Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk

ron883

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
Heh, of all the s*** players you could have named you chose the one guy Hawk would have left the booth to check on. Gotta make sure that seat didn't impact his strong arm.

If Abreu got hurt, Hawk would send (in his words) a Latin.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 12, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
This is just too much. See my comments in bold.

"Harry was a legend, but he's been gone and he was with the Cubs longer. Seriously, Harry has nothing to do with Hawk, though."

Not even close to being true. Harry Caray was only the Cubs announcer for 16 seasons, Hawk is in his 31st season with the Sox.

"So when Avi went down with his shoulder, why didn't Hawk run down to the clubhouse? He has watched a ton of injuries, why the heck is Frazier special?"

The difference is that most injuries you have a pretty good idea what happened. Frazier jumped up and immediately ran off the field covering his face. It was pretty scary to watch. I think Hawk was just genuinely worried about him and just had to see what was going on.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 13, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
"Harry was a legend, but he's been gone and he was with the Cubs longer. Seriously, Harry has nothing to do with Hawk, though."

Not even close to being true. Harry Caray was only the Cubs announcer for 16 seasons, Hawk is in his 31st season with the Sox.

I think he meant Caray's tenure with the Cubs was longer than Caray's tenure with the Sox.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
I'm willing to bet that Jason Benetti over the next 25 years or so, never leaves the broadcast to check on a player. How many times has Vin Scully done it? I'll wait for my answer.

Only because players and former players don't want to have anything to do with nerds... ;)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 13, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Anyone bashing Hawk for leaving the booth to check on Frazier is blinded by their hatred for Hawk well past the point of being reasonable.

LOL What? This is nonsense. I don't hate Hawk. It is absurd that he left the broadcast to check on a player though. Would he do the same thing is Carlos Sanchez or Tyler Saladino hit their face on a chair?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
LOL What? This is nonsense. I don't hate Hawk. It is absurd that he left the broadcast to check on a player though. Would he do the same thing is Carlos Sanchez or Tyler Saladino hit their face on a chair?

Exactly. This simply isn't professional. The Sox would absolutely give an update to the broadcasters to air for the fans.

Mark

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
LOL What? This is nonsense. I don't hate Hawk.

Okay buddy whatever you say.

Here's some quotes from you on Hawk.

Hawk is the laughingstock of MLB. The broadcast booth is widely regarded as the worst in baseball......and STEVE STONE is in it.

Hawk is offending my baseball sensibilities. White Sox fans (me included) used to rip the Cubs for having Santo in the booth. We have our own caricature in the booth and he's not even being hidden as the analyst. He would be the color guy.

In reference to Hawk being gone:

Having a professional broadcaster is a good thing.

I'll stop there but there's more. Getting riled up over this non-event is lame. Accept you can't help but be biased against Hawk and move on.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 13, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Okay buddy whatever you say.

Here's some quotes from you on Hawk.

In reference to Hawk being gone:

I'll stop there but there's more. Getting riled up over this non-event is lame. Accept you can't help but be biased against Hawk and move on.

I'm not riled up. Nor do I hate him. I grew up listening to the guy. He's not good at his job anymore though. Is he paying you? You found those quotes awful fast like you have them saved them in a folder or something.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I'm not riled up. Nor do I hate him. I grew up listening to the guy. He's not good at his job anymore though. Is he paying you? You found those quotes awful fast like you have them saved them in a folder or something.

I mean it was 20 minutes after you posted. It doesn't take nearly that long to use Google. Not sure where you're trying to go with that.

Anyways, the point stands. Your bias is blinding you here. This is a non event at best.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 13, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I mean it was 20 minutes after you posted. It doesn't take nearly that long to use Google. Not sure where you're trying to go with that.

Anyways, the point stands. Your bias is blinding you here. This is a non event at best.

I don't even care that much though. I posted like 3 times in the entire thread about this situation. I think it was dumb and unprofessional but I don't think it's that big of a deal either.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Exactly. This simply isn't professional. The Sox would absolutely give an update to the broadcasters to air for the fans.

Mark

Since when did we think Hawk was professional? As we have stated like 4000 times on this message board, many love Hawk because he is exactly like us - he is a superfan. He feels the same things we do and he often says them. Whether you prefer that style or you prefer the more professional style, one cannot deny that there is some portion of the fanbase that loves it.

I could give a s*** if it is professional for Hawk to go down and get us an update. What I appreciated is that he did and I knew Frazier was going to be fine rather than having to wait for some schlep that Frazier didn't trust to give me some vague report only confirming what I already know - that Frazier injured his mouth.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 13, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)

This goes back to why I love the guy. He lives and dies with the White Sox, and the emotion he puts into a game corresponds with that. There is literally no one else on the planet who will give you that. It is a big part of what makes Hawk, Hawk.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
Since when did we think Hawk was professional? As we have stated like 4000 times on this message board, many love Hawk because he is exactly like us - he is a superfan. He feels the same things we do and he often says them. Whether you prefer that style or you prefer the more professional style, one cannot deny that there is some portion of the fanbase that loves it.

I could give a s*** if it is professional for Hawk to go down and get us an update. What I appreciated is that he did and I knew Frazier was going to be fine rather than having to wait for some schlep that Frazier didn't trust to give me some vague report only confirming what I already know - that Frazier injured his mouth.

Hawk is, by definition, a professional. We expect him to act like it.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 13, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Hawk is, by definition, a professional. We expect him to act like it.

In the literal sense, sure.

In the figurative sense, he's a former player and a fan sitting in the booth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
You would think people who supposedly can't stand Hawk and think the entire organization should be embarrassed by his presence, would be happy he left the broadcast for a little bit to go to the clubhouse.

I don't think any of us want Steve Stone to pull double duty.

QUOTE (shakes @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
I'm completely on board with this camp. I thought what he did yesterday just proves how big of a sideshow he has become.

His act grew tiresome almost a decade ago and to me has been intolerable for the past 5 years. I'm so happy Jason is on board and am happy to at least listen to the volume during home games.

If you didn't have the volume on, how did you know Hawk went to the clubhouse?

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 13, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
He has the volume on. He's just not happy about it.

So not happy Hawk is talking, and not happy Hawk is away from the booth.

Personally, I think Hawk's reduced schedule, which also included him skipping spring training, is making him feel like an outsider. And I think the team off to a nice start makes that even harder. It might be another reason he went to check on Frazier, but he's has done that before with a couple of guys getting hurt. This wasn't a first except for the complaining by those that don't want to listen to him anyway.