Sox attended Lincecum showcase day - Angels expected to sign him

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
What's the risk in giving Lincecum a million dollars on a "prove it" type deal?

I'm all for it. He has postseason experience, is right handed, and has to be better than Danks.

Because he hasn't been good in a long time, is coming off an injury and most likely won't help the team at all. He has sucked for years before he hurt his hip. Why all of a sudden would he be decent? And if velocity is your deal, he throws about as hard as Danks these days.

Signing him is setting yourself up to be disappointed.

The "oh it was worth a shot" doesn't work here. It would be like signing Tom Seaver because he was good once, has playoff experience and throws righthanded. You're just wasting money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Because he hasn't been good in a long time, is coming off an injury and most likely won't help the team at all. He has sucked for years before he hurt his hip. Why all of a sudden would he be decent? And if velocity is your deal, he throws about as hard as Danks these days.

Signing him is setting yourself up to be disappointed.

The "oh it was worth a shot" doesn't work here. It would be like signing Tom Seaver because he was good once, has playoff experience and throws righthanded. You're just wasting money.

What other alternatives are there? Do you want to trot Danks out there every 5 days knowing that it'll be an automatic loss? I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't.

Lincecum isn't perfect and hasn't been good for awhile. I get that. But Danks has got to go and maybe Lincecum will be motivated to pitch for a good team and a new contract.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
What other alternatives are there? Do you want to trot Danks out there every 5 days knowing that it'll be an automatic loss? I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't.

Lincecum isn't perfect and hasn't been good for awhile. I get that. But Danks has got to go and maybe Lincecum will be motivated to pitch for a good team and a new contract.

Aren't you the guy who said he hated Jose Abreu in a gamethread? If you hate Abreu, there isn't a word strong enough to convey what your dislike for Lincecum would be if he pitched for the White Sox. The Sox have 3 better alternatives in house, and another month and a half before they should be able to get something from a team wanting to cut bait.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
Aren't you the guy who said he hated Jose Abreu in a gamethread? If you hate Abreu, there isn't a word strong enough to convey what your dislike for Lincecum would be if he pitched for the White Sox. The Sox have 3 better alternatives in house, and another month and a half before they should be able to get something from a team wanting to cut bait.

Who? Gonzalez? Johnson? Turner?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
Who? Gonzalez? Johnson? Turner?

Yes. When was the last time Lincecum faced major league hitters? He has been trying to build up enough strength to look decent at a showcase. At this point, I would bet Danks is as good as he is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Yes. When was the last time Lincecum faced major league hitters? He has been trying to build up enough strength to look decent at a showcase. At this point, I would bet Danks is as good as he is.

He's pitched in MLB more recently than Turner has

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
He's pitched in MLB more recently than Turner has

Last June and had surgery. Besides he wants to go back to the Giants. Surgically repaired pitchers don't seem to fare so well less than a year after major surgery. Especially guys who haven't been good for half a decade anyway. His fastball last year was the same as Danks' this year. If you didn't like the 2015 Danks heater, Lincecum hasn't thrown that hard in a couple of years. If you are going to replace a gas can, replacing it with another obvious gas can doesn't make much sense to me. The guy even cut his hair. Why bother?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
Last June and had surgery. Besides he wants to go back to the Giants. Surgically repaired pitchers don't seem to fare so well less than a year after major surgery. Especially guys who haven't been good for half a decade anyway. His fastball last year was the same as Danks' this year. If you didn't like the 2015 Danks heater, Lincecum hasn't thrown that hard in a couple of years. If you are going to replace a gas can, replacing it with another obvious gas can doesn't make much sense to me. The guy even cut his hair. Why bother?

This.

The only only reason for the Sox to be there is to tell the teams that "lose" out on Lincecum that they can have Danks as a consolation prize.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)

No one has ever said they "hated" Jose Abreu.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
No one has ever said they "hated" Jose Abreu.

Go to the game thread when he dropped the throw from Frazier and Baltimore tied it up. 4/30 post #423

Nightingale was on CSN and said Lincecum really isn't a fit for the White Sox. He thinks he would be very unsuccessful in the AL.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
Go to the game thread when he dropped the throw from Frazier and Baltimore tied it up. 4/30 post #423

Nightingale was on CSN and said Lincecum really isn't a fit for the White Sox. He thinks he would be very unsuccessful in the AL.

:lol: just read that because I didn't partake in the Gamethread much that night. Just silly in game frustration I'm sure.