Dan Plesac said that the Cubs should trade Schwarber for Andrew Miller. That would be stupid. There's no way Theo does that. Schwarber could headline a package for a frontline starter. Why would they deal him for a 30+ year old reliever?

I would love to see the Cubs do that.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Sports

Cubs rolling the dice with another former Orioles top pitching prospect

CSN Chicago 3 hours ago Like Reblog on Tumblr Tweet

WASHINGTON – This might be a worst nightmare for the Cubs in October, a $210 million ace at the absolute top of his game, using all his weapons and making this lineup look helpless. The Washington Nationals seem unbeatable when Max Scherzer pitches like this. Scherzer took a perfect game into the sixth inning on Monday night at Nationals Park, giving the Cubs flashbacks to the New York Mets and the power pitching that swept them out of the National League Championship Series. “That’s what we ran into last year,” manager Joe Maddon said after a 4-1 loss. “We ran into the Mets and we didn’t put the ball in play enough, and that’s what we got to really strive to do – at least move the ball and give ...

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/cub...tching-prospect

What the Cubs are picking up washed out busts? I thought only the White Sox did that?

Nationals rally to tie it...Ramos for a struggling veteran closer, one of the two dumbest trades in Twins' history, along with JJ Hardy to Balt for nothing of significance.

And of course Almora is 6 for his first 16 with three doubles. Figures.

Edited by caulfield12